Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1558472 - 11/15/10 05:46 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: cruiser]
boogieman52 Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi Dough,
my Yamaha P155 is bound to spend the rest of its life at the seaside, where I'm going to play it during the weekends.
Riffs and tunes... difficult to memorize, easy to forget!

Hi Mike,
the major problem with a good transcription is that... it may be too good.
As it is note for note, it includes also little mistakes, little variations and so on, so in the end it may be difficult to learn and memorize the tune.

I find the Pinetop's BW in IBP very useful, because it's more schematic than a good transcription note for note. Unfortunately it's only an excerpt: at least I would have liked to see also the first two choruses.

Please, let me know if you like the Wolfgang's transcription, because maybe I'm going to buy some of his scores in the future.

Good night everybody!
b-52

Piano & Music Accessories
#1559057 - 11/16/10 02:44 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

In the afternoon I recorded Barrelhouse Blues and Blues with Pick-Ups, then I called my wife and asked:" What do you think about it?"

She looked at me for a few seconds, then she whispered..."I love you just the same..."

Should I be sad as a piano player or should I be happy as a husband??? ;-)

#1559278 - 11/16/10 09:37 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi boogieman52...Recording is one of the best ways to improve you playing....if it is all bad you know all of it will have to improve overall..if parts are not up to scratch ..they are the parts to improve..I use this feature on my piano all the time..when I have a good take of something ..I will PM it to you....
What wonderful wife...My wife doesn't like the sound of a piano..but she often comments when we are at meal time...that piece is sounding better!!!...or..why are you playing the same piece over and over..??...I just say ..I've forgot how to play the rest of the piece....Just Having fun....Doug

#1559363 - 11/17/10 12:59 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Originally Posted By: b grin grinoogieman52
In the afternoon I recorded Barrelhouse Blues and Blues with Pick-Ups, then I called my wife and asked:" What do you think about it?"

She looked at me for a few seconds, then she whispered..."I love you just the same..."

Should I be sad as a piano player or should I be happy as a husband??? ;-)

grin grin grin

Edited by cruiser (11/17/10 01:00 AM)

#1559845 - 11/17/10 09:14 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi boogieman52...Hey..Hows the new piano..have you passed the license test to drive it yet...wont be long before you will only have to think about what you want to play and it...and the piano will do it for you..very nice to be able to have have such great accompaniment at you finger tips ..your imagination will create a great output for your jazz and blues in the future without having to over play great hand fulls of notes..I use the accompaniment in the piano I have... on the standards I play and it is a lot more entertaining and satisfying to play ...Have been and had a look at the CVP 505....just thinking about it at the moment..you can only play so much boogie and blues..Doug

#1560029 - 11/18/10 06:59 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug,

My new piano is the CLP 370PE, not a CVP, so it doesn't have any accompaniment.
I chose it because I like the sound of the solo piano.
Of course, sometimes I miss the accompaniment, but whithout it I can concentrate on my mistakes and... well, they keep me very busy!

The CVP 505 is a great piano and I understand it does almost everything, even playing for you... :-)

In these days I record everything I play and this is very helpful.
I like to play the easiest tunes in IBP, and concentrate on the sound: I try to get that big fat sound I really love.

P.S. Tomorrow my wife and I are going to the Rhythm Riot, a great R&B and early Rock 'n' Roll Weekender in the South of England, so I will not be able to check this forum until Tuesday morning. But please, my dear IBP friends... keep on posting! :-)

Edited by boogieman52 (11/18/10 07:57 AM)

#1560187 - 11/18/10 12:58 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I hope you and your wife have a great time at Rhythm Riot b-52 smile

Don't twist an ankle and come 'home' to us safely!

#1560216 - 11/18/10 01:44 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Ok, Mike,

I'll do my best to come home safely! :-)

Actually sometimes it may be a little dangerous to dance Boogie Woogie and Rock 'n Roll with so many people around...
At the Rhythm Riot (at the Pontin's in Camber Sand, near Rye) there will be 3000 people, but luckly enough we will not be dancing all togheter at the same time...

I will keep IBP with me, so if a piano player has lost his airplane or get sick on the spot, I can climb the stage and play Jump Shuffle!
Can you imagine my wife's face?!??!
As Dough always says... just having fun! :-)

A weekend full of love to everybody!
b-52 Adalberto

#1560311 - 11/18/10 05:02 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi..boogieman52....Have a great weekend..dont injure youself...Doug

#1562278 - 11/22/10 10:57 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm venturing into chapter 2 of IBP now and working on 6th Blues and Jump shuffle.

I must confess that the old frustration demons are starting to appear again as I try and produce something 'musical' to propel my enthusiasm forward. My long term goal is to be able to play and improvise in a more modern-jazz oriented style - in a Keith Jarrett sort of way - but this seems a million miles away at the moment.

#1562477 - 11/22/10 04:56 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi...cruiser..Have you covered.. New Orleans triplets workout...or..Blueberry Hill .part 1..these are harder to control as they use 4 triplets to the bar..I have trouble to control the tempo when I first start on those pieces..I'm using a metronome for both of these pieces...Jump shuffle I find easer as each vamp alternates ..."just keep at it"...this type of music takes a lot of attitude and cant be overcome in 5 minutes ..play other music to have a break from it...if I am having a problem with timing or reading a piece..I revert to a piece that I can play well..play it seveal times ..then go back to to the problem piece..Dont let it get to you...in the end I want to enjoy playing this type of music....The jazz style I want to play like is Erroll Garner...I'm probally a thousand miles away.......Doug

#1562484 - 11/22/10 05:09 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your support. I have in fact covered new Orleans Triplet workout and Blueberry Hill (Part 1). In all honesty, it didn't take me too long to master these pieces, as written.

This music is a labor of love for me and I'm not about to give in any time soon - just need to navigate my way out of these rough waters, to the open sea!

You may well be "a thousand miles away" from your goal of playing in the Errol Garner style but, thanks to IBP, you're flying! - and a thousand miles is nothing when you're flying!

My best to you Doug
Mike

#1562493 - 11/22/10 05:31 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi...Mike...It just shows how different we all are...some pieces are played easy by some of us and others find it hard to jump the hurdles on other pieces....have fun.....Doug

#1562816 - 11/23/10 08:21 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Doug - as I say, I can play "Blueberry Hill" as written but as soon as I try and sing along to it, as suggested by Tim, my playing falls to pieces! crazy

Mike

#1562909 - 11/23/10 12:11 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
Bullitt Offline

Loc: Norway
Don't forget to go slow at first, as slow as necessary to play it correct and then speed up. I remeber when I started on Blueberry Hill I found it very uncofomforable playing the left hand using the black keys (Bb & Eb). Was quite different than playing in the "normal" keys.

#1563017 - 11/23/10 04:00 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi, IBP friends!

My ankles are safe :-) and I'm back to the piano.
At the Rhythm Riot I danced to the Music of some very good piano players and when we were not dancing, it was very exciting to watch them in action!

Tonight a revision of old tunes, just for the pleasure to play them.

Got a dozen of good Piano Blues CDs and the new Edition of The Story of Boogie Woogie, by Silvester: listening, reading and playing... that should be the right way to play like a pro!
Ok, just kiddin'!
b-52 Adalberto

#1563021 - 11/23/10 04:13 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Adalberto, good to have you back - and injury free! Glad you had a great time in England smile

#1563155 - 11/23/10 09:34 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

HI...boogieman52...Sounds like you had a fantastic week end...I have the Silvester book as well..got it just recently...very interesting..good to watch and hear other players ...can pick a lot up just watching others play..

cruiser...Bullitt...good information for other viewers following the thread...

cruiser...I might change the mileage as you are referring too ..to...a hundred thousand miles!!!..Doug

#1563753 - 11/25/10 12:01 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Thank you, friends!

Last night I started IBP back again from the very beginning
Yes, Mike... I did it! blush

In fact, I feel that I need a more structured approach to this book.
So I'm going to alternate the practice of the tunes I already know with the study of the tunes and exercises I have skipped.

This morning I'm practicing Beginner's Blues with the two Jimmy Yancey's bass lines.
I'll let you know my progresses!

#1563791 - 11/25/10 01:51 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi..boogieman52...The Jimmy Yancey bass line is a melodic grind..that can be hard to cordinate with the right hand..I play it every day with several different r/h riffs....Doug

#1563792 - 11/25/10 01:54 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi Everyone...Look at that.. a birthday cake..I can feel a new piano..soon.......Doug

#1563797 - 11/25/10 02:08 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
Originally Posted By: dissyfingers
Hi Everyone...Look at that.. a birthday cake..I can feel a new piano..soon.......Doug

Happy Birthday Doug.

#1563820 - 11/25/10 03:56 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi...Joe...Thanks ...have listened to some of your tracks...great music..some good country there too...Doug

#1563831 - 11/25/10 05:44 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug!

Happy Birthday and... let us know about that little present... :-)

Adalberto

#1564062 - 11/25/10 02:10 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Been away from my PC for two days....

Sending birthday wishes from a frozen northern Germany to your - hopefully! - warm & sunny part of Australia... Happy birthday Doug!

#1564169 - 11/25/10 05:46 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi ..Adalberto...Mike...
Thanks..have had a great day with all the family....Doug

#1565594 - 11/28/10 03:26 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi ... IBP followers..was a great birthday..have a Yamaha CVP-505 coming tomorrow. ..think this will see me out till I cant play anymore..going to need a licence to drive it...more latter...Doug

#1565636 - 11/28/10 07:04 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow! - many congratulations Doug!... that's a serious piece of kit. I happen to love Yamahas, both digital and acoustic.

Looks like you'll have plenty of options for creating your own backing band etc. etc. smile

#1565880 - 11/28/10 04:08 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi..Mike...I have selected this model as it will give me a wide range of interactive features..can setup my own group to sit in on the blues..there is also an amazing draw bar organ which will make for some nice bebop blues...key board can be split into 3 sections..so this will allow for piano-organ -sax or what ever...another feature I can assign the left pedal for breath control on the sax....not much they haven't thought of with when designing this ensemble piano..no doubt as I play with it over the years I should get some very satisfying hours from it...more latter...Doug

#1566162 - 11/29/10 12:41 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Congratulations, Doug!

It's so nice to see how happy you are!
I wish you thousands and thousands of hours with your CVP-505 and I'm sure it will help you to improve your playing!
b-52 Adalberto

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
38 minutes 14 seconds ago
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
40 minutes 3 seconds ago
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Today at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Today at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Today at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
111 registered (aesop, 36251, AZ_Astro, 38 invisible), 1101 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315385 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission