Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1549466 - 11/02/10 04:46 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: dissyfingers
Hi boogieman52..
Have you watched Luckyluca play Hard stage blues on Utube..he's 15 and the performance was this year in Sweden..Amazing.. he has been uploading to Utube since he was 11 ..you can see his progress..

Thanks, Doug.
I already knew Luckyluca99 from German: he's awsome!
Here is the link to his new web site: http://www.piano99.de/home_EN.htm

Piano & Music Accessories
#1549629 - 11/02/10 08:43 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi boogieman52..The interest in boogie and blues piano by young European piano players is amazing..hope it spreads through out the world..a lot of them that play boogie and blues are classically trained..just shows there is more to life than classical music ??

#1549817 - 11/03/10 02:04 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: cruiser]
boogieman52 Offline

Originally Posted By: cruiser
After a couple of false starts with the highly regarded IBP, I'm encouraged to give it another go after following this thread for a while. Patience is my problem!

Hi cruiser,
I'm sure this time is the right time! :-)
And I'm happy that following this thread for a while has given you an input to give another go to this wonderful book.
It would be great to create a large group of students from different parts of the world and share our experiences!
Regards.
b-52

#1549864 - 11/03/10 06:10 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Originally Posted By: boogieman52
After a couple of false starts with the highly regarded IBP, I'm encouraged to give it another go after following this thread for a while. Patience is my problem!

Hi cruiser,
I'm sure this time is the right time! :-)
And I'm happy that following this thread for a while has given you an input to give another go to this wonderful book.
It would be great to create a large group of students from different parts of the world and share our experiences!
Regards.
b-52

Thanks for your encouragement bm52. I'm making a fresh start with IBP today and will post my progress smile

#1550219 - 11/03/10 04:55 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Today is Jimmie Yancey bass line day. :-)

In fact I'm practising Blue Third Blues (p. 22, but transposed from C to G) + Five Fingers Blues (p. 31) + Blues in Thirds (p. 96): all of them played one after the other in the key of G and against the Jimmie Yancey LH.

The three melodies are very easy, but the LH gives them a feeling I do love.

I'm very happy because a couple of weeks ago I found very difficult to coordinate the bouncing LH and the RH triplets in Blue Third Blues, but now everything goes smoothly.

As they say: practice makes perfect! :-))))

#1550276 - 11/03/10 06:01 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've also been working on "Blue Third Blues" today and had the same problem with the triplets against the Yancey bass. Came together after a while though. My improvising isn't very adventurous yet! smile

#1550342 - 11/03/10 06:50 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi boogieman52....cruiser...I have found it take several weeks to get a piece playing smoothly...and if you dont keep playing it ...the smoothness drops of very quickly with this type of music...Blue Third Blues ..are you using a metronome..this will help with the triplets....keep at it as it will be very rewarding when can play it proficiently.....Doug

#1550814 - 11/04/10 01:22 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

..are you using a metronome..this will help with the triplets....keep at it as it will be very rewarding when can play it proficiently.....Doug

You are right, Doug.
A metronome is very helpful with the triplets.

I also find very helpful to study the score and check very carefully each note in the RH triplets against the LH bass line: in other words, I try to train my mind before sitting at the piano.

It may seems silly, but this training, a metronome and tons of patience are the right way to enjoy this wonderful music. :-)
b-52

#1551001 - 11/04/10 06:23 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi boogieman52....Definitaly not silly...Patience is the essence to overcome this music...one must be confident also want play it and have love for it....I always read it through and sing it in my head before playing..When watching experienced players of this music you can see the confidence when playing...they look around and smile at the camera..some of the good younger players have been playing this type for at least 3 years...with other piano training proir to learning blues or boogie....Doug

#1551256 - 11/05/10 01:37 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
boogieman52 Offline

Tim Richards is going to teach at the Jazz Piano Summer School in London.

You may want to check this link: http://www.timrichards.ndo.co.uk/PremisesJazzPianoWeek.html

It's really a pity it's not a Blues School...

I don't know if Tim is going to teach again at the Euro Blues Week (http://www.euroblues.co.uk/index.htm), as he did last year: http://www.euroblues.co.uk/bluesweek2010.htm

#1551315 - 11/05/10 06:34 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Now that's a course I'd love to attend b-52, although my knowledge of the pre-requisite chords (as specified in the link) falls somewhat short! I've got lots of work to do.

From what I've seen, there is a blues element to the course.

My best to all studying IBP!
Mike

#1551335 - 11/05/10 07:46 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: cruiser]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm at the stage where I faltered the last time I attempted IBP.

Trill Blues (page 35) is too much for my weak 5th finger at the moment and so I'll miss this piece out for now whilst continuing to practice the trills.

There is so much memorizing, improvising, mixing and matching etc. to be done that I'm starting to confuse myself again! There's also the "Developing a vocabulary" to bare in mind.

I guess it's a case of persevering at this stage. As I wrote earlier, patience is my problem

I think I'll consolidate what I've learned so far and try to memorize the pieces I've covered whilst giving more effort to transposing into the "basic" keys (C, G, F, D) and spend more time improvising.

#1551341 - 11/05/10 08:05 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Out of interest, here's a video of a friend of mine playing a great Boogie Woogie version of "Just a closer walk with thee" (There's a version in IBP). He started playing about 3 years ago, can't read music and doesn't have an extensive knowledge of harmony. He's learned everything from YouTube videos that he's downloaded and slowed down in order to copy what he sees. In the meantime he's built a great vocabulary of licks and chord accompaniments and he's a great improviser.

#1551348 - 11/05/10 08:17 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi...Mike...Dont try to do to much as it will fry your brain...keep down to a couple and try and get them smooth first..I was trying to much to start with and it stops you from progressing ..when you are only doing a couple of pieces you are more likely to get your coordination with left and right keeping in time with each other..just play it really slow and in the next few days you will find you will automatically start playing it a bit quicker ..use the CD ..listen to the piece over and over..if your CD played has a loop timer for tracks use it so you dont have to recall the track ..The thing about this music is.. it must be in your head...Keep at it ..Doug

#1551355 - 11/05/10 08:37 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement Doug. I'm determined not to give up this time!

I think "this music must be in your head" is particularly important. As someone who's "come over" from the classics, I need to develop a freedom and ability to "play in the moment". That reminds me, I must dig out Kenny Werner's excellent book "Effortless Mastery".

Today I'm working on "On-off Boogie" with that great new lick (or turn-around?) in bar 10.

Mike

#1551420 - 11/05/10 10:49 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Mike...Dont try to do to much as it will fry your brain...keep down to a couple and try and get them smooth first..(...) when you are only doing a couple of pieces you are more likely to get your coordination with left and right keeping in time with each other..just play it really slow and in the next few days you will find you will automatically start playing it a bit quicker ..(...) The thing about this music is.. it must be in your head...Keep at it ..Doug

I do agree.
A book like IBP has so many tunes, assignements, tips etc. that at the beginning I was tempted to do everything in a short time... :-)

Then I learned to take my time and slow down.
So now I love to pick up a tune and patiently work on it, just for the pleasure to hear a certain line, improvise a couple of bars and so on.

Today I'm back to Barrelhouse Blues, improvising as suggested by Tim Richards, throwing some lines from other Blues and...let's see what happens! :-)

b52

#1551434 - 11/05/10 11:18 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: cruiser]
boogieman52 Offline

Out of interest, here's a video of a friend of mine playing a great Boogie Woogie version of "Just a closer walk with thee" (There's a version in IBP). He started playing about 3 years ago, can't read music and doesn't have an extensive knowledge of harmony. He's learned everything from YouTube videos that he's downloaded and slowed down in order to copy what he sees. In the meantime he's built a great vocabulary of licks and chord accompaniments and he's a great improviser.

Great video. Thanks for sharing!
Your friend has the right feeling to play Blues and Boogie Woogie.
Bravo!!!

#1551846 - 11/06/10 01:32 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Have you watched Luckyluca play Hard stage blues on Utube..he's 15 and the performance was this year in Sweden..Amazing.. he has been uploading to Utube since he was 11 ..you can see his progress..Doug

Hi Doug, in my Blog Boogieworld (in Italian... sorry... :-))) I have embedded a couple of Luckyluca/Luca Sestak's Videos.
You may want to check this link: http://boogieworld.myblog.it/

The first time I saw him on You tube I was very impressed and since then he has improved a lot.
I hope to see him live, here in Europe.

A nice weekend to everybody! :-)

#1551936 - 11/06/10 05:14 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi boogieman52..I have been to your site already..looks like you and you partner have a great time around the dances..I was doing the same 10 years ago...I'm still into Rockabilly ..played lead guitar in bands for years....tend to slow down a bit as you get older......Doug

#1552726 - 11/07/10 07:29 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi b-52 and Doug (And anyone else following IBP).

How about we try linking to some recordings of our efforts so far (on Box.net or similar)? This might give our progress added impetus as well as perhaps focusing our efforts more. Doesn't have to be anything fancy at this stage! What do you think?
Mike

#1552730 - 11/07/10 07:49 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: cruiser]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi b-52 and Doug (And anyone else following IBP).How about we try linking to some recordings of our efforts so far (on Box.net or similar)? This might give our progress added impetus as well as perhaps focusing our efforts more. Doesn't have to be anything fancy at this stage! What do you think?
Mike

Hi Mike/cruiser,
great idea!

How can it be organized?
B-52

Edited by boogieman52 (11/07/10 07:57 AM)

#1552731 - 11/07/10 07:54 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi boogieman52..I have been to your site already..looks like you and you partner have a great time around the dances..I was doing the same 10 years ago...I'm still into Rockabilly ..played lead guitar in bands for years....tend to slow down a bit as you get older......Doug

Hi doug,
thank you for visiting my site.

Yes, my wife and I have a great time dancing to the kind of Music I (would...) like to play.... :-)

Go back to the dancefloor... it's so exciting to be there... among other dancers... a good band on the stage!

In the beginning Boogie Woogie was music for dancers and every time we go to the dance floor we keep alive that tradition!
b-52

#1552875 - 11/07/10 11:59 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
WalkFar Offline

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
Thanks for posting the link to your site, which includes the YouTube video of the Luca Sestak version of Boogie Woogie Stomp. I believe that this is a variation of Pinetop's Boogie Woogie.

This brings me back to my favorite version of Pinetop's Boogie Woogie, by LIttle Brother Montgomery. A 1966 TV broadcast can be seen on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-gfv8oWdY (Little Brother Montgomery - Pinetops Boogie. (1966)) It can also be heard on the Smithsonian Folkways CD "Classic Piano Blues." This version seems a bit slower than than most versions. I love watching LIttle Brother Montgomery playing.

Edited by WalkFar (11/07/10 11:59 AM)

#1552904 - 11/07/10 12:55 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: boogieman52
Hi b-52 and Doug (And anyone else following IBP).How about we try linking to some recordings of our efforts so far (on Box.net or similar)? This might give our progress added impetus as well as perhaps focusing our efforts more. Doesn't have to be anything fancy at this stage! What do you think?
Mike

Hi Mike/cruiser,
great idea!

How can it be organized?B-52

Well b-52, I wasn't thinking of anything really structured other than to suggest that we post something which represents our current level of achievement, no matter how "basic".

As for myself, I intend to work through the book as methodically as I can and, although I'm "dipping my toes" into later chapters, I really want to internalize (To use Tim's own word) as much as possible from each chapter in sequence. I firmly believe that this approach will be of most benefit in building a solid foundation in Blues, Boogie and Jazz. As Tim also says, this doesn't mean that we have to master every piece in each chapter before progressing. However I believe it's important to have a good grip of the harmonic and other theoretical principles (Not to mention the improvisation practice!) in each chapter before moving on. A quick glance at some of the work to come will will confirm the need for this, I think. The theory at each level can be practiced with the easier pieces in each chapter of course, returning later to the more difficult work.

Although I've got to the end of chapter 1, I'm by no means satisfied that I've "internalized" as much as I need to before progressing to chapter 2. I particularly want to spend more time transposing and improvising before moving on. The tools at our disposal in chapter 1 are of necessity limited, but it doesn't matter - let's just do the best we can and encourage each other. As we progress, and our armoury get's stronger, I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised by our progress.

I suggest that we post something from each chapter in turn, but this of course is only a suggestion. Anyone can post anything they like, or nothing at all - that's o.k. too smile I'll try and post something within the next day or so.

There's plenty of information elsewhere in the forums on how to record and upload mp3 files to hosting sites, if anyone is unfamiliar with the process.

I'm currently studying "Blues for Booker" - tricky! I don't think I'll be recording this piece for a while!

Mike

#1553104 - 11/07/10 05:23 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi Mike...I had been thinking along the same line and had created an account with Box last week...just a matter of setting up a piece of software to record in mp3 from the piano...If you do post your level of effort so far... be aware there are people out there, that have no idea what effort you might have put in to be able to play the piece even at the lowest level..criticism is good and it can also be very harmful for the student to continue with their studies...if you not comfortable posting.. then PM your work to someone who is active on the thread who you would feel would be objective ..to me any effort is worth complements and support.....Doug

#1553118 - 11/07/10 05:33 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi Walkfar...There are a lot of great exponents of blues a nd boogie on Utube...one I like is Matthew Ball (boogiewoogiekid) he plays at a very measured speed you can hear clean notes...well worth a view..Doug

#1553120 - 11/07/10 05:36 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi boogieman52 ... Theres no doubt that boogie is a great form of music to dance to...great for fitness as well..Doug

#1553379 - 11/08/10 01:02 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: WalkFar]
boogieman52 Offline

[quote=WalkFar]This brings me back to my favorite version of Pinetop's Boogie Woogie, by LIttle Brother Montgomery. (...) It can also be heard on the Smithsonian Folkways CD "Classic Piano Blues." This version seems a bit slower than most versions. /quote]

Hi Walkfar!
What a coincidence: Classic Piano Blues -one of my favourite CDs- is in my CD player right now. I love those BWs played slower than they are played nowadays.

You are right about Boogie Woogie Stomp: it is the Pinetop's Boogie Woogie version by Albert Ammons, who added some more choruses.

This week I'm going to start Pinetop's Boogie Woogie (p.150: at the moment my major goal! :-)
b-52

Edited by boogieman52 (11/08/10 04:20 AM)

#1553398 - 11/08/10 02:06 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Mike...I had been thinking along the same line and had created an account with Box last week...just a matter of setting up a piece of software to record in mp3 from the piano...If you do post your level of effort so far... be aware there are people out there, that have no idea what effort you might have put in to be able to play the piece even at the lowest level..criticism is good and it can also be very harmful for the student to continue with their studies...if you not comfortable posting.. then PM your work to someone who is active on the thread who you would feel would be objective ..to me any effort is worth complements and support.....Doug

Hi Doug and thanks for your comments. I agree with you 100%. Maybe, as you suggest, it would be better to send each other our recordings via PM. On the other hand, we can continue as we are right now and post something in the member's recordings forum, when we've completed the book smile

#1553416 - 11/08/10 03:29 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: cruiser]
boogieman52 Offline

Hi Doug and thanks for your comments. I agree with you 100%. Maybe, as you suggest, it would be better to send each other our recordings via PM. On the other hand, we can continue as we are right now and post something in the member's recordings forum, when we've completed the book smile

Hi Doug and Mike.
I do agree with both of you.
Probably in this early stage it's better to keep our sharing a little more intimate... :-)
b-52

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
165 registered (Allard, accordeur, aesop, ajames, Almaviva, 53 invisible), 1828 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156837 Topics
2304500 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
For Sale: PE-2 PIANO PEDAL EXTENDER
by TakomaRose
08/21/14 02:04 PM
How is this possible?
by kaanguner
08/21/14 02:03 PM
Questions About Piano Magic for Sheet Music Readers
by newbert
08/21/14 01:51 PM
Hammers and action parts selection for Mason and Hamlin
by Lyra
08/21/14 12:46 PM
Looking for SoCal retailers to try an RD-800 or MP7
by Delphian2001
08/21/14 12:19 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission