2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I'm starting to work with a new adult student and I'm familiar with a quite few good method books out there but I'd love to hear your perspective (adults over 20yrs old who started from scratch and learned from a method book) a genuine opinion. Which method did you work with and liked (as specific as you can--what did you like about it?

Thanks and Happy holiday to everyone

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
alfred's

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Celebration Perspectives from Frederick Harris Music.

Start with one of the others but after a few years this is where it is at, the real deal. A graded course series. It ain't a walk in the park. It has brought tears to my eyes more than once but I do see progress.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I started with Alfred's Adult Basic Piano course.
I have no other series to compare it to.

The following is based on Adult Level One Basic Course.

What I liked:
Lessons take nothing for granted.
Each lesson builds on the previous in a very linear fashion.
Virtually every new lesson/song emphasizes a new terminology, technique, concept, etc...
Throughout the book it reference other Alfreed's books you are ready for or should use to supplement.

What I did NOT care for:
(Take these with a grain of salt, I realize I am speaking of the basic course, not the All-In One, and I know there are supplementary materials)
Not enough details regarding technique/posture.
Not enough theory.
Not enough background/history.
Most songs (for me) were boring, dry.
Almost no mention of playing musically or evoking emotion.

Overall, I feel it is a solid series that a motivated self taught person can benefit form. That being said, I think it is a great series for a teacher to use with their supplementary materials and instruction.

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you very much Triryche for the detailed answer. I appreciate you taking the time and answering my question. I am familiar with the Alfred and it was important to me to get a genuine feedback from a student perspective, from a student who's actually worked with the book.

Stevester...thank you. I'm not familiar with the Celebration Perspectives from Frederick Harris Music. besides the tears how are you enjoying the music? Is it dry/fun/boring/exciting ?

Thank you all

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

P
P
With my adult and older beginners I work with; Alfred's I used to play the piano, Hal Leonards Adult lessons and Piano Adventures Adult lessons.

Hal Leonard works great to get started with, the students progress quickly with note reading and the music has a nice accompaniment CD. However after a while my students get bored, and I find it less useful too, so we usually switch over to Alfreds "I used to play piano" after 1 and 1/2 book. The Piano Adventures has a nice repertoire- but I find it somewhat "patchy" in the progress. The Celebration series I love! thumb The repertoire is for (almost) all tastes and there are some real gems there. Very well thought through material and levels. I usually begin later, though with books 3, 4 and 5 an on where the music in my opinion gets more interesting!

Happy Practicing! 🎹😀

Maria Lewander
Piano Pedagogue, Music Teacher
https://www.OnlinePianoCoach.com/
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I like Celebration very much. The music covers all periods and since there is so much of it in each Grade I have known students that have only focused on periods/or pieces they like. The series also offers CDs which you can purchase and listen to to help you polish a piece after working on it for a while.

Of note, I supplement with Kjos (Master Works Series) and I am now working with Kabalevsky as well as Celebration.

Celebration is only going to be for the more serious student and only after a little warm up. It is very left hand intense, you won't find any chords here.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission