2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 106 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 105 106
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Love those Schimmels.........

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Today I moved a Concert Harp. First time I lay my hands on one.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Did 8 today; Cable grand in a church, P-22 for a University dorm, replaced pedals on it last year and this year the sustain pedal pin reamed out and bracket busted, will either replace or fix and tune in a few weeks, Hamilton and old Acro in church, Sohmer Console in home, "Grand" studio in home, S&S L, and Acro console.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Clef,

Thanks for the suggestions. This is the first and no doubt, last time this school will pull that on me. We ironed things out on the phone, no charges from my end, been tuning for them, well, including my dad too, for 45 -50 years. All is forgiven and forgotten.

Love tuning those Schimmels too Bob. They usually sound pretty sweet when I'm done with very few false beats.

Welcome back again Sam! 8. Not me! I think I'm getting to lazy!

I only did 4 yesterday. 1 Schimmel studio, an RX-6, 1 Yamaha full sized upright, one Kawai UST-8. Removed the action on the Schimmel, shoved hammer flange pins back in, many had slid out, tightened action flanges and regulated back checks.

I didn't feel good at all yesterday. Had body aches. Couldn't wait to be done. I am feeling better today though.. grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Friday night, a church called, and needed a piano tuned on Saturday for a concert Sat night. I re-arranged my schedule, and set them up for 9am Sat Morning. Got a call an hour later - Can I come at 7am instead? Ok.... rearranged the schedule again. I showed up at 7am Sat morning, and no one is there. no car in the parking lot, no lights on inside, all doors locked, no doorbell to ring, and no answer at the contact number. So I left and went to the store. Just as I get to the store, the phone rings - it's the church....Sorry, can you still come? heck no, I can't come. I re-arranged my schedule twice for you, got up early for a 7am job, and no one was at the church. Find someone else........ well, I was nicer than that, but I had commitments to other customers .

They called back later and apologized.

I made sure they had someone else to tune the piano and they did - or I suppose I would have re-scheduled for a third time and tuned them myself.

Last edited by Bob; 08/29/10 04:08 PM.
D
D
I had an appointment scheduled with one of my favorite customers today that turned out to be a no show. She called later in the day and said her husband had a severe head injury from a fall. Most of the time the customer just forgets but in this case she had a good excuse. Still the no shows will drive you crazy.

Daryl Durand, RPT
Durand Piano Service
http://www.durandpiano.com
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
No-shows are irritating, aren't they? I had one on Friday. Actually, she was there, but she fell asleep while her baby was taking a nap. Very apologetic, too, but it wasn't so bad because it was the last one of the day and of the week!

Yes, the Schimmel uprights are quite nice. I had one on Thursday, along with a Seiler 132 with SMR action. This action has opposing magnets on the jacks and catchers. Nice pianos, both. Very full tone on the Seiler.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
It's very rare for me to have a no show because I make a point to confirm all appointments the night before. If the customer doesn't return my messages, and they are out of my way, I usually don't go. That is also rare, though.

I remember one Christmas Eve, years ago, I had four scheduled. 8am went fine. 10am was a no show, 12pm canceled to finish her Christmas shopping, and 3pm wasn't home til 3pm. I was 25 miles from home, so going home wasn't an option. I didn't confirm appointments back then. I haven't worked Christmas Eve since then either. grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I evaluated an 1850 square yesterday -- an A. H. Gale. Wooden frame; no cast iron. Square tuning pins. Odd to see hammers crosswise to the shanks in the bass, and that starburst pattern of strings in the high treble (they fan out in about 3/4 of a circle). Leather-covered hammers about 3/4" across. Delicate dampers on levers. Ivory keys, with horizontal recesses on the keyfronts. The vertical area above the keys curves towards the front at the sides, so the first and last few keys are shorter and have curved tops. Soundboard is enclosed from the bottom, like a harpsichord. Beautiful rosewood veneer.

160 years old, and still plays! Amazing.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tuned 4 Yamaha's today. 1 U 1 and 3 P22's. Dassss it! I have arthritis in my back. I'm finding that tuning many more than 4 a day just kills it. Guess that's a good excuse to not work as any huh??? yippie

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've been using my hammer like crazy lately...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Would much rather be pulling some strings...lol

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Looking good Les! Do I dare say that you're "board" with it? Or, you're "Strutting" your stuff? Orrrr, you're in the right "frame" of mind? Orrrr, your house is really all "decked" out? Orrrrrr, you live on the upper "tier?" Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
You "nailed" it, Jerry.

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Of late, just "joisting" around... btw, it's a clients house, my other job.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Had an old Acro with the capstans and booby trap sticker guides and 150 cents low in pitch. They sell stuff on ebay and had a 3 foot long tube labeled “music wire” that they had not been able to sell and wondered if I was interested. I remember that some hardware stores would carry music wire. I looked inside and sure enough there was a selection of straight-as-an-arrow piano wire without rust, with the ends sawed instead of snipped off, and including some larger sizes. So I said sure I am interested. Sometimes a bass string breaks and I need a piece of heavier wire to splice it. (I don’t have a proper selection, but often just use the heaviest I have…) They said they barter. So what happens? You guessed it, a bichord broke. So I didn’t charge for the splice and got the tube of music wire. I haven’t checked all the sizes, but the largest is 0.125 and the smallest 0.020. Hope I never need the largest!!!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I tied a knot in note C1 on a Mason Hamlin at the U. I brought the string home, and with the help of a bench vise, made the knot. Wire was a bit stiff..............

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Bob
I tied a knot in note C1 on a Mason Hamlin at the U. I brought the string home, and with the help of a bench vise, made the knot. Wire was a bit stiff..............

Ouch! That's serious torque you have to apply. What sized wire did you have to use?

Last edited by Dave Stahl; 09/02/10 12:01 AM.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I used size 21. I tried do make the knot at the school, but there was no way it was going to be small enough to rest in the speaking length. This is an Aeolian Mason that was in a teacher's office but it's just been moved to a practice room. It needs new hammers and strings. I replaced the crusty damper felt two years ago.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Encouraged by Jerry and others, I realized that I can pull a piano up to approximate pitch very fast, with or without an ETD. Tried that today, and the important thing is "don't dwell".

Well, I don't dwell in my everyday life anymore, but I have a hard time transferring that revelation through my tuning hammer. Anyways, I got where I wanted to be in 15 min - about half the time I normally use. Thanks Jer! smile

Last edited by pppat; 09/02/10 07:34 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
So what did you do with the 15 minutes you saved?

Semipro Tech
Page 35 of 106 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission