2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Amazing what having kids around does!

After years of not really touching the piano much my enthusiasm has been invigorated recently. I dont know why exactly - but seeing my daughters develop a passion for music has re-ignited something in me. (Perhaps its also their insistence on watching really crap TV that gets me on my feet and gravitating towards the piano to occupy my time instead of siting in front of the idiot box?)

Anyway - after trying to rekindle my playing a it Ive doodled around with half a dozen or so Chopin Nocturnes with varying degrees of success. I've tried to broaden my horizons and play some other stuff - but nothing 'Classical' really does it for me and although I have a Schubert Impromtu thats hits my 'acceptable' spot and quite enjoy the Gerwshin preludes, nothing really has the zen peacefulness of Chopin.

So I decided to seek out more - there had to be more to Chopins extensive output than *almost* playable Nocturnes and 'out-of-my-league' Scherzos that I remeber struggling with many years ago. I had a re-listen to a few CDs with my mind focused not on being absorbed by the music (which is my normal response to Chopin) - but on assessing potential playability and decided despite the 'over-popularity'to have a look at Op28 #15 'Raindrop'. I found some free sheet music (isnt the internet a wonderful thing?) - and had a stab.

To my surprise and delight within 30 minutes or so I could pretty much play it! I need to focus a bit on the final beats of bars 4, 23 and 79 to get them sounding relaxed, and I havent quite got all the chords in 64-75 as sure as they need to be yet - but basically its 95% there and I can completely lose myself in the music rather than worrying about 'playing the right notes'. Its a lovely feeling.

My concern now is that my neighbours and family are going to get sick of me playing the middle section with those sostenuto G#s! lol - How long before someone yells at me - "ENOUGH!!!!".... Hopefully I tire of playing this before they tire of having it as backgound music!

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
30 minutes and you can play it - I hate you too smile

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I've been playing and listening to it for nearly 20 years and haven't gotten sick of the repeated Ab/G# yet. The Chopin Preludes are evergreens.

D
OP Offline
D
Theres a difference between 'prety much play it' and 'play it well' - It certainly wasnt polished aftr 30 minutes - just good enough for me to have that "Hey - I'm gonna be able to do this soon!" moment.

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Certainly can't be any worse than the ever repeated Fur Elise that your children will one day play!!!

whome

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by lilylady
Certainly can't be any worse than the ever repeated Fur Elise that your children will one day play!!!

whome

Ah, now there's something I can play smile , but not as good as Valentina.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission