2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Simon,

The CA18 was launched in Europe at the beginning of 2009.

do you have any idea of when a successor of the CA18 might appear ?

Yes, however I am reluctant to talk specifically about products that have yet to be officially announced by Kawai Europe.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Hello James,

Thanks. There is something else that remains uncertain for me : from what I read on KAWAI site, there has been 2 generations of harmonic imaging technology. The CA 18 has the latest, harmonic imaging II, right ?

Will it be possible to upgrade the CA 18 to progressive harmonic imaging (I suppose not) ?

At last, I would also like to know about the MIDI connection.

Kind Regards,
Simon.

Last edited by Simon GIRARDEAU; 06/23/10 03:40 PM.
Hello Simon,

...from what I read on KAWAI site, there has been 2 generations of harmonic imaging technology.[/quite]

Actually, there have been more, although this depends on how you classify 'generation' and 'revision'. I would argue that there have been three 'generations' of Harmonic Imaging:

1st gen.: Harmonic Imaging
2nd gen.: Harmonic Imaging II
3rd gen.: Harmonic Imaging, 88-key piano sampling (including Progressive and Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging)

[quote]The CA 18 has the latest, harmonic imaging II, right ?

Well, if we were to reference the list above, the CA18 utilises the latest generation 'Harmonic Imaging, 88-key piano sampling'.

Will it be possible to upgrade the CA 18 to progressive harmonic imaging (I suppose not) ?

No, I'm afraid not.

At last, I would also like to know about the MIDI connection.

Unfortunately the CA18 is not equipped with MIDI connectors.

I hope this answers your query.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
Hello James & everyone on the forum,

Thanks for your answers.
I am still hesitating ... I tried a CA 18 & a CA 63 at a local store in Bordeaux (but no CA 93), and couldn't decide what to buy. Choosing an instrument is a long process.
I am looking for a digital piano in this price range (2000 euros), featuring wooden keys, a realistic action, a realistic sound (good electronic, amplification & speakers), few options (no display, USB or midi connections are needed) and a nice appearance.
The CA 18 is close to my wills, but I think I am going to wait until Kawai introduces its successor. Perhaps will it feature RM3 action & progressive harmonic imaging ...
The extra point would be a nice Jazz organ sound (no such sound in CA18) and improved amplification / speakers.
Could you tell people at Kawai to design a new piano just like this ? I would buy it right away ! :-)

Kind regards,
Simon.

Could you tell people at Kawai to design a new piano just like this ?

I think you may overestimate my influence within the company. wink

However, please do remain patient... wink

Cheers,
James
x

A
A
I took a while to decide between the CA18 and CA63. Eventually I decided on the CA63. I found the sound the same, but the action and the fact that the CA63 had midi connections won it for me.

S
S
Hello James & everyone,

It's been a long time since my last post, and I finally set up my mind on a CA93 !
I have been able to play test this model in a new store downtown Bordeaux, and I really loved the soundboard ! I should have it delivered by the end of the week.
Still, I would like to use Scarbee on my iMac in order to use vintage electric piano sounds (I don't like e-pianos sounds in the CA93 so much). How should I proceed ? Is it possible to send the signal back to the piano in order to use the CA93 amplification system ? I don't know what kind of cable I need to buy ...

Thanks,
Simon.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sure, you can send the audio signal to CA93 line-in. You will need some cheapo adapters for this. I do this kind of sound tweaking from time to time, and it works flawlessly. You can even combine internal and external sounds and adjust them accordingly since the line-in level is adjustable.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
R
R
Hi

I recommend you spend a decent amount of money on any cables or connectors. Cheap ones work but there has never been a good reason to buy cheap cabling unless you simply can't afford them.

That's a great piano with an obviously steep financial outlay so I wouldn't cheap on interconnects at this stage..

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Simon GIRARDEAU
It's been a long time since my last post, and I finally set up my mind on a CA93!
Congratulations Simon, excellent choice! thumb

I agree with your statement on the standard EP preset. Before buying any cables, you first might want to check out the much more exciting and dedicated 'soundboard shaking' dual voice EP's in this thread for free:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0for%20KAWAI%20CA93/CA6.html#Post1448603

Here are the names of the currently available CA93-optimised EP presets*:
1. Involving E-Piano
2. Dreamy Tremolo Hybrid
3. Warm Rhodes Overdrive
4. Fast Attack Fender Rhodes
5. Wurlitzer E-Piano - rare model
6. Kawai EP-308 Electric Grand
7. Yamaha CP70/CP80 Electric Grand
8. The Electric Grands Collection
9. Percussive Crystal Electric Piano
10. Herbie Hancock's Suitcase Rhodes
11. Supertramp 'Dreamer' Wurlitzer
12. Heavy Amped Vintage Rhodes

*) Except for 7 and 10, they will also run on a CA63.

Your feedback and suggestions would be highly appreciated in the CA93/CA63 Custom Settings thread. smile

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Rimmer
I recommend you spend a decent amount of money on any cables or connectors. Cheap ones work but there has never been a good reason to buy cheap cabling unless you simply can't afford them.

That's a great piano with an obviously steep financial outlay so I wouldn't cheap on interconnects at this stage..

I have to comment on this since this often has been the cause of misunderstandings. I would pay money for things that really influence the sound quality. Cabling (if it's not about extremely bad quality) doesn't influence the sound quality in an audible way. So a cable and adapters with decent quality is absolutely sufficient. No "premium" quality necessary, believe me.

R
R
Originally Posted by mucci

I have to comment on this since this often has been the cause of misunderstandings. I would pay money for things that really influence the sound quality. Cabling (if it's not about extremely bad quality) doesn't influence the sound quality in an audible way. So a cable and adapters with decent quality is absolutely sufficient. No "premium" quality necessary, believe me.

I'll agree to disagree then smirk

Cabling does very much affect the sound quality, albeit in mostly a subtle way. The quality of the materials right through the build, length, gauge etc are all factors.

That said, I tend not to get silly about the amount I spend on cable, but I always try my best to get the best cable (or quite often make it myself) I can for the job. I never buy anything cheap...

Regards. Rimmer

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
List of significance for sound:

1. Loudspeakers / Headphones
2. Quality of sound source (if it's at least a decent soundcard)
3. Sound setup (EQ, other effects, technically correct volume settings...)
4. Quality of amplifier
5. Quality of analog audio cable
9999. Other Voodoo stuff like quality of digital audio cable which has 0% influence on sound quality

"Cabling does very much affect the sound quality, albeit in mostly a subtle way."
What way is that? I've never heard any such difference. Voodoo, indeed! smile

In a cheap cable, under that plastic jacket .. there's wire.
In an expensive cable, under that plastic jacket ... there's wire.
The only real difference is in the connectors.

Cheap cables have connectors that are pure crap (as in flimsy connectors and flimsy strain reliefs). Not good. Aside from that, there's not much difference.

R
R
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
"Cabling does very much affect the sound quality, albeit in mostly a subtle way."
What way is that? I've never heard any such difference. Voodoo, indeed! smile

In a cheap cable, under that plastic jacket .. there's wire.
In an expensive cable, under that plastic jacket ... there's wire.
The only real difference is in the connectors.

Cheap cables have connectors that are pure crap (as in flimsy connectors and flimsy strain reliefs). Not good. Aside from that, there's not much difference.

I can only recommend that you guys therefore buy cheap copper compositions. There is nothing more wrong in my opinion in ignoring the differences in the quality of a signal chain and cabling considerations. How do you guys feel about the flow of electrons when it comes to cable marked with a direction arrow? Everything from the stuff used on hifi interconnects or speaker cable to the stuff they lay for telecommunications? Just interested more than anything.

Regards. Rimmer

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I can only recommend that you guys therefore buy cheap copper compositions. There is nothing more wrong in my opinion in ignoring the differences in the quality of a signal chain and cabling considerations.

Mac is right, only the connectors matter, they should be firm and not loose, there must be a good contact.

How do you guys feel about the flow of electrons when it comes to cable marked with a direction arrow?

Voodoo. How do electrons know in which direction they need to flow?

Everything from the stuff used on hifi interconnects or speaker cable to the stuff they lay for telecommunications? Just interested more than anything.

We're talking about short interconnections. Small length - almost no impact; long length (not relevant for inhouse conncetions) - some impact.

Not to mention digital signals - for digital signals there is only a "does work" or a "does not work", no decrease in quality possible.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I wasn't going to join this part of the discussion because it's OT from the starting subject.

I don't have any real experience and don't buy into the argument that oxygen free speaker cables are better as loved by so many audiophiles.

I do know from experience that more expensive cables used for analogue signals are superior to cheaper cables, usually because of the connectors, wire gauge, construction - pair twists, separation, and screening.

Then comes the digital discussion. There are different grades of 'category' types of data cable, examples CAT3, 5, 7 and so on, with different construction to provide for the different bandwidths. As you may guess the higher spec CAT cables are more expensive.

So my guess is that all cables are not equal.

CAT 3/5/etc cables are a different story. The signal frequencies are VERY high, in a range where cable characteristics influence the ability to carry the signal. There is a difference between CAT 3/5/etc. Rightly so, because they're intended for different purposes (10 Mbps vs. 100 Mbps vs 1000 Mbps).

But the discussion here focused on analog audio signals, where frequencies are ultra-low. A cable's transmission-line characteristics are negligible in these circumstances (low-frequencies, short cables, low impedances).

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-end_audio_cables

As for oxygen-free copper cables ... Wiki claims a difference of about 0.1% in conductivity. That's beyond negligible. The claimed benefits of oxygen-free copper is a marketing fantasy, invented to spur sales of high-priced goods by preying on ignorance. When your business stands before people who have lots of money and little information, you can pocket a tidy sum.

When buying cables, just be sure the cable is rugged enough to endure in your intended application. A band on the road needs to use rugged cables because they'll be pulled, twisted, stepped on, and otherwise abused. At home, when wiring a piano to an amplifier, the cables may go untouched for months or years, so ruggedness is no issue.

R
R
Originally Posted by mucci
I can only recommend that you guys therefore buy cheap copper compositions. There is nothing more wrong in my opinion in ignoring the differences in the quality of a signal chain and cabling considerations.

Mac is right, only the connectors matter, they should be firm and not loose, there must be a good contact.

How do you guys feel about the flow of electrons when it comes to cable marked with a direction arrow?

Voodoo. How do electrons know in which direction they need to flow?

Everything from the stuff used on hifi interconnects or speaker cable to the stuff they lay for telecommunications? Just interested more than anything.

We're talking about short interconnections. Small length - almost no impact; long length (not relevant for inhouse conncetions) - some impact.

Not to mention digital signals - for digital signals there is only a "does work" or a "does not work", no decrease in quality possible.

Again. I'll agree to disagree. Buying quality cable does make a difference on a number of levels other than durability. The gauge of speaker cable for instance will vary the frequency spectrum. The shielding on unbalanced cable will make a difference. The length of the cable (and this should be discussed when claiming all cables are equal) makes a lot of difference.

The whole cable making industry aren't trying to have everybody over. Granted there are times where spending £100 on a meter of monster cable will be a waste of time if the equipment you are using is incapable of benefitting. Spending £10 on a cable from a crap electrical shop that sells at a 500% profit is another example of a waste of money. Buying a crappy length of thin gauge cable and saying it's exactly the same as a quality screened equivalent is not good advice... wink

Regards. Rimmer

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Buying a crappy length of thin gauge cable and saying it's exactly the same as a quality screened equivalent is not good advice... wink

Yes, it is. It is good advice because it helps you to keep your money for things that really matter.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission