2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1569049 12/03/10 02:28 AM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I regret to say that for the longest time, I was very ignorant to Cziffra's recordings/interpretations besides the super-virtuoso stuff, like Chopin etudes or his transcriptions... But I was recently very moved by his take on Ravel's Jeux d'Eau and Chopin's B Flat Minor Scherzo Op. 31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIZRDOUQrME (Jeux d'Eau)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIZRDOUQrME (Chopin Scherzo 2)

What are some other Cziffra recordings you recommend that display this kind of musicianship?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
The recording quality is pretty crap but i find this interpretation beautiful. I'm a big Cziffra fan!!

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
M
M
I used to be the opposite. I LOVED Cziffra, and I imported the complete studio recordings and everything. Eventually my tastes changed.

The problem with Cziffra is that for the romantic composers, he basically Cziffrizes everything. It's hard to find a piece by Schumann/Chopin/Liszt that he doesn't play with the exaggerated tempo fluctuations of a Hungarian rhapsody.

I recommend his French Baroque stuff, like Lully and Rameau. Very sensitive, thoughtful interpretations. His Rachmaninov G Minor Prelude is pretty awesome as well.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mr_roberts_z

The problem with Cziffra is that for the romantic composers, he basically Cziffrizes everything. It's hard to find a piece by Schumann/Chopin/Liszt that he doesn't play with the exaggerated tempo fluctuations of a Hungarian rhapsody.

And he exaggerates those! I do like his 4:33.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I do like his 4:33

You don't think he exaggerates that piece? Have you ever "heard" cursing him perform it?

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I used to be the opposite. I LOVED Cziffra, and I imported the complete studio recordings and everything. Eventually my tastes changed.

I recommend his French Baroque stuff, like Lully and Rameau. Very sensitive, thoughtful interpretations. His Rachmaninov G Minor Prelude is pretty awesome as well.

Better than a cold cut typical player today smile

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

The problem with Cziffra is that for the romantic composers, he basically Cziffrizes everything.

One could look at it that way. But like with Virgil Fox on the organ, Cziffra's idiosyncrasies either 'work' for you or they don't.

I've enjoyed most of the Cziffra recordings I've heard (hardly all of them). He is certainly very unique, and always brings something fresh to my listening experience. That said, I wouldn't want to make a steady diet of his recordings!

Jason
M
M
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

Better than a cold cut typical player today smile

Oh, agreed. He's definitely one of the immortals (especially in terms of technique...talk about fingers of steel). There's no lack of personality in his playing, unlike a number of today's top pianists.

M
M
Originally Posted by argerichfan

The problem with Cziffra is that for the romantic composers, he basically Cziffrizes everything.

One could look at it that way. But like with Virgil Fox on the organ, Cziffra's idiosyncrasies either 'work' for you or they don't.

I've enjoyed most of the Cziffra recordings I've heard (hardly all of them). He is certainly very unique, and always brings something fresh to my listening experience. That said, I wouldn't want to make a steady diet of his recordings!

That's a good point. Perhaps I've become disenchanted with Cziffra precisely because I did (at one point). I guess if you listen to him only occasionally (or a small selection of his repertoire) you don't really notice how his Cziffrism kind of seeps through every note (an exception are his Beethoven/Mozart recordings, which are amazingly humble, straightforward, and dare I say, bland).

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission