2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1555037 11/10/10 05:22 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I need some professional advice from a piano teacher's perspective, not a adult beginner or anyone else for that matter. This is kind of way out there, but here it goes. Here's my dilemma, I'm 26 years old and been trying to learn to play for a couple years now (It's honestly my #1 goal in life and dream). That being said, I am in a space right now where I don't have to work, so I have been practicing all day, trying to get through Alfred Book 2. I know that to reach a certain goal, sacrifices must be made. I was supposed to go for this job and want to do other stuff in my life, but I feel I don't know how to balance everything out. Because in the past I noticed when I work it becomes too much and I make piano my second priority and I don't want to do that. I want to make it #1 and get through book 2 and on to book 3. So basically my question is this, is it better for me to keep doing what I am doing and sit at the piano all day and just play/practice all day throughout? or take the job and make a scheduled set practice time everyday? I guess I am afraid to take the job and do other things because my piano learning will be lagging because how much can you practice if your not sitting at the piano all day. Basically I don't know how to balance everything out and need some advice. Lately I have been practicing 7 8 9 hours a day, just at my own leisure throughout the day. So my question would be do I take the job and live my life and set aside practice time everyday? But to me that's like putting piano on the back burner and I don't want to do that, because thats not how you get good. Basically, I'm asking is it better to practice all day as you wish whenever you want at your leisure kind of thing? or take the job and do other things and set aside a couple hours everyday for practicing? almost on a schedule, where as now i dont have one.

sorry for the long read, if you can bear with me and try to understand where I'm coming from, you'll understand.

much feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by joeb84; 11/10/10 05:23 PM.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
My advice is to find a good teacher who will help you work out the best way to tackle your learning. Just putting in time as such doesn't do it - it's what you actually do with the time. It's conceivable that someone could spend 12 hours a day on the piano practising things the wrong way and actually go backwards.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that 8 hours X 5 days = 2 hours X 20 days. Developing skills takes time and patience as well as practice. Most pianists did their initial learning at the rate of (probably at most) 1-2 hours per day, whilst going to school or working.

It depends what your goals are, of course, but there's no magic bullet, and it takes time to consolidate skills.

And I really think you need the guidance of a good teacher. Good luck.

Du holde Kunst...
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
joeb84,
A question comes to mind which is how are you supporting yourself financially without working for pay? I would say your first priority should be to be self sufficient financially.

What I also hear you say is that you want to be SOMEBODY. And you're thinking if you excel in playing piano you will be somebody. I would say that you are already SOMEBODY. And doing the responsible thing (working for pay, doing your best at a job) will not hold you back. I have personally found I've progressed best by having a good teacher and consisently, daily putting in an hour of practice.

Do the responsible thing and get a job. Use some of the money for a teacher and have confidence that you can still have the discipline of daily piano practice. That's my two cents. smile

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
hey i think if you took that job, that it would make you appreciate playing alot more, and you would have something to look forward to on your time off. I know when I'm at work (like i am right now), sitting at my piano is all I can think about and all's I do is spend my time at work on these boards. It makes me feel like there's something worth living for, and I don't think that cutting your practice time will in half would do much harm because you have so much of it. good luck.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
OK. I am an experienced piano teacher. When you're 26 years old and Alfred Book 2 is where you're at, and you're practicing several hours per day, then either you need a good teacher RIGHT NOW, TODAY, or you need to be honest, take the job, and make piano your number 15 priority. If you honestly practice seven hours a day, then you are seriously wasting all your time. With that huge amount of practice, you should finish Alfred Book 2 in about two or three weeks, a couple of months tops. Alfred Book 2, in the piano world, is the second step of kindergarten; finishing it is no big deal, and with all the work you're doing on it, you should have been done long ago.

Summary: Get a good teacher who will help you really get something done in your practice time (which is currently a horrible waste of time because you aren't learning much), or take the job and reduce your practice to maximum one hour a day.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
My advice is to find a good teacher who will help you work out the best way to tackle your learning. Just putting in time as such doesn't do it - it's what you actually do with the time. It's conceivable that someone could spend 12 hours a day on the piano practising things the wrong way and actually go backwards.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that 8 hours X 5 days = 2 hours X 20 days. Developing skills takes time and patience as well as practice. Most pianists did their initial learning at the rate of (probably at most) 1-2 hours per day, whilst going to school or working.

It depends what your goals are, of course, but there's no magic bullet, and it takes time to consolidate skills.

And I really think you need the guidance of a good teacher. Good luck.

my point exactly. i don't think im practicing the right way. although i usually review in the morning when i wake up. then on to the new stuff and repeat various works at leisure throughout the day. i'll be honest it's kind of a bum way to do it. thats the options i was trying to weigh.

the quantity of my time vs the quality of my time spent practicing? i just can't tell if i'm better off doing the 2 hrs a day of quality time vs say 8 hrs of back and forth of me on the computer and piano and "at leisure". its not really professional or scheduled. you know. i dunno. then on the other hand with a job i become overwhelmed so it becomes too much. so am i just screwed either way or what?

someone please help lol shocked i'm just so anxious to learn that i think i just try to do it all at once and don't want to wait, but i know it doesnt work like that. i relate it to the tortoise and the hair. cause ill go for months or weeks of not practicing to 8 hrs a day. when im probably better off just doing 2 hrs a day. i dont know why im like that, but the help and feedback is much appreciated. sorry for the shorthand typing, its just faster. shocked

Last edited by joeb84; 11/10/10 06:14 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Let's make it four for four. Somethings not correct if you're stalled on a level 2 book and putting in that amount of time. A competent teacher will spot the problem in seconds, and you'll stop wasting your time.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by david_a
OK. I am an experienced piano teacher. When you're 26 years old and Alfred Book 2 is where you're at, and you're practicing several hours per day, then either you need a good teacher RIGHT NOW, TODAY, or you need to be honest, take the job, and make piano your number 15 priority. If you honestly practice seven hours a day, then you are seriously wasting all your time. With that huge amount of practice, you should finish Alfred Book 2 in about two or three weeks, a couple of months tops. Alfred Book 2, in the piano world, is the second step of kindergarten; finishing it is no big deal, and with all the work you're doing on it, you should have been done long ago.

Summary: Get a good teacher who will help you really get something done in your practice time (which is currently a horrible waste of time because you aren't learning much), or take the job and reduce your practice to maximum one hour a day.

yeah but question? if i don't take the job, won't i be able to get through book 2 quicker like i did with book 1? and 2. if i rush through it and just get thru as fast i can which is my goal, will i still retain all the information, or will i be going too fast?

and i know your right it is like kindergarten, it's easy stuff for the most part i find, it's like made for little kids. but i been through various softwares the emedia stuff. and this is the first time where im counting notes and rhythm and actually reading a piece of sheet music, where as before i had a casio lighted keyboard and software and would just " play along" not understanding how to read music notes and rhthyms. so alfreds has helped alot.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Let's make it four for four. Somethings not correct if you're stalled on a level 2 book and putting in that amount of time. A competent teacher will spot the problem in seconds, and you'll stop wasting your time.

no no. im not stalled. i just dont know if i should take this job cause i feel if i don't ill be able to get through book 2 quicker. cause it will be like my number one priority. i dunno sometimes i think im doing the right thing when im really not, cause there's 24 hrs in day. you can do alot.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by joeb84
no no. im not stalled. i just dont know if i should take this job cause i feel if i don't ill be able to get through book 2 quicker. cause it will be like my number one priority. i dunno sometimes i think im doing the right thing when im really not, cause there's 24 hrs in day. you can do alot.
*sigh* Just reread the responses you've had so far. All seem to say much the same thing.

Or are you waiting for someone to say "no, don't take the job, just spend 12 hours a day practising Alfreds #2"?

You'll be able to "get through book 2 quicker" if you get a good teacher to show you how.

Du holde Kunst...
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

yeah but question? if i don't take the job, won't i be able to get through book 2 quicker like i did with book 1? and 2. if i rush through it and just get thru as fast i can which is my goal, will i still retain all the information, or will i be going too fast?

and i know your right it is like kindergarten, it's easy stuff for the most part i find, it's like made for little kids. but i been through various softwares the emedia stuff. and this is the first time where im counting notes and rhythm and actually reading a piece of sheet music, where as before i had a casio lighted keyboard and software and would just " play along" not understanding how to read music notes and rhthyms. so alfreds has helped alot.
I know you don't think you're stalled, but you are in fact ninety-nine and a half percent stalled. You just haven't noticed because you don't have anything to compare to.

All the books and all the media are too much for you to handle without somebody listening to spot any problems you might have.

I think you should take the job, which will pay for the teacher, and practice as much as you can. With the teacher's help, you can get more done in one hour a day than you are getting in seven hours right now.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I know you don't think you're stalled, but you are in fact ninety-nine and a half percent stalled. You just haven't noticed because you don't have anything to compare to.

All the books and all the media are too much for you to handle without somebody listening to spot any problems you might have.

I think you should take the job, which will pay for the teacher, and practice as much as you can. With the teacher's help, you can get more done in one hour a day than you are getting in seven hours right now.

thats what i was thinking. its all about making the most out of your time. longer isn't always better is it? thats another question that i have. to the piano teachers out there. what matters more the quality of the practicing or quantity? imo 1 hour or quality practice is better than 8 hrs of bad practicing, am i right? funny i dont practice what i preach. wow. eek

Last edited by joeb84; 11/10/10 07:12 PM.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
joe, I won't harp on this again, but really you will feel better about yourself if you decide to take steps to be fully self supporting (not relying on someone else to support you financially.) This is fundamental to spiritual and emotional growth IMO.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
joe, I won't harp on this again, but really you will feel better about yourself if you decide to take steps to be fully self supporting (not relying on someone else to support you financially.) This is fundamental to spiritual and emotional growth IMO.

this i know. another thing i need work on. i need work on all areas of my life. i want to say lol, but its not even funny. i just wish everything weren't so hard and took so long. i just want to start doing things the right way but don't know how and need help. not just piano, all aspects of my life.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Hi Joe,
All you can do is make one helpful decision at a time moving in the direction you want to go. It can be as simple as showing up for the job. Then gathering info about available teachers. Doesn't have to be hard or overwhelming. Think of it as new experiences unfolding. And you're not in a race. smile I wish you well!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
Hi Joe,
All you can do is make one helpful decision at a time moving in the direction you want to go. It can be as simple as showing up for the job. Then gathering info about available teachers. Doesn't have to be hard or overwhelming. Think of it as new experiences unfolding. And you're not in a race. smile I wish you well!

thank you and everyone else for their insight. any other feedback or thoughts would help me a lot for the future and my decision making since obviously i am not very good at making decisions on my own. thank you all.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
david is right.A good teacher is like a magician. Truly! How to practise and how to learn and all the side dishes to be served of exactly the right diet of theory and writing and listening and performance opportunities and perfect body hand and finger use that is preparing you for future pieces that the teacher already has in mind for you. When you get a teacher be prepared to completely change the way you practise, from the fundamentals to the details, but if you are confident in the teacher your enthusiasm and dedication will allow you to make this challenging transition.

But... You don't have to learn quickly. I just want you to know that it's possible so that you can think about the way you spend your time and what you want to get out of life. Maybe it will help you to make a decision about this.

My other thought is that by your post it looks like you have a serious addiction!! Be greatful that it is not harmful like some other possibilities. I'll tell you my story:
About 7 years ago I had a very nice job. All was going fine but then I discovered (well rediscovered) music. It filled my head, my mind and my imagination. I couldn't think about work any more, I was possessed. I had saved enough money working, so after some time I quit. Just like that - in order to explore music at home. But I got me a great and sympathetic teacher!!! Not too much later I enrolled in fulltime music study, learned lots and lots, and now am a full time professional musician. Your addiction may be very useful if you harness it in the right way. For me, I knew that good teacher wouldn't just get me there faster, but that I would be unlikely to move forward much at all without it.

Good luck with your music adventures smile

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
i guess its always cause i looked for the quick way out or quick route and fastest results possible. should have known it doesn't work like that, especially with learning piano. i wish.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
david is right.A good teacher is like a magician. Truly! How to practise and how to learn and all the side dishes to be served of exactly the right diet of theory and writing and listening and performance opportunities and perfect body hand and finger use that is preparing you for future pieces that the teacher already has in mind for you. When you get a teacher be prepared to completely change the way you practise, from the fundamentals to the details, but if you are confident in the teacher your enthusiasm and dedication will allow you to make this challenging transition.

But... You don't have to learn quickly. I just want you to know that it's possible so that you can think about the way you spend your time and what you want to get out of life. Maybe it will help you to make a decision about this.

My other thought is that by your post it looks like you have a serious addiction!! Be greatful that it is not harmful like some other possibilities. I'll tell you my story:
About 7 years ago I had a very nice job. All was going fine but then I discovered (well rediscovered) music. It filled my head, my mind and my imagination. I couldn't think about work any more, I was possessed. I had saved enough money working, so after some time I quit. Just like that - in order to explore music at home. But I got me a great and sympathetic teacher!!! Not too much later I enrolled in fulltime music study, learned lots and lots, and now am a full time professional musician. Your addiction may be very useful if you harness it in the right way. For me, I knew that good teacher wouldn't just get me there faster, but that I would be unlikely to move forward much at all without it.

Good luck with your music adventures smile

yeah. i do have those problems. where it's kind of like an all or nothing attitude. i guess that would relate to addiction. that's why i find it hard to do a little at a time when im always anxious to get done with the book or on to the next piece/level. its a terrible feeling and takes away from the enjoyment of my playing. i mean its good to look forward but not like that.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

Well, technically, you may not be stalled, but it sounds like your improving at a slug's pace. With the hours you've put in, you should have completed the whole set or very close to it. Get a teacher.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission