2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 98 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 97 98
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
News update from Channel Two:

"A nest of wasps has been removed from the Alameda County Fairground after over one hundred people were stung during a fireworks display over the weekend. Some were treated at the scene for stings, but no one dropped dead suffered from anaphlactic shock brought on by an allergic reaction to the stings, Fairground management said."

Please convey my compliments to Monsieur. A good maitre-d makes all the difference in the world. Of course, I knew the Castle would have a very fine one.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 07/05/10 03:23 PM.

Clef

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by apple*
They offered me a job playing the chapel organ (it weighs about 50 pounds) in a chapel on Saturdays.. no thanks. I would love to play that big beast.. and I have as a sub, but apparently my pedalling is too inaccurate for the high standards.. heh.

I played one of those little chapel organs for the English language services in a big cathedral in Wuerzburg. Like you I wasn't allowed near the big pipe organ in the main cathedral section.

The little consort organ was fun. One manual, no pedals, the blower was in the seat, and there were only four stops. But it was a real pipe organ, with the pipes folded to fit into the console, and a nice sound.

gotta go practice
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
thank goodness I didn't take that chapel organ job.. because I got the Saturday job I wanted... two months after i auditioned for it.

darling little pipe organ in an adorable church.. I am organist #2, so I doubt if I will ever get to do a wedding there. I need to learn how to play that little organ.. i sounded pretty timid and trepidatious yesterday. i know there are ways to boost the volume and make it sound fantastic.. just haven't figured it out.

(I am having my piano and organ moved to my new house this week on Thursday).

cheers.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi everyone, I guess it's official and I'm "booked" for my own sister's wedding in October, if things go well, that won't be the only event I get play at! I'm very excited at the moment but I get the feeling as the time approaches nervousness will start to kick in (hundreds of guests). The setup of the wedding is just a banquet with all the guests already seated at round dinner tables. The bride enters twice and I'm planning on going with the following program:

1. Bride enters the first time: Canon in D, I was leaning towards Claire de Lune, but Canon is more traditional, going to stick with the Lee Galloway version, it's simple yet very pretty and a bit new age.
2. Some formal introductions da da da, people start eating then I start with more light hearted Chopin Waltzes (3 in my head at the moment, 64/1, 64/2 and 69/1
3. The bride changes into a evening gown and enters again: Chopin Nocturne 9/2
4. The people then start getting drunk, and I go with another Chopin Nocturne 9/1
5. When nobody is listening anymore, I go with a few pieces from Yiruma like Kiss the Rain and background music.

What do you guys think?

I'm sure that will be so much fun for you. When the bride enters again in an evening gown I'd do something pompous and ceremonious.. perhaps a rocked out version of the bridal march.. just for a bit, to gather everyone's attention. You may need to have more music ready. Will there be recorded music? dancing?

on a different note, I moved my piano into my new house yesterday.. actually paid for a mover. We will be moving our furniture ourselves. (yuk). I knew the piano would sound better in the new space but I was blown away by how absolutely awesome, powerful and divine it sounded. it's in a bit of an indoor ampitheatre... so I am very happy. that's my daughter.

[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
This may have something to do with weddings, or it may not. I was just enjoying my first bite of a delicious Haagen Das bar, covered with chocolate and almonds, when the news came over the TV: this Sunday is National Ice Cream Day.

Technically, it may apply only to the United States... but I like to think that, in the name of international solidarity, people all over the world might like to join in, if they care for ice cream. Even people who are getting married; even people who are moving house.

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I agree. Ice cream for everyone. Even the brides. Just don't eat it at the piano.

Some guests at the castle, who mean well but just aren't thinking, insist on giving me food while I'm playing. I once received a tiny dish of raspberry sorbet at the piano, as close I've gotten to ice cream. I took a break and ate it at the bar.

Apple, that new place look gorgeous! Congrats on having such a fabulous spot for your piano!!!

Rui, I think your program sounds lovely. Just remember one thing, the bride will be down the aisle in about 5 seconds flat. If they want to actually hear the entire piece of music, I advise telling the bride to WAIT before making her entrance. Sometimes I even cue the bride, with a subtle nod. (You could get creative here, right, Clef??)

My friends, I am headed to Ireland for a few weeks, where my husband is teaching at the Sligo Jazz Workshop and I shall try to get some writing done. I'll be checking in.

Happy summer!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
have a wonderful trip Robin.

Jeff.. I will eat anything tasty but ice cream.. I have never enjoyed it much. My family adores ice cream. My dear mother (bless her soul) was an addict.

((((I am enjoying my little job at the church erected in 1892. I was told I could play more emphatically, so I went to listen to the head organist who has been there 35 years. OMG - he is a theatreorganist, able to get that little pipe organ to do all sorts of cheerful, rhythmic things. I've never heard anyone play at church like that so I look forward to learning some new skills.

This will be the week from heck for me. I have been cooking for my father in law for 10 years now and we had to call hospice for him. Relatives are coming in to help care for him and eat my cooking. It will be an absolute zoo. the weather here is dreadfully oppressive nice and warm. I went to check my piano last nite. It has been sitting under 5 quilts in high humidity.. and it sounds still fantastic. I envision a clean organized home and 3 hours sitting in front of me, maybe in September when my tvzombies darling children go back to school. )))

back to weddings

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sherbet, gelato, snowcones? Well never mind, dear Apple, you eat what you like. As for ice cream, we're safe for another year. Anyway, it's not like it's health food; some say it exists only to pad the bottom line of Jenny Craig and 1-800-DENTIST.

I'm sorry about your father-in-law. Thank goodness hospice is there. Is he to receive palliative care in-home, or to go to a facility for skilled nursing care? There's something to be said for either.

I enjoyed your strike-throughs, though I think you're wise to replace your initial thought with the most positive outlook you can muster. Don't ask me how it works--- I don't know--- but sometimes these 'replacement thoughts' have a way of coming true.

My own little darling, my bitch Roxie, just came back from a short office visit with the vet to have her sutures removed, after a bladder cancer was detected in time for a surgery to do her some good. She is well and happy now, and we will do everything we can to keep it that way. I'm not much good at predicting the future--- I'll be lucky if I can tell what the future holds when it gets here--- but she ate enough ice cream yesterday to make up for you. So, you're excused for this year.

Clef

i like snowcones.. yep. I like creamy sauces.. mixing cold and creamy doesn't work for me... I guess I'm fortunate.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Rui, I'm working on that Galloway version of the Canon right now myself. (And I wish that *I* could call it easy! grin ) I think it would work well if you could tell the bride to time her walk down the aisle to start right when the bass changes to all those 16th notes. If she walks slowly, that would give you the chance to finish up the piece, even if they have to stand there for a little bit until you wind up the big concluding chords.

Robin, great story about the wheelchair guy. I loved the last few lines especially.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi Everyone!

Ireland is just as green and lovely as one might expect.

Apple, I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. With the new job, the new house, and the illness in your family you certainly have your hands full.

Rui, Monica's advice is sound. It would be tragic to learn that piece and not be able to play it through. Frank Baxter posted something about this way back at the start of this thread--it was very funny!

Clef, happy to hear that Roxie is on the mend!

Monica, glad you like that story. It has been revised about 12 times at this point and has gone to my translator. It was kind of tricky to write, but at this point I feel as if it's ready to go. That may well change in a few days---I tend to agonize over these things and re-write everything up until the last minute.

It's a foggy and damp morning here on the Emerald Isle, so I intend to use the time to write a bit. We're here because of the Sligo Jazz Project, so there's lots of music!

Cheers!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
RMG is a Steinway Artist
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG
Monica, glad you like that story. It has been revised about 12 times at this point and has gone to my translator.

I hope you remember not to confine yourself to the facts.

You are a storyteller, not a historian.

Hee, hee.

gotta go practice
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi Tim,

There's a new term floating around literary circles. "Faction"

Fact = Fiction = Faction

I think that comes close to describing what I do. The minute a writer puts pen to paper (or fingertips to keyboard) the truth becomes blurred by the writer's point of view. My friend, the esteemed author and hobby pianist William Zinsser, calls this "Inventing the Truth." But I think calling it storytelling is just as appropriate. My stories are all true stories, but, you know, they have my spin on them. So they destined to be a bit warped.

Okay, I am staying in a place in Sligo that was a former MENTAL HOSPITAL. The name of the road is Mental Hospital Road. Perfect spot for a jazz workshop. They also do weddings here. Hoping to check out an Irish wedding on Saturday.

There is music EVERYWHERE in this country!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
faction = excellent

I prefer not to confine myself to the hard cold truth.. it's too boring. facts often need a bit of pizazz... just a little exaggeration works for me.

btw Robin.. i love how a white scarf looks over a black outfit. why haven't i thought of that?

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh yes, get yourself a beautiful white silk scarf. It will become a critical part of your wardrobe. I try not to wear all black (my outfit of choice) to weddings, so I often throw the white scarf over my shoulders. It's the girl-version of a tuxedo. Perfect!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
And "Today in Wedding History:"

1986, Andrew, Duke of York, marries the Duchess Fergie at Westminster Abbey.

I'm dying to tell a joke to lighten a dark occasion, which I am sure the Royal Family is not celebrating--- just for once, I'll leave bad enough alone.

Clef

thank you all (particularly RMG) for this wonderful thread. It's a delight to read through.. calms my nerves and makes me laugh. It's definitely worth a re-read. There is so much going on in my life it's absurd... two major deaths, freaking grieving relatives, a move postponed weekly, and genuine grief for two of the most absolutely wonderful people who were a major part of my life.

My relatives are wearing me out.. my sister, the drama queen of the universe who hates and blames everyone and everything for her supposed horrid life (she really had nothing to complain about), the inlaws from Wisconsin who'll boost anything not nailed down, who let my FIL lie in his own **** because they were too ****ing lazy to wake him up, feed and nebulize him, my SIL, the micromanager of the world who is so stressed out and grieving that she is demanding that everyone else lose it too..

The main organist at my new job asked if he could go on vacation for August. He hasn't had a vacation in 13 years (poor guy). I'll happily play the 4 services weekly, one wedding scheduled, and any funerals that pop up. I'll just perform those moving chores Mon. thru Fri. and hope I get it together before the school year begins.

I now have a guest room. wink.. if anyone pops thru Kansas City and wants to test drive the Estoniette.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
thanks for the advice everyone!

I've decided to just do Darth Vader theme and have my sister pay for pushing me around when i was kid hahahhah... grin

just kidding!

I was chatting with her about the music, she said she actually wouldn't mind walking down the aisle with the Darth Vader theme, just that the parents would not be so keen on this idea....

Last edited by Rui725; 07/27/10 08:27 AM.
Page 27 of 98 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 97 98

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission