2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1560379 11/18/10 08:47 PM
OP Offline
I was reading an article about how the "automobile industry is on the rise" thanks given GM's bailout and subsequent IPO. My first thought was, "How about bringing back the US piano manufacturing sector?"

I was looking at the Heller Bass site recently and saw a post in their forum by a woman in China looking to hire piano technicians for her company. Importing piano technicians? Neat!

China produces lots of pianos and this article says they sold around 300k domestically in 2008. As an aside, the latter article also mentions "From Mao to Mozart" which is available on Netflix streaming, if you're looking for something to watch tonight.

But back to China... That last article also says there are 38 million people studying piano in China. I couldn't find an estimate on the total numbers of pianos in China, but I hope there are a lot. The FMM documentary mentioned the Chinese had very little exposure to Western classical music. Does that mean pianos were rarities there for much of their history?

Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of whether foreign piano technicians are particularly in demand or might there just be an overall shortage? Are there Chinese guilds? Has Reblitz been translated to Chinese?What's goin' on over there? I'd love to see the symbols used for all the piano nomenclature.

Seems like an ESL teaching piano tuner would stay real busy over there... smile

Last edited by pianovoce; 11/18/10 08:50 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I know a few friends who have done some consulting work in China. The level of technical expertise, especially in service and restorations, is pretty low, apparently. This is in part due to lacking educational opportunities.

China is the world's largest piano manufacturer, it could be they make more pianos than everyone else combined. Most of the production is for the domestic market. With that many sales, there MUST be a demand for service people. I am not sure how many western techs would be interested in working at local wages, though.

JG
I was just in Hong Kong, and saw huge billboard ads for pianos - mostly Kawai and Yamaha. There was a giant bus-side ad picturing a Kawai upright, and ads in the subway for Yamaha and Kawai uprights. It was really neat to see. Pianos must be a hot item over there.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

One would think the myriad of technical organizations that have a desire to grow their membership would be concentrating where the majority of pianos are being made these days, and it certainly is not this continent.

Think about it; where has all the manufacturing gone to for the most part? This is where they need technical training of all sorts, not just in the piano field.

OP Offline
Jurgen: Ah, yes... local wages. That's no fun! smile

Tea Girl: It's pretty amazing. I don't know if I've ever seen a piano on a billboard...

Dan: Not only the technical organizations, but the correspondence schools, too. Translate and subtitle! Some Googling revealed that Hailun and Faye Chen, owners of Hailun pianos, are graduates of the Piano Technology School of Beijing. I couldn't find that, but I did find a course listing at the Beijing Contemporary Music Institute.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission