Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1560099 - 11/18/10 09:55 AM Issue regarding Yamaha DGX 640
stamwick Offline

Hi all

I have recently purchased a Yamaha DGX 640.

I've come to notice that the DGX 640 somehow feels weird when I play it. After a while I realise that's because the black keys seems to sound louder than the white keys (i.e. they are more velocity sensitive). I've verified this by playing something, recording and exporting it to MIDI. The black keys (almost) consistently have higher velocity than the white keys.

Another issue I have is when I am playing something that involves hitting a particular note repeatedly, it seems some of the later notes turn up softer even though I am hitting with the same amount of force.

As a result of the above issues, my playing on the keyboard result in really uneven dynamics.

I have no such problems when playing on actual pianos (whether it's grand piano or upright piano). Is this a normal issue experienced by people who have not really used a digital piano with weighted keys? Will I get used to playing like these? Or is there a faulty keyboard that I have purchased?

Thanks in advance

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1560302 - 11/18/10 04:43 PM Re: Issue regarding Yamaha DGX 640 [Re: stamwick]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: stamwick
Hi all

I have recently purchased a Yamaha DGX 640.....

Is this a normal issue experienced by people who have not really used a digital piano with weighted keys? Will I get used to playing like these? ..

I really doubt the black keys are different from the white except of course being taller and shorter. That may give you a little different leverage. Yamaha uses the GHS key action in the DGX640. It may be that the GHS key action does not absorb force like an acoustic action or a more expensive digital action would. The GHS keys are very light

GHS is not Yamaha's top of the line, it is what they put in their lower priced pianos. I don't think what you have is representative of all digital pianos with weighted keys.

It may take more time to learn to play on a very light action digital. Did you try Yamaha's other pianos or Roland or Kawai. They are all different

#1560351 - 11/18/10 06:47 PM Re: Issue regarding Yamaha DGX 640 [Re: stamwick]
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I'd suggest playing another DGX 640 to see if it's par for the course for this particular model.

If they have the same "issue," you might want to consider getting something else as you probably won't be enjoying your time with it.

DPs, as a general rule, show us where the adage "you get what you pay for" comes from. test many different actions before forking over the dough. It's better to pay a lot for something good than pay a little less and get something you're not as satisfied with.

#1560558 - 11/19/10 02:53 AM Re: Issue regarding Yamaha DGX 640 [Re: stamwick]
ivoryeyes Offline

did you play it before you bought it, at a local music store ? If so, you did not notice it there ? I personally never owned a real piano , but have owned other keyboards in the past { motif, roland D50 , etc} . My 640 plays great for my needs. I realize the action on it may be a bit lighter then a real grand piano, but I adjust quickly to such things. I have just recorded a new 4 minute piano original song, and I did not notice the black keys being louder in volume then the white keys , and this new song would be perfect for me to tell because its in the key of C# , so it has alot of black key playing involved.

I would suggest going to a music store and playing a demo unit that is already setup, to see if it feels the same way. It may be the unit you have or your own perceptions.

#1560559 - 11/19/10 02:56 AM Re: Issue regarding Yamaha DGX 640 [Re: stamwick]
ivoryeyes Offline

Originally Posted By: stamwick
Hi all

I have recently purchased a Yamaha DGX 640.

Anther issue I have is when I am playing something that involves hitting a particular note repeatedly, it seems some of the later notes turn up softer even though I am hitting with the same amount of force.

As a result of the above issues, my playing on the keyboard result in really uneven dynamics.

If the keys you are hitting are are to the left , then it is suppose to take more force to get them to play as loud as notes higher up on the piano...just like a real pianao is. This isnt a defect, it is GHS .

#1560638 - 11/19/10 08:39 AM Re: Issue regarding Yamaha DGX 640 [Re: stamwick]
ivoryeyes Offline

Im not sure if you read the manual through, but this unit has a setting where you can adjust the touch sensitivity of the keys. 4 different levels of adjustment. You may want to change that parameter and see if it helps

#1562238 - 11/22/10 09:41 AM Re: Issue regarding Yamaha DGX 640 [Re: stamwick]
stamwick Offline

Hi guys

Thanks for the reply! To be clear, when I posted the question, I have played around with the different touch sensitivity, and I am also aware that lower keys are supposed to be heavier than the higher keys smile I'm hoping the problem lies with my technique in playing on this keyboard. I have no such problems playing on my acoustic piano. Hopefully in time to come I will get used to it, and be able to play silently without disturbing the people around me smile

Thanks again for the advice!!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (ando, A Flat Minor, AndyG123, AndrewAJC, Andrey, 21 invisible), 1262 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155826 Topics
2288156 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New to the digital piano world! Can anyone help?
by blackwhitekeys
46 minutes 44 seconds ago
Yamaha Swap For Roland ???
by musicmad
Today at 05:57 AM
midi over the internet
by chopin_r_us
Today at 04:56 AM
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission