Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1562166 - 11/22/10 04:29 AM Is learning classed as high stress?
noahandgabrielsdad Offline

Loc: Sandbach, Cheshire, England
confusedHi all.
I have been told to keep my stress and anxiety levels as low as possible as I am a quite nervy and excitable person.
Has anyone got any helpful advice on how to practice and play reasonably calmly as I tend to be quite impatient and hard on myself even when I know my self taught piano playing is improving at a slow but very pleasing rate?
Great forum by the way.
Thanks

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1562187 - 11/22/10 06:50 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
tnew Offline

Loc: Austria
I can relate to being excitable and nervy, as I have nervous problems myself. I don't know much about these things, but I wouldn't think learning is so stressful itself. But what I do figure is that stress will affect your ability to learn. Getting the stress under control can only help your playing.

Everybody has different methods of dealing with stress. Sometimes learning itself is a method. Maybe there is something else that is the source of the stress. Maybe you are not tuning out all other problems when you sit down and play.

About tuning out: I have always had trouble tuning out when I should, such as when I am trying to sleep, read, or even when learning. I went to a spa once. They had a meditation room with a wierd lounge chair that warms up, vibrates, and plays funky music while glowing a dim bluish light. I never thought much about meditation, but for the half hour I sat there, I effectively, and accidentally, tuned out completely. I literally had nothing on my mind. I don't know how one achieves that on purpose, but I can tell you it was the most refreshing experience I ever had, and I felt so much more energetic and mentally sharp following that. So I figure there is a health value in 'tuning out'. If you can find a way to do that...meditation, yoga, exercise, whatever works for you...you will probably notice a significant decrease in your stress and feel more relaxed when playing.

Edited by tnew (11/22/10 06:53 AM)

#1562191 - 11/22/10 07:05 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
PianoMath Offline

I usually go make some sex.

#1562341 - 11/22/10 01:10 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Exercise generally is very good for stress. Playing music, especially something fairly easy for you skill level (whatever that is) will also be good.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1562358 - 11/22/10 01:30 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: noahandgabrielsdad
confusedHi all.
I have been told to keep my stress and anxiety levels as low as possible as I am a quite nervy and excitable person.
Has anyone got any helpful advice on how to practice and play reasonably calmly as I tend to be quite impatient and hard on myself even when I know my self taught piano playing is improving at a slow but very pleasing rate?
Great forum by the way.
Thanks
If you practice by "attack-type" methods, then you will get your (un-stated) wish, and be plunged into battle. If you practice slowly, through curiosity and calmly figuring things out, you will get more done than you used to, and have less stress. For people who are used to "attack practice", it can be extremely hard to believe that methodical, curious practice is getting any work done, because they aren't getting those familiar feelings of their mind and body rebelling against mistreatment, which they associate with "work" - when in fact those feelings are just so much wasted energy and wear & tear on the body. Ninety percent of piano practice goes better without a mad adrenaline rush. Indeed there are times when getting excited is probably necessary & helpful - but not all the time.

#1562373 - 11/22/10 02:02 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
What david_a wrote is spot on. Piano practice is enjoyable and a stress reliever.

Or it should be.

#1562471 - 11/22/10 04:47 PM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
david a,

++++1 amen.

Here's the picture:

1 hour spent on two measures with a tricky rhythm, frustration and anxiety level heading skyward as I barrel through it repeat, repeat, repeat, never quite right twice. Pause, deep breath, question: what the heck am I doing here?

5 minutes quietly contemplating, not touching the keys. Evaluating the essence of the problem. 2 more minutes thinking of a little exercise that brings out the problem. 5 minutes calmly doing the little exercise.

Calmly play two troublesome measures as though there's no problem at all.

(slaps self upside the head: hey! try to remember that before you waste the hour next time.)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1562669 - 11/23/10 12:36 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
JimF,
That was great. I think I'll have your post framed and hang it next to my piano.
Thanks.

-SoundThumb

#1562678 - 11/23/10 01:13 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: tnew]
Dror Perl Offline

Loc: NY
David & JimF I can not agree more... smile

Its all about the attitude that you bring with you to your playing/practice.

If you make sure that you're in the right mental state before touching the keys, or focus on that aspect from the moment you start playing, your playing would be more relaxed and you'll probably enjoy more and achieve more.

Take a look at Kenny Werner's book...Effortless Mastery, it comes with a CD that has a few meditations and I think it can be great...for you

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

#1562694 - 11/23/10 02:00 AM Re: Is learning classed as high stress? [Re: noahandgabrielsdad]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Some beautiful comments, sometimes anxiety resides much deeper down though.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (adanepst, Almaviva, 36251, 43 invisible), 1717 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153498 Topics
2249350 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
Today at 06:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission