2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by wavelength
It has been said several times in this thread that playing an imperfect piano is bad for your playing. I say that the opposite is true, that playing a bad piano sometimes prepares you to play on all the imperfect instruments that you will encounter, including your own.
I don't follow your logic. If you are any decent at piano, then why would you even want to touch a bad piano?
Plenty of reasons.
[1] I play to earn my living and for many of the everyday things I do I have no say in the choice of piano. Refuse to accompany a singer for an exam because the piano is bad? Not me. But I'll probably put in a written complaint afterwards, and suggest they have their piano attended to.

[2] If it's the only choice you have. If my circumstances were such that the only piano I had access to was bad, would I stop playing the piano? No way!!

Right. But your examples don't follow the discourse being quoted and discussed. Context.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Right. But your examples don't follow the discourse being quoted and discussed. Context.
Then what did Wavelength mean by "... playing a bad piano sometimes prepares you to play on all the imperfect instruments that you will encounter, including your own"? He was talking about substandard instruments you encounter, and sometimes you have no choice about encountering them. If you want to play the piano, that is. I know it's not quite the situation of the OP, but neither (apparently) is the piano belonging to the OP's teacher a "bad" one, just (probably) poorly maintained.

Your question was why would you want to even touch a bad piano? - my answer was that there are many situations where it's the lesser of two evils, the greater being not playing. It seems the OP's situation is just this, as he actually likes his teacher and values her instruction.

On the necessity of we teachers maintaining our pianos well, there's no disagreement from me.

I just feel that if your attitude as a pianist is that you will only play the best and scorn anything else, you will miss a lot of musical opportunities. I kind of pride myself on being able to make the best of a substandard piano. I'm not saying I seek them out. smile

Du holde Kunst...
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I kind of pride myself on being able to make the best of a substandard piano.

I think that's a better way of putting it.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Get on her ass and tell her to fix it. That's totally unacceptable...If my teacher was holding lessons on a piano that was out of whack I would cut her faster than an umbillical cord. Who does that?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Dror Perl
perhaps an anonymous note ?? smile

I guess its a lot better to have a great teacher with an awful piano than to have an awful teacher with a great piano...so consider yourself lucky !!

now seriously, If it is such a problem that you can't enjoy the lessons or you feel that its holding you back I would consider saying something to your teacher, its a reasonable concern to share with your teacher.

that didnt work on jersey shore!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout
Get on her ass and tell her to fix it. That's totally unacceptable...If my teacher was holding lessons on a piano that was out of whack I would cut her faster than an umbillical cord. Who does that?
Colourful language. But the original post was about how to approach the issue with the teacher. It might be your style to march up to the teacher and demand it be fixed otherwise you'll "cut her" etc etc, but I don't think it's the OP's style.

Du holde Kunst...
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Colourful language. But the original post was about how to approach the issue with the teacher. It might be your style to march up to the teacher and demand it be fixed otherwise you'll "cut her" etc etc, but I don't think it's the OP's style.

I have enough self control not to 'march up to the teacher and demand it be fixed' as you so claim, but i would certainly have a word with her about her neglected piano. Lets teach everyone to drive on a car with a bad alignment, a cracked axle and bad brakes....see how good they do.

W
W
Lets teach everyone to drive on a car with a bad alignment, a cracked axle and bad brakes....see how good they do.

Just fine, thanks. Now that I have a good car it's like a dream.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
This reminds me of Beethoven's Broadwood piano: according to Reis, clumsy Beethoven had the habit of repeatedly knocking an inkwell into it. Johann Stumpff, visiting Beethoven, said of his piano, "The upper registers were mute, and the broken strings in a tangle, like a thorn bush whipped buy a storm."

Of course, Beethoven was deaf by that time, nevertheless, he was an active teacher, particularly of Czerny, who in turn was a teacher of Liszt and Leschetitzky.

But the teacher in question, above, is not Beethoven, so the logical conclusion is that: 1) the teacher is indifferent to the condition of the piano, or, 2) the teacher is living on the razor's edge of financial survival, is also mortified by the condition of her piano, but has only enough cash for immediate bills.

I would spring the question to the teacher, without animus, "I really enjoy studying with you, but this action is far too uneven - what has your piano technician said about regulating the action?" It is a fair question, and deserves a frank response in turn. If the piano is that bad, but the teacher that good, I would also ask her about conducting lessons on your own piano, and be willing to pay extra for the travel & time incurred by your teacher.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Jonathan, I like your approach. If no one says anything about the problem, it will not get resolved. But you don't have to be antagonistic to broach the subject of a badly maintained teaching instrument.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Beethoven was indifferent to more than that wind-whipped thorn bush. One memorable letter, written by a visiting aristocratic friend to another, mentioned, not only the extreme disorder of Beethoven's quarters, but also the stench of an unemptied chamberpot shoved under the piano.

Would you still take lessons?

Clef

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission