Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1559134 - 11/16/10 05:19 PM Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
I just got the Narada Easy Piano book in the mail today yippie.
Has anyone played the David Lanz "Return to the Heart" arrangement in this collection?

The reason I ask is that the beginning sounds a bit odd to me, at least when I compare it to the actual harder piece (Lanz recording). If I am not wrong,the first bass notes are written an octave lower than I hear them.

Perhaps this is done to give the simplified version a richer sound? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1559142 - 11/16/10 05:31 PM Re: Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano [Re: GlassLove]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
You probably answered your own question. If it's an easy arrangement book, you're not going to get the same version of the piece that's on the CD.

#1559154 - 11/16/10 05:52 PM Re: Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano [Re: GlassLove]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
New music ....oh boy! Isn't it fun? I can't believe how much sheet music I've collected in less than a year! - How high is your "stack"?

#1559192 - 11/16/10 07:08 PM Re: Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano [Re: GlassLove]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

MUCH MUCH MUCH too high, especially in light of how much of it I have actually played. blush

#1559195 - 11/16/10 07:11 PM Re: Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano [Re: eweiss]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: eweiss
You probably answered your own question. If it's an easy arrangement book, you're not going to get the same version of the piece that's on the CD.

I totally understood this upon ordering the book. However, I would really like to know why this difference might exist. If they are the same notes played in each version, why would one be one octave lower? I thought that there might be an answer related to music theory that would help me understand.
The beginning of this piece is quite simple, all of the examples I have watched on youtube are the more complex version, but all have the introductory bass notes one octave higher than my music suggests.

Edited by GlassLove (11/16/10 07:12 PM)

#1559461 - 11/17/10 07:07 AM Re: Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano [Re: GlassLove]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
GL - I have this Narada New Age Easy Piano Sampler also and recorded and submitted "Return to the Heart" to an ABF Recital a couple of Recitals ago...

I didn't remember this immediately but when I pulled out the book and opened it to that page the first thing I noticed about the bass staff music was my bold yellow highlighting of the treble or G clef at the very beginning of the piece, which holds thru the 1st 11 measures. This occurs again at measure 57 on the 3rd page and continues thru measure 64.

You'll probably slap yourself on the forehead for missing this (or kick yourself in a lower region) but it's so easy to miss this, especially after playing x number of pieces without this very rare modification. I'm not sure at this point whether I noticed it at first or not.

But, I think this will go a long way towards explaining the apparent difference in sound (which is actually more than just 1 octave, e.g., the 2 note chord in measure 1 is actually the D & G just above middle C, but if you play them as if the bass clef was in effect they would be the 2nd F & B below middle C).

Hope this helps - and good luck with this beautiful piece.

JF

I also worked on and recommend "Leaves on the Seine" and "Girl from Barcelona" from this collection.

Edited by John Frank (11/17/10 07:10 AM)

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1559494 - 11/17/10 08:27 AM Re: Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano [Re: GlassLove]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ahhh....you are awesome John, thank you so much. And yes, I feel like a real goof!!! crazy But a happy goof as the problem is now solved and I can continue on with the piece properly. I thought the F & B (first notes in what I was reading as bass clef) sounded really ugly too, but unfortunately, even that did not prompt my noticing the treble clef sign.
Yes, I love Leaves on the Seine and Girl from Barcelona. I also love Sunshine Canyon. I couldn't manage to find recordings of a few of the pieces in the collection, but it is my intention to play them all.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

#1560574 - 11/19/10 04:50 AM Re: Return to the Heart: Narada Easy Piano [Re: GlassLove]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: GlassLove
Ahhh....you are awesome John, thank you so much.

That makes two of us who think that... laugh And you're welcome - glad I could help.

JF

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (Alkanaut, 36251, accordeur, Almaviva, 45 invisible), 1368 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74256 Members
42 Forums
153602 Topics
2251228 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission