Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1528462 - 10/05/10 07:12 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
Steve Nixon Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: boogieman52
Hi Bruce and Doug,
thanks for your inputs!

I already use different bass lines, but at the moment my focus is on learning the right hand vocabulary on a steady and familiar left hand bass line.

I didn't know the books suggested by Doug: thanks, I'm going to give them a try in the future.
b-52

Hi Boogieman,
Have you checked out Otis Spann's playing yet? He was and continues to be EXTREMELY influential to so many great blues piano players. Amazing runs, amazing feel, and impeccable swing feel and timing.
I would also check out Johnnie Johnson's boogie playing. Very simple but every note he played was just right.
Both of these guys have been a huge influence on my blues playing and teaching over the years.

Blues Piano Masterclass on DVD
http://www.learnbluespiano.net/

Learn Piano Online
http://www.pianolessonsonline.com

Online Jazz, Blues, & Rock Piano Lessons
http://stevenixonmusic.net/lessons.cfm

Piano & Music Accessories
#1528687 - 10/05/10 02:09 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: Steve Nixon]
boogieman52 Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi Doug,
at Amazon I checked the books by Matthew Ball: they are good, but at the moment I am very busy with Improvising Blues Piano, as you can see... :-)

Hi Steve,
Otis Spann is one of the Blues Piano Players I love the best!
I visited your web site and I like it, but -as I just told Doug- now I am really in IBP and I do not feel like studying new Books or DVDs, even if I find them interesting.

Tonight is Blues For Sal time (pag. 88).
I play it with a left hand shuffle and I find it very easy, because it's the kind of Blues I already play.
So I'm just relaxing and having fun with all those triplets!

#1528903 - 10/05/10 07:09 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi...Steve...Johnny Johnson is a great entertainer..if have a look through the Matthew Ball (Boogiewoogie Kid) Utube video's he has a few excellent blues numbers and one is a famous Otis Spann piece..it is an excellent rendition....and as J.J says... just having fun.....Doug

#1528912 - 10/05/10 07:21 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi b-52.. I have brought the extra books as reference material ...have also just received.. The story of Boggie-Woggie (a left hand like god) very interesting history of Boogie ..where it all started...
Page 88 the triplets these are great for the dexterity of the fingers...they are great for fills just on one chord...have fun....Doug

#1529081 - 10/06/10 12:19 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug,

"I woke up this morning, the triplets all around my bed..." :-)

The Story of Boogie Woogie by Peter Silvester is a great book!
I found it second hand a few years ago, when the first edition was out of print. Now there is a second edition and maybe I'm going to buy it in the future.

Thanks for all your posts!
B-52

#1529155 - 10/06/10 04:06 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
Steve Nixon Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: boogieman52

Hi Steve,
Otis Spann is one of the Blues Piano Players I love the best!
I visited your web site and I like it,

Yes I agree boogieman..Spann was great! Thank you for your kind words as well about my site! Very thoughtful of you. Good luck with your blues studies smile

Blues Piano Masterclass on DVD
http://www.learnbluespiano.net/

Learn Piano Online
http://www.pianolessonsonline.com

Online Jazz, Blues, & Rock Piano Lessons
http://stevenixonmusic.net/lessons.cfm

#1531419 - 10/09/10 02:31 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: Steve Nixon]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Steve, and everybody,

I'm back to my piano and IBP.

After 3 days away from home, my fingers are a little stiff, so today I'm not going to study anything new: just a revision of the Blues I have already learnt and... I have almost forgotten!

#1532078 - 10/10/10 12:50 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: Steve Nixon]
boogieman52 Offline

Ninth Blues (pag. 130) is a nice tune based on the ninth chords.

I have found it quite easy, because it's the kind of Blues I prefer: a solid shuffle and some appealing riffs, with a lot of triplets.

The tornaround and the ending are a little tricky, because I am not used to an open voicing 9th chord approached from a semitone above, but I'm practising quite hard so I hope to play it smoothly in a couple of hours.

The more I study Improvising Blues Piano by Tim Richards, the more I recommend it to everybody who really want to dig deep into the Blues!

#1533302 - 10/11/10 05:46 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi b-52....Had a run through Ninth's Blues...has a great shuffle feel...the thing about this ... it dosent take long to get it happening.......Doug

#1533543 - 10/12/10 01:28 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug,

for the moment at the end of Ninth Blues I have decided to play a turnaround that's more familiar to me.
In this way I can play it smoothly.

Medium Jump (pag. 182) is another tune I'm really enjoying.
It's very close to Jump Shuffle (pag. 53) and I do love both of them.
The second chorus keeps my Right Hand quite busy trying to get that jumping feeling, so I am not able to improvise yet.

Take care.
b-52

#1533662 - 10/12/10 07:16 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi b-52 ... Just being able to string a few riffs from different pieces together ,gives satisfaction....Dont worry about the improvising as it will come in time when you get proficient with riffs that you are stringing together..I even use riffs out of Monday Struggle that I'm learning to make up 12 bar runs....Doug

#1534463 - 10/13/10 08:31 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug and everybody,

After running through some more advanced tunes in C, now I'm back to Beginner's Boogie (pag. 18), the first tricky piece in IBP.

This time the LH Bass Line looks easier and I hope to master this tune before the end of the day.

Tomorrow I'm going to improvise, using riffs out of some other tunes I like.

Well, IBP keeps me busy! :-)

#1534485 - 10/13/10 09:07 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
Bullitt Offline

Loc: Norway
Good to see you enjoying the book. As a self starter this was really the book that made me progress in my playing. Have been away from piano playing for a while and now starting to get back into it. I think I'm a little over halfway through the book. Been jumping a little back and forth. Sometimes I've gone back to earlier pieces to see if I missed something. For me I had enough just learing the songs and get coordinated in the beginning. As I've progressed through the book and my playing improved I started go back to earlier pieces and then try to improvise.

Just order a book called Discovering Rock/Pop piano. It's from the same publisher as IBP, but not by Tim Richards. Just hoping it is as good as IBP.

#1535298 - 10/14/10 11:08 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: Bullitt]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Bullit,

thanks for your post.
I'm sure your coming back to IBP is going to improve your piano playing.

As you says,in the beginning it's enough to learn the songs and get coordinated.
Now I can improvise only over a few tunes, whilst with other tunes I am too much busy to keep togheter the left and the right hand... :-)

#1538498 - 10/19/10 01:04 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

My first tune in the Key of G is Blues With Pick-Ups (pag. 66) and I love it.

The only tricky point is the fingering 2345 in the passage to D6, but practise makes perfect! :-)

After Blues With Pick-Ups I'm going to move to the other tunes in G suggested by Tim Richards in the Appendix V: Developing a Vocabulary.

Regarding the 3 left hand patterns, I'm using only the Barrelhouse LH and the LH Shuffle, because at the moment the Jimmy Yancey style bass line is too difficult for me.

Now let me go back to my piano! :-)

#1539084 - 10/19/10 11:08 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi b-52 ..Have been at P 96 Blues in Thirds..Key G ..it uses the Yancy Special left hand ..it takes time to get the timing right..I use the metronome and count out loud..still just cant sit down and play straight off....but it will help when I attempt to learn the Yancy Special..still need to acquire a proper transcription of the sheet music.....Doug

#1539907 - 10/21/10 02:51 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug,
thank you for supporting my efforts! :-)

Barrelhouse Blues (pag.63) and Blues with Pick-ups (pag.66) are under my belt (at least... I hope so!) and today I'll give a try to Blues in Thirds, but against the Shuffle bass lines.

I do love the Yancey's left hand, but at the moment the coordination LH/RH is too much for me, so I prefer to focus on the right hand against a solid left hand pattern.

I hope you will be able to acquire a good transcription of The Yancey Special.
Good Luck! :-)

#1540004 - 10/21/10 07:26 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi b-52 ..There is a site in Germany that has the correct transcription...but its a bit expensive for me ..its priced at 25 euros and works out to be $35 plus postage to Aust..its 4 times the price Colin Davey transcriptions are..the site is www boogie-online.npage.de..I have a copy but its not a full sheet music and its only 3 pages and not correct...The Yancy left riff takes a little getting use to, as it is a timing thing..I still struggle with it when I start using it...Theres nothing wrong with using the solid Shuffle...I use it a lot when learning something new...can concentrate more on the right hand....keep at it..Doug

#1540172 - 10/21/10 11:51 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug,
thanks for the boogie-on-line link.

I didn't know it: the transcriptions look good, so I do hope to be able to use it in the future! :-)
b-52

#1543352 - 10/25/10 06:11 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi b-52..P96. Blues in Thirds ..have still been playing this to get Yancey Special left hand timing...I have acquired a copy of "Yancey Special" by Meade Lux Lewis May 18, 1942...it has 6 pages 8 chorus..an looking forward to tinkering around with it in the future...Doug

#1545167 - 10/28/10 02:56 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

In the end Blues in Thirds is under my belt! :-)

Now I can play it with the Jimmy Yancey bass line and I do like it.

I have just changed the triplets in measures 9 and 10 with two eight notes, because triplets against that bass lines are a little to difficult.

To me J. Yancey is one of the best Blues Piano players and his tunes give me great emotions.

#1546748 - 10/30/10 04:50 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

I started this new topic because two old topics about IBP were dead and gone.

Anyway, here are the links:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...ite_id/1#import

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1103123/1.html

#1547371 - 10/31/10 02:49 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi boogieman-52..Thanks for posting the links...very intresting...if any body is following the thread from the links ..would love to hear how your doing..its beginners to intermediate that need backup from others at the same stage of playing to help each other with support...Doug

#1548734 - 11/01/10 07:51 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi...Bluebery Hill part 1 ..this is the backing for the melody or a singer.It uses the Yancey Special left hand ..which in its self is not hard to play ..BUT..trying to play it in time smoothly with triads played in triplets..takes a little time to get left hand to stay coordinated with the right vamping at 16 to the bar..once I have played it a couple of times it sinks in..this type of music you have to play every day or it soon leaves the brain and you have to look it up again in the music book..Doug

#1548811 - 11/01/10 09:14 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
WalkFar Offline

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
I am a beginner enjoying working with Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano and I have been reading this thread with interest. I agree with Bruce Siegel in that I I found that Beginner's Boogie (p.18) pretty tough so early one. I have since been moving around a bit more in the book.

PIeces I am spending the most time on now:
Blue Third Blues (p. 22)
Blueberry Hill (p. 28)
On-Off Boogie (p. 37)
Sixth Blues Triplet Feel (p. 50)

Lately I have been trying to mix and match right and left hands and making my first steps toward right-hand improvisation. Question here - What goes through your mind when you are improvising? What is your mindset?

Off topic. Are Tim Richards' Exploring Jazz Piano two volumes as highly regarded as Improvising Blues Piano?

#1548969 - 11/02/10 01:22 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Originally Posted By: dissyfingers
Hi...Bluebery Hill part 1 ..this is the backing for the melody or a singer.It uses the Yancey Special left hand ..which in its self is not hard to play ..BUT..trying to play it in time smoothly with triads played in triplets..takes a little time to get left hand to stay coordinated with the right vamping at 16 to the bar..once I have played it a couple of times it sinks in..this type of music you have to play every day or it soon leaves the brain and you have to look it up again in the music book..Doug

That's the reason why I have not tried Blueberry Hill part 1 yet!
The bass line is not difficult... The triplets are not difficult... But I find the LH and RH veeery difficult!
I do agree with you: one has to play this kind of music each and every day and... be very patient.

#1548987 - 11/02/10 01:50 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Walkfar,
welcome aboard!

Now I'm working the most time on:
Beginner's Boogie (p.18)
Jump Shuffle (p. 53) + Medium Jump (p. 182)
Barrelhouse Blues (p. 63) + Blues With Pick-ups (p. 66)
Blues in Thirds (p. 96)
Ninth Blues (p. 130)

I try to mix and match RH and LH, but I find easier to improvise on a tune I already have under my belt as it's written.

What does go through my mind when I am improvising?
Well, I would say there is a range that goes from:
1) being the good student who tries to think what he has to do and...
2) forgetting everything and just play.
Stage 2 is much more interesting, but sometimes I crash very soon! :-)

Your last question.
Yes, Tim Richards' Exploring Jazz Piano two volumes are highy regarded.
They are very similar to IBP, but are considered a little more difficult (Grade 4 is required, instead of Grade 3).

Anyway, it seems that you can jump here and there as you can in IBP.

I have not bought them because IBP keeps me very busy and furthermore it is considered an introduction to Exploring jazz Piano.

Bye
b-52

#1549054 - 11/02/10 04:30 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi Walkfar..Welcome ..I have found it takes a while for improvisation to set in..I mostly just change certain riffs or melody lines..the best way to start I've found is to mix and rematch riffs and melody lines from other pieces you are learning...most of it is 8 to the bar so most of it will fit...some pieces that have swing probally wont go but it doesn't take much to work this out..When Tim is asking you to improvise you have to remember he is a master and it come naturally to him....it takes many years of playing and listing to other musicians to comprehend whats going on..I would just concentrate on learning whats printed in the book and get to playing it smoothly..
I have the 2 Tim Richards Jazz books as I play a few standards as well..they are very well set out and have a lot of great standards to learn...They are great reference books...Doug

#1549065 - 11/02/10 04:50 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi boogieman52..The great thing about the book is you can jump to anywhere you please..there is no assumed manner of level you have to follow..
Have you watched Luckyluca play Hard stage blues on Utube..he's 15 and the performance was this year in Sweden..Amazing.. he has been uploading to Utube since he was 11 ..you can see his progress..

The Tim Richards Jazz books are used the same way..just jump to where you want to try things out..there easy to follow as well....Doug

#1549377 - 11/02/10 03:00 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
After a couple of false starts with the highly regarded IBP, I'm encouraged to give it another go after following this thread for a while. Patience is my problem!

I was in touch with Tim Richards some weeks ago and he told me that he did not recommend starting with the Jazz books (Not even the first one) until one has mastered the foundation work in IBP - especially if one is only just beginning to learn how to improvise over chord structures. He said to bear in mind that there's a large overlap between Blues and Jazz and that it's kind of artificial to put them in separate categories. That's pretty solid advice I think.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (0987654321, Anticlock, AZNpiano, 14 invisible), 1011 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission