2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 53 of 106 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 105 106
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My first concert tuning. I tuned in a mild version of Bach's temperament with FA around 4.5 bps. It sounded great and the pianist and the choir were both happy!

Kees

S
S
Cleared snow from car and went out, nice L Baldwin in neighborhood, so I could walk home if necessary. Went to ABC store, had some problems getting up ramp so exited. Not much open here, glad we had supplies.

Tuned a little knabe grand that had a jack that would not come back under the knuckle on one key in the middle of the keyboard. The "stop" on the jack was a flimsy little platform in the front of a very thin wire. Where it went into the wood there was a crack. The tiny platform was out of alignment. Showed it to the owner who showed it to her friend who then proceeded to "fix it" into several pieces (not on purpose). Owner asked if I could steal a part from another key to fix that key. I did. Had originally thought of applying a bit of glue and coming back to it, but oh well. . .

I HATE doing stuff like that, but one must do what one must do, I suppose. . .

Last edited by Dennis Kelvie; 12/17/10 01:24 AM.

Dennis C. Kelvie
Piano Tuner/Technician since 1976
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The surgery went well today. My wife should be home tomorrow.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
BDB, that's good news. smile glad everything went well.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
Tuned a Kimball Grand Piano in a church today that was built in 1924 according to the serial number. Not sure of the overall length but was at least a 7 footer.

Obvious lots of work had been done in the last few years since it had new tuning pins and strings. New looking flanges and hammers.

Beautiful grand, black in color. Played well and sounded good. Lots of unisons needed tweaking. But when I inspected the piano closer I found the treble bridge was breaking out around the pins and allowing the pins to move. That's why the unisons are moving out of tune.

Then went out on the country where the creepy crawlers lived to tune and old Newman Bros Upright. While I tuned I would have to reglue jacks to the whippens. Not many, but enough to slow me down a little.

From there went to another house out in the boonies to tune a Chickering spinet. Supposed to be there at 3pm, got there at 3pm and no one home. Grrrrr.

45 miles back home.

On the bright side, my son is home for a few days for Christmas and he and his wife and daughter came in. He has to be back in Groton, CT soon though to finish his training at the naval base there, then they move to Bangor, Washington.

Other than the one "Grrrr" today has been a good day.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
I did 3 today. One freebie for a nursing home---but it was 40 miles away, harumph, oh well. Then a nice older Gulbransen grand for the masons. To finish up===an older Wurlitzer spinet--last tuned in April 1970. needless to say, that one took quite a while. Maybe a little less than 40yrs between tunings please!!

Beckerman, unregistered tuner, piano teacher
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
At #2 the gate was locked. No door bell. I knocked and yelled for 10 min. Phone was busy. Townhouse - no access to windows or back yard. I left a note and went to tune my Dad'a Steinway. Sure enough.....1/2 hour later the phone rings....where are u? Well i can come back in January.....Merry Xmas!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bob. Ha ha ha ha! Love your response!!!! I had a gated entry once, the wife didn't bother to inform the husband that I was coming. Total surprise to him. This was a long time ago, several years back.

I rang the buzzer... Yes? Hi, Jerry Groot here, to tune the piano. WHO? Jerry Groot here, to tune the piano. "We don't have an appointment." Yes, we do. "Who are you?" Getting aggitated now, Jerry Groot... Silence. Is so and so there? (Wife) "No, she's not available at this time." Well, she made an appointment with me for today and 11 AM to tune the piano. She obviously didn't tell you huh? "Obviously and I'm reluctant to just let you in." Well, that's understandable but, how often Mr so and so, do you have someone buzz your phone telling you that he is a piano tuner, like, maybe NEVER? So, do you suppose that I am actually legit? Silience... Helloooo? Hey, let me in or I'm leaving and you can have your wife mad at you later for not letting me in for the party she wanted the piano tuned for on x date. OH, you must be for real if you know about that! Alright, come on in then. bbbbzzzzzzzzzz. Before I arrived to the front door, he had gotten ahold of his wife on her cell phone only to find out, hey, this guy is for real after all! I'm glad I let you in, he said. My wife was realllllly PISSED off at me on the telephone! I laughed and said, yeah, ME TOO, thanks! To which, he also then laughed!

Hey, guess what I'm doing this week and next? I think..... I just see a phone call came in from a church via caller ID... Bet they want it tuned before Christmas or something... I'm (supposed to be) on vacation until the end of the year! First time in probably 30 years I've been able to do this! YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
P.S. Lucky me! They were calling about a bill that they said was paid but, was never cashed. We chuckled about it. I said, won't be the last time something got lost in the mail...

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Ah, had to come home and fix all the typos in my last post. Posted that while getting a root canal. I've decided to quit tuning and focus on an alternate treatment for root canals. I'll post again when I'm rich..........

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
See you again then in 15 years Bob! grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've chosen the alternative to a root canal twice now. Yank 'em. A few more and I will look like a jack-o-lantern!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Funny Jeff!!!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
And the temporary crown fell out this afternoon! I thought about super gluing it back in place, but decided against it. A google search said use dental adhesive as suggested below, so I'll try that Friday and hopefully save a trip back to the dentist.

Last edited by Bob; 12/24/10 12:14 AM.
B
BDB Offline
B
You should get some denture adhesive and put it back in, so your teeth will not move in to fill the gap. My dentist would expect me to call him at home for something like that. Actually, he would probably call me to make sure everything was okay. (I first went to his father over 50 years ago, and he is in the same place.)

Semipro Tech
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Four pitch raises, but now I'm done till Tuesday. smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And the temporary crown fell out this afternoon!

Sorry Bob but, [Linked Image]

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
You should get some denture adhesive and put it back in, so your teeth will not move in to fill the gap. My dentist would expect me to call him at home for something like that. Actually, he would probably call me to make sure everything was okay. (I first went to his father over 50 years ago, and he is in the same place.)

Sounds like my Dentist, I use to ride my bike to see his Dad in the same office. He reminded me of Andy Griffith.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
And the temporary crown fell out this afternoon!

Sorry Bob but, [Linked Image]

Just for that, Jer, Santa is picking you up and bringing you here to help tune at the U next week. Haa Haa. I did get the darn thing glued back in.......for now......

Page 53 of 106 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission