2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
I'm hoping to get some input on these three models. I list the best price I've found in France:

YDP-181 : 1200 euros
CLP-330 : 1569 euros
CLP-340 : 1700 euros

From what I have read, the 340 is worth the relatively small difference in price over the 330 (also I'd have to get dark rosewood on the 340 for that price, the other colors are more $ but I think that's acceptable).

I don't really need GH3. I'm an adult beginner. Not really into classical music. I like the AUX-OUT because I can record myself on a computer and make mp3s (do I really need AUX-OUT for this??).

I like the USB To Host so that I can connect it to a PC directly without messing with MIDI cables.

I think I've got it narrowed down to YDP-181 & CLP-340. I'm not really sure the USB to Host & AUX-OUT are worth the extra 500 euros which is a 41% premium over the YDP-181. And that's why I'd like some feedback.

When I was in the store I tested the YDP-141 & CLP and I didn't really see any difference in the keys but I had no idea what I was looking for.

So the main questions are:

- how can I record the YDP-181? Does using the headphone jack give good quality?

- is it a pain to use midi cables? I have a USB Midisport device.

I think I'm convincing myself that the YDP-181 will meet my needs and save some money. I just hope I don't regret it later.

I know some prefer other brands but in France everything is expensive so I only have access to the Yamaha's and a Roland HP302-SB for 1600 euros. I'm not sure how the roland would compare to the YDP-181.

Thanks

K
K
Roland HP302 is more versatile, technologically advanced piano then either of the three Yamahas. If you don't care about third sensor, HP302 is the better buy. (I have HPi6F, which is HP305 with an LCD screen.)

C
OP Offline
C
PS: Maybe it'd be cheaper to buy it outside of France. If anyone can recommend a good place that would have better prices, I am interested. I buy my camera gear from Germany, it's much cheaper. I have to have my wife help me with the websites as I don't speak German. wink

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
If you want to record, MIDI is very different from using line-out. If you use line-out you are recording sound generated by the piano. MIDI, just send key presses to the computer and you need software to generate the sound. Line-out is simpler but with midi, depending on the software you can have much better sound quality. and with MIDI edits are very easy.

The big thing you need to decide is which key action you like. The Roland is different from the Yamaha CLP series. Both are good, people will debate which is best forever. You have to try them yourself.

As for sound. In the CLP line I'd go with at least the CLP340. It is the first model in that line that has sound equal to the lower priced P155. For line-out recording you'd want at least that level. For MIDI recording all you care about is the key action as sound is done in the computer

Roland's sound is different from Yamaha. Yamaha tries to sound like a Japanese grand piano. Roland tries for a more European or American tone. Although both have some level of adjustments and different voises. But you may prefer one or the other. Yamaha I think is more sample based, Roland's samples are a little more processed

At this point in your search I'd not even look at prices. You ned first to learn about the differences in sound and touch.

Also concider the stage or portable types. You get more for your money with a Roland F4-F or Yamaha P155 or CP50, For whatever reason those wood0look stands are expensive

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by cunparis
PS: Maybe it'd be cheaper to buy it outside of France. If anyone can recommend a good place that would have better prices, I am interested. I buy my camera gear from Germany, it's much cheaper. I have to have my wife help me with the websites as I don't speak German. wink

Did you see Thomann?

C
OP Offline
C
Thomann is more expensive. So far the best site in France is this one:

http://www.distrizic.com/piano-numerique-salon-c-117_170_138.html

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ChrisA
MIDI, just send key presses to the computer and you need software to generate the sound. Line-out is simpler but with midi, depending on the software you can have much better sound quality. and with MIDI edits are very easy.

If I record MIDI and then "render" to WAV, would it sound like a real piano? Would I need a software piano?

The big thing you need to decide is which key action you like. The Roland is different from the Yamaha CLP series. Both are good, people will debate which is best forever. You have to try them yourself.

Sounds like another trip to the city to visit the music store is in order. Since I'm a beginner at piano, the last time I was there I didn't really notice a difference. I've been practicing at the Grandparent's house, they have a real piano.

At this point in your search I'd not even look at prices. You ned first to learn about the differences in sound and touch.

Also concider the stage or portable types. You get more for your money with a Roland F4-F or Yamaha P155 or CP50, For whatever reason those wood0look stands are expensive

To be honest they all sound great to me. I guess I'm not very picky about that. The 155 is 1149 euros so not much savings and I prefer to have the wood stand, speakers, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

C
OP Offline
C
Ok Thomann has Kawaii CN33 for 1249. That's almost the same price as Yamaha YDP-181 so now I'm researching the Kawai. So far from what I read people really like it.

All these decisions.. I know I'd be happy with any of them.

Yah I am very happy with my $2300 USD Kawai. I would recommend it without reservation.

Steve

--- Estonia L190 #7249 ---
My great-grandfather was an opera singer
My grandfather was a pianist
We'll see what my kids do
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That site http://www.distrizic.com/piano-numerique-salon-c-117_170_138.html
gives these prices.

YDP-181 . . € 1199 . . = $1634
CLP-330 . . € 1569 . . = $2138
CLP-340 . . € 1700 . . = $2316
HP-302 . . . € 1649 . . = $2247

I'm quite surprised that the CLP340 is so low, and that it's just a tad higher than the CLP330.

C
OP Offline
C
That site (distrizic) has some great promotions sometimes. i don't know how they do it. I bought my Yamaha PSR there and saved a lot of money. Unfortunately they don't have Kawai so I'm looking at Thomann.

I spent an hour researching it. The specs on the Kawai are really nice. It has USB to host & line out like I want. It comes in black. For the same price as YDP-181. It seems the Kawai CN33 is a no-brainer in this price range.

I will go look at one in the store. Will print out the Thomann page w/ price and see if I can get it locally for the same price..

cunparis, may I ask what is your maximum budget?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
OP Offline
C
I guess 1700 euros since that's the price of the Yamaha CLP-340 that I was considering.

I spent another hour reading about the Kawai CN33. I haven't seen one complaint. I checked a few music stores in Paris and they don't have it so I have to find a dealer so that I can try it out.

cunparis, did you try 'Centre Chopin'?

http://www.centre-chopin.com

Their website does not list the CN33 (just the entry-level CN23), but it may be worth giving them a call, just in case.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
For the 330, Centre Chopin's prices are about the same as that distrizic.com dealer, above.
For the 340, Centre Chopin is higher than distrizic.com

CLP-330 . . . . € 1569 . . . . $2141
CLP-330C . . . € 1596 . . . . $2178
CLP-330M . . . € 1596 . . . . $2178
CLP-330PE . . .€ 1890 . . . . $2579

CLP-340 . . . . € 1940 . . . . $2648
CLP-340C . . . € 1940 . . . . $2648
CLP-340M . . . € 1940 . . . . $2648
CLP-340PE . . .€ 2260 . . . . $3084

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
cunparis, did you try 'Centre Chopin'?

http://www.centre-chopin.com

Their website does not list the CN33 (just the entry-level CN23), but it may be worth giving them a call, just in case.

Cheers,
James
x

They are about 10 minutes away so I'll go and visit the store. Much more convenient than going into Paris (over 1hour). Thanks for recommending them.

I did some more googling and I read that I can use a digital piano to control my Yamaha PSR-S900. So that would be really cool. I love all the features of the yamaha, I just hate the keys. So to do that I'd just need a cheaper digital piano and I think the Kawai CN33 would be ideal. I like the fact that it's in black. Yamaha really charges a premium for the "polished" black and I don't want it shiny anyway, shows fingerprints.

Any issues with using a digital piano to control an arranger keyboard?

Thanks for all the input. I can't believe I changed my mind from Yamaha. Yamaha has a much better marketing presence so I just got stuck on them first. But everyone loves the Kawai and it seems to be a better value for me.

P
P
cunparis, I'm also in the same situation has you. I'm considering the YDP-181, CLP-340, Roland HP-302 and HP-305 and the Kawai CN33 and CA63.

For what I've been reading, the CN33 in an excellent choice for the price range and far superior to the YDP-181. Unfortunately, the Kawai portuguese distributor works really bad. They don't have the DPs available in any store near my city (which is the second largest city in Portugal) and I've sent them 3 e-mails without any response. It's a shame.

Meanwhile, to help you compare the various models you can see this spreadsheet I've made.

Best regards.

Nice work.

It might also be useful to look at http://www.pianobuyer.com
They produce a 200+ page buyers guide. The appendix lists all models of pianos (digital and acoustic) with full specs. They update the guide several times a year.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by PianoPeter73
Unfortunately, the Kawai portuguese distributor works really bad. They don't have the DPs available in any store near my city (which is the second largest city in Portugal) and I've sent them 3 e-mails without any response. It's a shame.

If I can't find one in a store I'll look at a similar model. If I can't find any I'd just order it because I'm not that picky. I've been playing on a 20 year old upright that needs a tune up. wink

Thanks for the spreadsheet link, very nice.

Since I've got a PSR-S900 (arranger) I don't really need the higher end models. Just basic piano with nice keys.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by cunparis
It seems the Kawai CN33 is a no-brainer in this price range. Will print out the Thomann page w/ price and see if I can get it locally for the same price..
Using the Thomann's price is a good idea, but I'd be willing to pay a premium - perhaps 10% - at a local store, because it should be easier to handle any problems which may arise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission