2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Dough,
my Yamaha P155 is bound to spend the rest of its life at the seaside, where I'm going to play it during the weekends.
Riffs and tunes... difficult to memorize, easy to forget!

Hi Mike,
the major problem with a good transcription is that... it may be too good.
As it is note for note, it includes also little mistakes, little variations and so on, so in the end it may be difficult to learn and memorize the tune.

I find the Pinetop's BW in IBP very useful, because it's more schematic than a good transcription note for note. Unfortunately it's only an excerpt: at least I would have liked to see also the first two choruses.

Please, let me know if you like the Wolfgang's transcription, because maybe I'm going to buy some of his scores in the future.

Good night everybody!
b-52

B
OP Offline
B
In the afternoon I recorded Barrelhouse Blues and Blues with Pick-Ups, then I called my wife and asked:" What do you think about it?"

She looked at me for a few seconds, then she whispered..."I love you just the same..."

Should I be sad as a piano player or should I be happy as a husband??? ;-)

D
D
Hi boogieman52...Recording is one of the best ways to improve you playing....if it is all bad you know all of it will have to improve overall..if parts are not up to scratch ..they are the parts to improve..I use this feature on my piano all the time..when I have a good take of something ..I will PM it to you....
What wonderful wife...My wife doesn't like the sound of a piano..but she often comments when we are at meal time...that piece is sounding better!!!...or..why are you playing the same piece over and over..??...I just say ..I've forgot how to play the rest of the piece....Just Having fun....Doug

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by b grin grinoogieman52
In the afternoon I recorded Barrelhouse Blues and Blues with Pick-Ups, then I called my wife and asked:" What do you think about it?"

She looked at me for a few seconds, then she whispered..."I love you just the same..."

Should I be sad as a piano player or should I be happy as a husband??? ;-)

grin grin grin

Last edited by cruiser; 11/17/10 02:00 AM.
D
D
Hi boogieman52...Hey..Hows the new piano..have you passed the license test to drive it yet...wont be long before you will only have to think about what you want to play and it...and the piano will do it for you..very nice to be able to have have such great accompaniment at you finger tips ..your imagination will create a great output for your jazz and blues in the future without having to over play great hand fulls of notes..I use the accompaniment in the piano I have... on the standards I play and it is a lot more entertaining and satisfying to play ...Have been and had a look at the CVP 505....just thinking about it at the moment..you can only play so much boogie and blues..Doug

B
OP Offline
B
Hi Doug,

My new piano is the CLP 370PE, not a CVP, so it doesn't have any accompaniment.
I chose it because I like the sound of the solo piano.
Of course, sometimes I miss the accompaniment, but whithout it I can concentrate on my mistakes and... well, they keep me very busy!

The CVP 505 is a great piano and I understand it does almost everything, even playing for you... :-)

In these days I record everything I play and this is very helpful.
I like to play the easiest tunes in IBP, and concentrate on the sound: I try to get that big fat sound I really love.

P.S. Tomorrow my wife and I are going to the Rhythm Riot, a great R&B and early Rock 'n' Roll Weekender in the South of England, so I will not be able to check this forum until Tuesday morning. But please, my dear IBP friends... keep on posting! :-)

Last edited by boogieman52; 11/18/10 08:57 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope you and your wife have a great time at Rhythm Riot b-52 smile

Don't twist an ankle and come 'home' to us safely!

B
OP Offline
B
Ok, Mike,

I'll do my best to come home safely! :-)

Actually sometimes it may be a little dangerous to dance Boogie Woogie and Rock 'n Roll with so many people around...
At the Rhythm Riot (at the Pontin's in Camber Sand, near Rye) there will be 3000 people, but luckly enough we will not be dancing all togheter at the same time...

I will keep IBP with me, so if a piano player has lost his airplane or get sick on the spot, I can climb the stage and play Jump Shuffle!
Can you imagine my wife's face?!??!
As Dough always says... just having fun! :-)

A weekend full of love to everybody!
b-52 Adalberto

D
D
Hi..boogieman52....Have a great weekend..dont injure youself...Doug

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm venturing into chapter 2 of IBP now and working on 6th Blues and Jump shuffle.

I must confess that the old frustration demons are starting to appear again as I try and produce something 'musical' to propel my enthusiasm forward. My long term goal is to be able to play and improvise in a more modern-jazz oriented style - in a Keith Jarrett sort of way - but this seems a million miles away at the moment.

D
D
Hi...cruiser..Have you covered.. New Orleans triplets workout...or..Blueberry Hill .part 1..these are harder to control as they use 4 triplets to the bar..I have trouble to control the tempo when I first start on those pieces..I'm using a metronome for both of these pieces...Jump shuffle I find easer as each vamp alternates ..."just keep at it"...this type of music takes a lot of attitude and cant be overcome in 5 minutes ..play other music to have a break from it...if I am having a problem with timing or reading a piece..I revert to a piece that I can play well..play it seveal times ..then go back to to the problem piece..Dont let it get to you...in the end I want to enjoy playing this type of music....The jazz style I want to play like is Erroll Garner...I'm probally a thousand miles away.......Doug

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Doug, I appreciate your support. I have in fact covered new Orleans Triplet workout and Blueberry Hill (Part 1). In all honesty, it didn't take me too long to master these pieces, as written.

This music is a labor of love for me and I'm not about to give in any time soon - just need to navigate my way out of these rough waters, to the open sea!

You may well be "a thousand miles away" from your goal of playing in the Errol Garner style but, thanks to IBP, you're flying! - and a thousand miles is nothing when you're flying!

My best to you Doug
Mike

D
D
Hi...Mike...It just shows how different we all are...some pieces are played easy by some of us and others find it hard to jump the hurdles on other pieces....have fun.....Doug

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Doug - as I say, I can play "Blueberry Hill" as written but as soon as I try and sing along to it, as suggested by Tim, my playing falls to pieces! crazy

Mike

B
B
Don't forget to go slow at first, as slow as necessary to play it correct and then speed up. I remeber when I started on Blueberry Hill I found it very uncofomforable playing the left hand using the black keys (Bb & Eb). Was quite different than playing in the "normal" keys.

B
OP Offline
B
Hi, IBP friends!

My ankles are safe :-) and I'm back to the piano.
At the Rhythm Riot I danced to the Music of some very good piano players and when we were not dancing, it was very exciting to watch them in action!

Tonight a revision of old tunes, just for the pleasure to play them.

Got a dozen of good Piano Blues CDs and the new Edition of The Story of Boogie Woogie, by Silvester: listening, reading and playing... that should be the right way to play like a pro!
Ok, just kiddin'!
b-52 Adalberto

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Adalberto, good to have you back - and injury free! Glad you had a great time in England smile

D
D
HI...boogieman52...Sounds like you had a fantastic week end...I have the Silvester book as well..got it just recently...very interesting..good to watch and hear other players ...can pick a lot up just watching others play..

cruiser...Bullitt...good information for other viewers following the thread...

cruiser...I might change the mileage as you are referring too ..to...a hundred thousand miles!!!..Doug

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you, friends!

Last night I started IBP back again from the very beginning
Yes, Mike... I did it! blush

In fact, I feel that I need a more structured approach to this book.
So I'm going to alternate the practice of the tunes I already know with the study of the tunes and exercises I have skipped.

This morning I'm practicing Beginner's Blues with the two Jimmy Yancey's bass lines.
I'll let you know my progresses!

D
D
Hi..boogieman52...The Jimmy Yancey bass line is a melodic grind..that can be hard to cordinate with the right hand..I play it every day with several different r/h riffs....Doug

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission