Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1563443 - 11/24/10 11:20 AM Posting links
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
There's a lot of links posted on this site showing pianos, piano performances, etc.

I have posted links here (and elsewhere) and find it confusing as to what are "legal links" and those that may not be legal.

I've searched this subject a bit and find that it's a debatable subject. How does one know FOR SURE a piano performance is or is not copyrighted? Too, they say that a link is not copying, per se, but merely a means of directing people's attention to what may or may not be copyrighted.

Is YouTube liable when an individual posts a link to a copyrighted performance shown on their site or is the individual liable? Or, neither? Believe I read that YouTube is often contacted by companies or individuals who ask them to remove their copyrighted materials, performances, etc.

I believe this is one of the new computer related legal issues that has not been thoroughly addressed by the courts thus leading to confusion.

Bech

Edited by Bech (11/24/10 01:02 PM)

#1563708 - 11/24/10 10:30 PM Re: Posting links [Re: Bech]
Bech Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
I'm sure there are lawyers in this group. What can you tell me about links and legality?

Be glad to hear from all.

Bech

#1570300 - 12/04/10 08:04 PM Re: Posting links [Re: Bech]
appleman Offline

I am not a lawyer, and I'm an US-centric, so I'm answering only for the US.

Original poster = the one who posts the material in question.
End user = the person viewing the video.
Originally Posted By: Bech
How does one know FOR SURE a piano performance is or is not copyrighted?
There is no way for an end user to really know, unless good copyright information is provided by the original poster.

Even if an end user asks the original poster, they may be confused about copyright issues or even outright malicious.

An example would be a musician who infringed on a popular song, but still he claimed on the video to have all rights secured.
Quote:
Too, they say that a link is not copying, per se, but merely a means of directing people's attention to what may or may not be copyrighted.
A link is not copying, but knowingly linking to infringing material is illegal.

Innocently linking to infringing material is legally gray, but it's likely legal.
Quote:
Is YouTube liable when an individual posts a link to a copyrighted performance shown on their site or is the individual liable?
The original poster is responsible for copyright. This is in the ToS and is also part of the safe harbor of the DMCA.
Quote:
Believe I read that YouTube is often contacted by companies or individuals who ask them to remove their copyrighted materials, performances, etc.
This is correct. This is a part of the DMCA.

Youtube is not a content provider, but only provides a platform to distribute content. If a copyright owner sees something infringing, they can file a DMCA notice with youtube and take down the offending material.

The original poster can also file a DMCA notice to put back the offending material, although they take a large legal responsibility in doing so. They testify that the material is legal and in doing so, they cannot claim they they didn't know it was illegal.
Quote:
I believe this is one of the new computer related legal issues that has not been thoroughly addressed by the courts thus leading to confusion.
Well, three cases have proved that knowingly linking to infringing material is illegal.

Plaintiff Intellectual Reserve (IR) vs Utah Lighthouse Ministry (ULM)

Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Reimerdes

Comcast vs. Hightech Electronics Inc

As far as I know, there has been no cases of innocently linking to illegal material.

#1894737 - 05/10/12 11:51 AM Re: Posting links [Re: Bech]
jeremyrhyte Offline

DMCA is very helpful - I had a short story stolen and placed on a blog - the complaint that I filed was instrumental in having the blogger's blog taken down. Of course, others will crop up - it does seem to be a never-ending battle...

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
32 minutes 13 seconds ago
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Who's Online
60 registered (barbaram, beeboss, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 1130 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158408 Topics
2326275 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission