2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Randi Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey all, i've recently come to terms with the fact i will never be able to stretch a 9th comfortably. This is extremely disheartening because i rarely find pieces that wow me with enough passion to sit down and practice for hours (for example Pathetique mvmt 1 and Moonlight Sonata mvmt 3 by Beethoven).

Even more so since i'm hitting around level 7 and 8.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some pieces (in minor and fast would be best! much like the 2 i mentioned above) for small handed pianists?

Thanks so much xx.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Don't let small hands keep you from playing music you love. My hands are about the same size as yours. I still can't reach more than an uncomfortable 9th but gradually the stretch between my other fingers is increasing from working my way though Bach and Brahms. There really aren't that many pieces I can't manage, (although the Brahms Rhapsody Opus 119 #4 may be beyond my ability to play without pain.)

For music that easily fits your hands, try the Mozart, Haydn, and Scarlatti sonatas and, of course, anything by Bach. They offer lots of challenge and are very beautiful too. Most other composers have wonderful offerings as well: Beethoven, Chopin, even Rachmaninoff. You'll have to learn when to break a chord, drop a note or switch a note to the opposite hand but you should be able to play most music.

Best regards,

Deborah
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I have very small hands (my comfortable reach is just under an octave but I'm slowly getting to the point where octaves aren't as painful as usual). I just don't let small hands bother me whatsoever. My teacher says that when I play piano, I need to think like a bumblebee. According to the rules of aerodynamics bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly but they do. According to the "rules" of piano, I shouldn't be able to play big octave pieces but I can. I've learned the Pathetique, moonlight, several Rach preludes, Brahms' intermezzos etc... I also rewrite octave sections so I can play them. Anyway, hope this helps!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have small hands, but somehow contortionist too, like Chopin... smile I can curl my fingers upwards for example and can open my hand to a 170 degrees span, but unfortunately my fingers are short cry , so even so I don't reach more than just a 9th, but comfortably at least. When I started piano 4 years ago I could only reach an 8th...
There are accomplished pianists with small hands, so the size of your hands is not really a fundamental factor for your progress... I am confident you will get where you want to get if you put effort in it.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Randi

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some pieces... for small handed pianists?

The vast majority of the piano repertoire.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
small hands are no excuse

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
says the pianist with 20 fingers [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
R
R

This is completely true

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
It takes awhile for those with smaller hands to adapt to many pieces without strain. They need to re-think their approach to octaves, thicker chords, etc.... It takes much patience - and a very loose wrist, among other things...

I remember reading somewhere that Alicia de Larrocha - who had small hands - was able to toss off works like the Rach 3 and the Brahms concerti.

(Don't know if there's recorded evidence, though........)

Piano instruction and performance
Bach works, like most of the Baroque repertoire, generally fit well into small hands. However, like others have said, rewrite if need be and gradually work yourself into repertoire that requires larger leaps. Note the "gradually" part - you don't want to jump in head-first and get an injury. While my hands are slightly bigger than the OP's - I can stretch a 9th, but no more - I've been able to progressively handle larger spans.

A quick observation... many of the Asian female pianists that I've heard or seen have very small hands, but they can manage extremely well. One of my musician friends once stated that many of them work on various exercises from early on to help their hand spans. I can't verify that, but it's an interesting thought. Maybe someone else knows more about that than I do.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sarah_elizabeth

A quick observation... many of the Asian female pianists that I've heard or seen have very small hands, but they can manage extremely well.

Not only women, even children can manage well... So I think stores is right. By the way, not many have perfect hands anyway. It is probably not easy to play with fat fingers either for example I would think. Nobody is perfect...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gerard12

There certainly is.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I agree and is the reason I said the vast majority of the piano repertoire is available.

♪ ≠ $

D
D
Check the Czerny book:

25 Exercises for Small Hands Op.748

I think you'll find it interesting

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
It takes awhile for those with smaller hands to adapt to many pieces without strain. They need to re-think their approach to octaves, thicker chords, etc.... It takes much patience - and a very loose wrist, among other things...

I remember reading somewhere that Alicia de Larrocha - who had small hands - was able to toss off works like the Rach 3 and the Brahms concerti.

Don't forget that although she started with small hands, she methodically stretched them until she could reach 10ths. And she kept up a daily stretching routine throughout her career.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Don't forget that although she started with small hands, she methodically stretched them until she could reach 10ths. And she kept up a daily stretching routine throughout her career.

It's quite true that she was able to reach tenths, but toward the end of her career she had to completely renegotiate her entire repertoire, because though tiny of frame to begin with she began shrinking and it affected her hands to a great degree.

♪ ≠ $

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Larrocha has recorded Rach 3 for Decca, and listening to it, you wouldn't know that she has small hands - she doesn't appeggiate any more chords than anyone else, and there's no lack of power.
But considering that her signature work is Albeniz's Iberia (which contains some wide stretches) that's not surprising. However (like Argerich), I don't think she's ever played Ravel's LH Piano Concerto, though she did the G major.

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
I don't think she's ever played Ravel's LH Piano Concerto, though she did the G major.

She did and recorded it.

♪ ≠ $

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Oh, how the heck did I forget about her recording of Iberia?
Especially since I owned a copy on vinyl back in the day. Thanks for the tip on
her Rach 3 rec.-I'll have to look that one up.

Piano instruction and performance
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission