2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
virtu, please don't read too much into my 'next ES6' remark - I was just trying to make the point that a future ES model (and indeed a future P-155 model) would be expected to compete on features, specifications, and price with Roland's latest FP-7F.

Similarly, I could write that the following about console DPs:

HP305 vs. CA63 vs. next CLP-340.

Anyway, congratulations on the purchase of your ES6 - it's an excellent portable DP that will continue to be competitive instrument for some time.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by Kawai James
virtu, please don't read too much into my 'next ES6' remark - I was just trying to make the point that a future ES model (and indeed a future P-155 model) would be expected to compete on features, specifications, and price with Roland's latest FP-7F.

Ok James =P
So a nice chart is:
FP-7 x ES6 x P155

After 8 months looking for a nice DP that will fit my needs, the P155, RD300GX and FP-4 was in my range, but in October I read about Kawai and in less than 3 weeks I made my mind and got it a brand new ES6 =)

So, back to main topic, IMHO I have to agree with you that FP-7F can´t be compared to MP10. They are distinct DP (Roland) SP (Kawai) with difference purposes. RD700GX is the best match for MP10.

Thanks again.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-- Albert Einstein
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Well I plan on comparing the MP10 to my CP1 because they seem to be pretty similar in approach with a few additional features on the MP10. Of course by the time I have my MP10, I hope I have found a new home for the CP1.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
T
tinybox Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by JulianMaurits
Wouldn't RD700NX vs MP10 be a better comparison?
and the same for FP7F vs MP6?

I don't think the AP on the MP6 is as good as the MP10.
The AP on the FP7F is most likely as good as the RD700NX.

The action on the MP6 is not RM3, so I think it possible it's not as good as the PHAIII.
The action on the FP7F, as came forward in this thread, seem to be very similar to the HP307/RD700NX.

My only two priorities are the action and the AP sound. I look at the toy features and the speaker on the FP7F as a bonus smile

Also price is not considered because they're all inside my range. But why pay extra for the RD700NX when I get all my bases covered with the FP7F?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by virtu

So, back to main topic, IMHO I have to agree with you that FP-7F can´t be compared to MP10. They are distinct DP (Roland) SP (Kawai) with difference purposes. RD700GX is the best match for MP10.

I think it depends. These instruments have so many voices and features that probably nobody uses all of them.
For those, that dont use the extended MIDI controller capabilities of the MP10 the comparison makes sense.

And I really think that only a minority of MP10 users or buyers really uses all MIDI functionality thats built in.
Peter

Last edited by hpeterh; 11/12/10 04:56 AM.

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

Julian,

Yes, I agree.

Of course, there are inevitably going to be overlaps in the various product ranges, however I would suggest the following comparisons between Roland, Kawai, and Yamaha:

- RX-700NX vs MP10 vs CP5
- RD-300NX (?) vs MP6 vs CP50
- FP-7F vs next ES6 vs P-155

Cheers,
James
x

Hi James,
I really take in high consideration your posts. But now... it's sound quite odd to me.

I think that FP7F SN is better (or comparable at least) than MP6 PHI and PHAIII FP7F action is rather better than MP6 RH. Furthermore, FP7F price will be higher than MP6 price.

That said, I can't understand why you don't compare FP7F directly with MP6. Not enough: you put FP7F a step lower than MP6.

Uhmmm... confused

Last edited by Qbert; 11/12/10 04:57 AM.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
R
R

- FP-7F vs next ES6 vs P-155

Cheers,
James
x

Funny. I was considering what the next ES6 would be up to! If they UPHI that though, the situation will confuse me even further.. From my experience, the MP6 versus the P155 question is obvious. The MP6 is better than the 155 in virtually every way although lets face it, the P155 feels more in competition with the current ES6. I didn't think much of the P155. It's hardly ground breaking..

Regards. Rimmer

Online Content
Qbert,

I wasn't intending to 'rank' the instruments in any order of quality, but rather to illustrate how the different product ranges compare across the three major brands.

Originally Posted by Qbert
I can't understand why you don't compare FP7F directly with MP6.

Largely because the FP-7F features built-in speakers and is arguably less of a 'traditional' stage piano. Again, I'm not attempting to compare the specifications or even assess the quality of the two instruments, but rather analyse the segment that they will likely occupy within the market.

I hope this explains my previous post.

By the way, may I ask why you believe the FP-7F's PHAIII action to be better than the MP6's RH action? If it's just the presence of a third sensor, does this automatically mean that Casio's PX-130 action is also better than the MP6 action?

Furthermore, how are we defining 'better'?
Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
K
I think James classified them by portability, embedded speaker and ruggedness - not necessarily by price.

Qbert,
I wasn't intending to 'rank' the instruments in any order of quality, but rather to illustrate how the different product ranges compare across the three major brands.

Ok, I misunderstood your point. Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, may I ask why you believe the FP-7F's PHAIII action to be better than the MP6's RH action? If it's just the presence of a third sensor, does this automatically mean that Casio's PX-130 action is also better than the MP6 action?

Well, I just suppose that PHAIII action is fairly better comparable with RM3 than RH. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Qbert; 11/15/10 06:04 AM.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
T
tinybox Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I think the MP10 sound will be very similar to the CA93 when using headphones. So does anyone have anything to say about the CA93 AP vs Roland SN AP?

Maybe the Roland SN sounds wonderfull in the shop but after owning it for a month small artefacts will become obvious and all of the sudden the CA93 will sound much better :-) I know this is very subjective but still I would appreciate to hear some points of views.

J
J
Originally Posted by tinybox
I think the MP10 sound will be very similar to the CA93 when using headphones. So does anyone have anything to say about the CA93 AP vs Roland SN AP?

Maybe the Roland SN sounds wonderfull in the shop but after owning it for a month small artefacts will become obvious and all of the sudden the CA93 will sound much better :-) I know this is very subjective but still I would appreciate to hear some points of views.

Been in the shops and playing DPs a lot lately, and my impression is that

Roland has the better keyboard action
Kawai has the better AP sound
Roland has the better EP sound

JH.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
May I ask which DPs were you playing?

Interesting how different opinions on this are:

My impression is that

Kawai has the better keyboard action
Roland (although it's not my preferred sound signature) has technically better AP sound
I don't care for EP sound

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
RE: the Roland EPs (SN), from what little I have heard, it sounded to me like the very beginning of the attacks were missing. (has anyone else noticed that?)

Greg.

F
F
Originally Posted by jhaible

Roland has the better keyboard action
Kawai has the better AP sound
Roland has the better EP sound

Yes interested in that too since this is the complete opposite of the combined 1000+ post of 700NX and Kawai threads. Personal opinion I know but still.

My own experience is the Roland AP in 700GX without SN sounded mellow and not that great, action was so-so. CA93 (which is almost the same as mp10) was really good. HP307 (which should almost be the same as FP-7F) blew me away. Both were good but hp307 connected better with the sound (no idea why). Then I heard the action of 700GX and HP307 (PHAII vs PHAIII) is technically almost identical so back at square one. If it's the SN thats making hp307 feel better I have no clue.

FP-7F in my ears and fingers win slightly over mp10 thanks to the better connection. But both are really good and have similar mellow aproach.

RD-700NX (25 nov 2010)
J
J
Originally Posted by mucci
May I ask which DPs were you playing?

Interesting how different opinions on this are:

Yes, because it's all a matter of personal taste and preference.

I played about everything that was in the two big shops (Musikhalle Klier and Musikhaus Thomann).

I started with Kawai ES6 (piano sound ok, keyboard action terible), tried MP5 and MP8 (i.e. not the new stuff yet), an dthen the home pianos, because they have the latest actions already. The action of CA63 was dissappointing. The action of the CA93 is much better. I expected a lot from this one, because of the long wooden keys. It's quite good, but still in a different (speak: lower) class than Roland's PHA 3 action.

Roland: FP-4 has a horrible action. I mean, I would have called this "decent" some years ago, but others are far better now. FP-7 (old model - thats's PHA 2, I think?) is quite good. But the V-Piano and HP307 are simply the best piano-like actions I had under my fingers yet. Better than most actions of real upright pianos I found in the same showroom.

I also liked the action of the Yamaha CP-5 and CP-1. This came as a surprise, because I don't like the feel of Yamaha's Upright pianos, or Yamaha's older stage and home piano models. In direct comparison, the Roland PHA 3 is considerably better, though.

I didn't make a direct (as in walking back and forward between) comparison between CP-5 and Kawai, though.

All this is highly subjective, of course, and mainly tells you which type of keybaord action *I* like: As far from "springy" as possible, i.e. the weight being a dynamic load and not a static load for the fingers.

As for the sound, I'm probably accustomed to the Kawai sound (my previous model is a Kawai), which I'd describe as "round and balanced", whereas Roland is more on the bright side, and if it's set darker (closing that virtual lid), it also becomes less direct. But I think sound is something I get accustomed to (neither of them sounds like a Bösendörfer), but action is very important to me.

I'm leaning very much to the upcoming FP-7F (asuming it has that very keyboard action), and I hope they have implemented at least one decent Rhodes sound (nothing such on the HP307 !).

JH.

Last edited by jhaible; 11/15/10 07:28 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Not having a dual voice mode like the CA93/CA63, I'm curious how far the MP10 AP's can be tweaked. I'd have to compare directly with the FP-7F during a playing session in a music store. So, no conclusion yet from my side. wink

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
R
R
I took the plunge on a black FP-7F yesterday. Should have it end November or shortly after I'd hope. I'll get my friend to play something and I'll record the output of the machine at 24bit using my RME Fireface and upload it somewhere for people to get an idea on the quality. I'm quite happy to record using a specific midi file people may want to hear (and I mean the people i am familiar with on this forum only so no general request from random people from around the internet thx!!). I'll do a review once I've had a play around with it!!

Regards. Rimmer

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Congrats Rimmer. I see most UK online stores are showing w/c 26/11 as having the FP-7F available. May I ask which store and the price? Please PM me if you don't want to disclose that publicly at this time.

R
R
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Congrats Rimmer. I see most UK online stores are showing w/c 26/11 as having the FP-7F available. May I ask which store and the price? Please PM me if you don't want to disclose that publicly at this time.

PM'd wink

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission