2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
T
T
I haven't had too much time to mess with it, but the new pianos definitely are brighter and richer than the originals. The EP is really nice. It sounds like the tines got moved a little closer to the pickups wink. The effectse are much more dramatic than they were. I'm going to have to get used to it again but the improvements are significant.
I hope your issues can be resolved quickly. Having the sounds go dead is not cool at all.

Tom
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Tom F

I hope your issues can be resolved quickly. Having the sounds go dead is not cool at all.

Donovan at AM&S is looking into the problem for me, and will get hold of the original firmware to see if that solves the issue. In a way, I hope the problem is not with the software as, like you, I really like the updated sounds.

Both Donovan at American Music and Sound, and Hillary at the Midi Store are being very proactive and helpful. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

Tom, please let me know if you experience any weird behavior with the update.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
T
T
Yes, I've found the people here (and in Italy) to be very responsive and helpful (once you get ahold of the right people), and have been happy to see updates become available quickly. Very encouraging. I've got some reviewing to do tonight and two rehearsals tomorrow, I'll let you know if anything wierd happens.

Tom
T
T
Since I last posted, I've had a chance to put the Numa through some pretty heavy use since I did the upgrade - two rehearsals and three gigs and so far no anomalies have popped up. The new "grand piano" really sounded great in the mix. I got some real nice compliments on the rig from two different sound guys.
Voxpop: Have you gotten any info from them regarding your issues?

Tom
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Slightly off topic, but I got a chance to play the Numa Nero running sounds from both Motif ES6/Motif Rack, and though I wasn't too fond of the sound, the action was superb! One of the best out there, and the best in a controller I've ever played. Quite a step up from the Studiologic 990 I had.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Since I last posted, I've had a chance to put the Numa through some pretty heavy use since I did the upgrade - two rehearsals and three gigs and so far no anomalies have popped up. The new "grand piano" really sounded great in the mix. I got some real nice compliments on the rig from two different sound guys.
Voxpop: Have you gotten any info from them regarding your issues?

The last I heard was that they're going to swap it out for a new one, and am awaiting the necessary documentation.

One little thing to watch out for - be careful about putting anything on the surface of the fascia - the screen printing rubs off easily!

That's encouraging news with regard to the updated sounds, Tom.

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by voxpops

The last I heard was that they're going to swap it out for a new one, and am awaiting the necessary documentation.

Well, I just packed up my Numa Piano and shipped it back. I'm really hoping that if I upgrade the new one (that should be with me by the end of the week) it won't start misbehaving like the previous one. I have my next gig on Friday, and am wondering whether to risk using the new Numa if it's here by then.

What a fun game to be in!

mabraman, 2015
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
VP, any update on that MP6?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
VP, any update on that MP6?

James
x

Supposed to be with me Wednesday, although the last tracking info was from Kansas! I shall probably miss the delivery as I'm out on a job most of the day.

Then I'll have to evaluate how much damage there is before deciding when it's fit for use.

Interesting week!

mabraman, 2015
T
T
I know what you mean about being nervous about using it on a gig before you have a chance to really check it out. Since you had problems with yours, I'm even nervous about taking mine to gigs even though I haven't had any problems. Good luck!

Tom
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I know what you mean about being nervous about using it on a gig before you have a chance to really check it out. Since you had problems with yours, I'm even nervous about taking mine to gigs even though I haven't had any problems. Good luck!

Thanks, Tom.

The Numa's supposed to arrive today, but I shan't be here, so I may have to wait a little longer for it. I decided to use the venue's grand tonight rather than the Numa or any of my other boards.

It's good news that you're not having any trouble following the update. Sounds like my board may have been a bit wonky.

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Just collected the replacement Numa Piano from FedEx and set it up. All is well so far! I played the non-updated pianos for a couple of minutes, and I've decided I'll probably work with the original sound-set for a while. The APs are not quite as huge or resonant as the updates, but I like their response and tone.

It would be great if Studiologic would post the original firmware so that you could go back to it if you find you prefer those sounds - or even better, do the same as Korg, and allow you to mix and match between the different packs.

Looking forward to gigging with it next week!

Tom, how are you liking the updates now you've had them installed for a little while?

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Just collected the replacement Numa Piano from FedEx and set it up. All is well so far!

Do the firmware update again! [/rubbernecking]

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by dewster
Just collected the replacement Numa Piano from FedEx and set it up. All is well so far!

Do the firmware update again! [/rubbernecking]

You really are very naughty, dewster. wink

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
You know, I really quite like this DP in its original state. I'm finding the pianos very expressive with a pleasant tone. They sound quite a bit more "open" and less compressed than one or two of the other DPs I have. The samples encourage me to keep playing. It's odd really, considering the lack of "modern" features such as resonance etc. Kudos to the Italians - this is the second Italian DP I've had (in this century!) and I've really liked them both.

The Rhodes is not quite as detailed-sounding in this version (I think Tom F mentioned this in an earlier post), and the clav may not be as good (although I've only played it for a few seconds), but I may stick with this firmware until the next update comes along.

I think I'm going to enjoy gigging with this little Numa - providing it proves to be reliable.

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Glad to hear the new unit is treating your right so far voxpops!

There's always a danger when fixing firmware that something else will break. These real-time products are probably the touchiest that way.

I'm curious, does the original firmware have the note pan problems that the update had (the notes A1 through C#2 audibly panned to the right)?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by dewster
I'm curious, does the original firmware have the note pan problems that the update had (the notes A1 through C#2 audibly panned to the right)?

I will check that out, although while trying a few scales yesterday I didn't detect that. It seemed as if the panning jumps fractionally (left to right) at certain intervals, maybe it was every octave - something like that - rather than being a smooth gradation, but no reversed pans. When I've the time, I'll send you the piano 1 DPBSD file.

mabraman, 2015
T
T
"Tom, how are you liking the updates now you've had them installed for a little while?"
I really like the new Grand Piano sound in the update, and like the Rhodes and clav a little better (but I liked the old ones also). I'm not that fond of the bright piano, and would maybe prefer the original one a little. I'm really hoping that in the future we'll be able to choose between different models like you can with the Numa Organ.
I hope your new one is stable. I really love gigging with this thing and would REALLY hate to have to go back to a heavier keyboard for gigging.

Tom
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Yes, that updated grand piano has a lot of presence. I'm going to see how it goes with the first gig or two before I risk updating. I'm just a little nervous about attempting that again...

And thanks for all your helpful comments, Tom. At first I really thought you were working for Studiologic, as your posts and reviews were so positive. But now I get it! There's something unexpectedly pleasing about the sounds this board makes, and the action isn't bad at all for such a lightweight unit.

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
So I programmed a bunch of presets today: a glitch-free process, fortunately. I did notice however that the original firmware has a number of limitations that were removed in the update. In the original configuration the software won't memorize a fast rotor position in a preset - you have to switch the Leslie sim manually each time you select an organ preset. Similarly, it seems to switch to default tremolo (and maybe chorus and phaser) speeds rather than memorize the mod wheel position for a preset. The sustain pedal does not operate the Leslie sim. Effects settings are not memorized if you switch sounds - they must be reset each time.

Despite these rather basic programming oversights, I'm still enjoying the sounds and vibe of the Numa Piano in its "primal" state. When I start gigging I may find these small limitations irritating enough for me to try updating the sound pack.

mabraman, 2015
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission