Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1761304 - 09/28/11 07:47 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
What a great kid! Does he also swing ACDC? wink

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

Piano & Music Accessories
#1788921 - 11/14/11 04:38 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Tim Richards IBS students..I was looking for a simple turnaround pickup on some of my boogie pieces...they get a bit stale playing the same old thing...found a good one on P 68 A Pete Johnson style..Its used in the Blues with pick-ups P 66 ..Having a new lick is like learning a new piece.......Doug

#1808233 - 12/18/11 05:09 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...there are some good work outs in slow blues using a walking bass line..the easy way is to use chord notes and what I like is the using scale lines...you need a little knowlege of scales major and minor...have a look at Medium Jump #57 p.182 and Bags Groove #51 p.153 have fun......Doug

#1808235 - 12/18/11 05:14 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Got to admire your tenacity Doug. I admit i lost interest in the book before finishing it.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1808247 - 12/18/11 05:35 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi T.L.thumbs...I dont play blues every day ...but there is different types of blues and boogie...I like all types of music...there are a lot of novice blues players that need a little push along to learn some thing different..there are a lot of people try blues and boogie and can never play it and just drop it..its simple 12 bar blues... sometimes not that easy....its a sense of rhythm and syncopation..so if I post every few weeks maybe a few will open the book and have a try and might find something that they can get through......Doug

#1811925 - 12/24/11 04:32 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...I wish every one that follows this thread a Merry Christmas....Doug

#1811935 - 12/24/11 05:10 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Now don't go having a blue Christmas! D

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1816584 - 01/01/12 06:21 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...Happy New Year....This will be your year to learn 5 new riffs for your improvisation 12 bar blues bash.....Doug

#1818534 - 01/04/12 05:02 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students.....Wow!!!!! I cant believe this thread has had 40000 hits...there are a lot who must like playing blues and boogie ..dont be shy..tell us how your progessing and ask some questions.....Doug

#1829494 - 01/22/12 05:01 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
checki85 Offline

Dear Tim Richards fans,

if you are interested in improvising to Tim Richards' bass lines, join me on my project on http://improvisingpiano.blogspot.com/ .
It would be great to share our ideas!

Andreas

#1850548 - 02/24/12 04:01 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
checki85 Offline

Hi Tim Richards fans, as I can see you are as pleased about this book as I am smile
I've started a blog on the improvisation tasks in Improvising Blues Piano and I invite you to join in!
http://improvisingpiano.blogspot.com/

#1856656 - 03/05/12 03:44 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
You know, I first hear about Tim Richards here at Piano World, and I reluctantly started exploring his many many GREAT blues and jazz books. AND . . . his "Improvising Blues Piano" became a huge blessing "especially" to my male students. Here's just one of the jazz songs from his "Jazz" series. He ENCOURAGES improvising. Which is part of a huge undertaking. But I can only say Thank you to Tim Richards for the many great riffs and ideas he put in these books. Again, these books were a GOD send for my students. . . and for me!

Just a note, that I used a series of other books, but these pieces from Tim Richards "blues" and "jazz" really had the sound that made it real.

So I will be forever grateful to Tim Richards and the work that HE put into these books. Sincerely! Words just can't express how much these books have made a difference. What can I add, . . . Maybe just this video. Called "Funky-Two Five" this is from Tim's Exploring JAZZ Piano! Volumn 1.

Edited by Diane... (03/05/12 04:14 PM)

#1856705 - 03/05/12 05:20 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi Diane...Thanks for posting....and I thank Tim Richards for the 3 paino tutors.... Improvising Blue Piano ...Exploring Jazz Piano #1....Exploring Jazz Piano #2..these are great referance books to learn Blues and Jazz ...its is up the student, how far one needs to progress... there are all levels of learning material...Any body wanting to purchase these books should shop around,there can be large differance in price...Doug

#1868400 - 03/25/12 07:37 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
samdulmage Offline

Hi everyone! Just found this forum. Very cool. I've been working with IBP for 2-3 years now and it's absolutely fantastic. I've probably played 10% of it, but it just keeps being rewarding. I only clued in a month or two back that it came with a CD and that listening to the CD might help me with the phrasing instead of trying to tap out all those syncopations and tied notes!

#1868447 - 03/25/12 09:12 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: Diane...]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
nice ... I like funky

#1868752 - 03/26/12 01:20 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
JerryG Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
I looked on the Amazon site for the Jazz piano vol 1 and it did not say that it comes with a CD. It says that vol 2 comes with one.

Did anyone order the book from Amazon and did it come with the CD?

#1869374 - 03/27/12 05:59 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi JerryG......The jazz paino 1 has a DVD with it....Doug

#1869417 - 03/27/12 07:58 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: JerryG]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Originally Posted By: JerryG
I looked on the Amazon site for the Jazz piano vol 1 and it did not say that it comes with a CD. It says that vol 2 comes with one.

Did anyone order the book from Amazon and did it come with the CD?

I have both "Exploring Jazz Piano Volume 1 & 2" and each volume comes with it's own CD! Each book (with it's own CD) cost me a total of $100 total for both books! CD came with each Volume!

#1869987 - 03/28/12 08:58 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi... Tim Richards IBS students...St Louis Blues P.200....#61....I just love this piece ... the chord progression has a great feel to it ..played in the Tango rhythm swings it along..... I also play this on 8 string lap steel tuned to C6.....Doug

#1870137 - 03/29/12 04:56 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: dissyfingers]
pbluesman Offline

Hi Doug,

Haven't posted in here for a while. I'm learning St Louis Blues at the moment. Great piece, I like the arrangement in the book because the three sections all have distinct feels to them and it makes it interesting to listen to and improvise over.

As a side note I'm currently studying on a short course at Leeds College of Music led by Tim Richards, there's a beginner to intermediate course and an intermediate to advanced course which is the one I'm taking. Its actually the last class this week (only 4 weeks long).

If anybody gets the chance to study with Tim I would really recommend it. He's made me more aware of what I'm playing and has picked me up on a few bad habits. It also given me the push I needed to finally finish off the IBP book nearly two years after I first started it.

I just need to find time to start looking at Exploring Jazz Piano 1 now and start the whole cycle again!

#1870637 - 03/29/12 07:46 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
dissyfingers Offline

Hi pbluesman...Hi ...Its great that you are enjoying your TRB...St Louis Blues..I agree with you,the arrangement is very good ....Must be great that you have attended Tims short course...its a bit far for me to get there..sometimes it doesn't take much to get back on the course you were pursueing...blues and boogie doesn't have to be reppetious...just need a goal to achive...I would rather play 5 pieces well than 100 badly

#1891593 - 05/05/12 09:01 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
checki85 Offline

Hi there, I would be grateful if you joined my Improvising Piano project!
Thanks! smile

#1891812 - 05/05/12 04:52 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
checki85 Offline

I've been working with Improvising Blues Piano for two years now and I'm fairly enthusiastic about it. It's motivated me beyond my own expectations and I've even started a blog on it: http://improvisingpiano.blogspot.de/

Its aim is to carry out one improvisation for every song in the book, just as Tim Richards always suggests in the 'Assignments' boxes. At the moment, I'm still looking for people eager to join me in my quest. Don't hesitate to contact me, I'm no piano-superpower! laugh

#2052511 - 03/22/13 02:22 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
bubba-az Offline

Hi All:

It looks like this thread came to an end, but i'm glad I found it. I read through it start to finish.

I picked up IBP about two months ago, still working on Chapter One. I'm trying to be able to play all pieces well before moving on to the next chapter. I'm trying to go through this in a disciplined way. I don't really want to be a blues player, but a jazz player, and I know there is much benefit starting with this book including theory and application of blues piano. I know it definitely will lead into many advantages when I move on to jazz piano book 2.

I had taught myself to play Thompson's classical through year four...sheet reading mainly. that was in my twenties, now I'm 47.

I took jazz lessons for about 1 year, and learned a bunch of theory. learned how to play from lead sheets, basic closed and open position chords, tritone sub. but didn't learn improvisation, blues, or how to use extensions.

I'm frustrated because I feel so far away from being able to develop the playing that I'd like to do. I don't expect to be a master. But I would like to be able to play standards competently, with some improve, and with jazz voicings and extensions that make it sound great.

IBP is a great book so far. The theory is all a refresher for me so far. But it's the LH and RH patterns that are new. I don't want to be a boogie woogie pianist, but appreciate the rhythms.

I am currently unemployed, been out of work for a year. I just got a piano donated to me and picked up these two books (IBP and EJP).

If there's anyone who gets this post, I'd be curious how the book ended up benefiting you. Did anyone make it through cover to cover? Does this pathway really get you far down the road to playing competently?

Or is it better to go the route of PlayWithWillie.com or something like that?

My problem is that I don't want to take shortcuts, nor do I want to be a serious student. I'm a hobbyist. I want to be able to play competently, and I just don't want to waste my time on a path that doesn't lead me towards where I want to go.

I wish I could afford a teacher again. but I'm hoping this book helps me build the competence to play in a non-embarrassing way. Perhaps even one day having the chops to walk up to an open piano in a restaurant or hospital and play pleasingly for those around me. Maybe a restaurant player. Who knows.

So I'd love to hear from anyone who may still be around. Maybe rejuvenate this thread and study of IBP and EJP.

PS. I know from years of practice one can get better at things. I'm an oil painter, that's what I practice. you can check out my paintings, robertbrittonjr.blogspot.com but I'm not exactly where I want to be as an artist.

I also believe God has given us certain talents and it's up to us to apply regimented practice and pursuit to develop those gifts. So for me, Painting and PIano are two gifts i'm so grateful for, but my piano skills are really a ways off from where I want to be.

Thanks for listening, and love to hear from you.

#2054031 - 03/25/13 01:50 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
ado Offline

Loc: france
Excellent book ,I'had it for years still come back to it time from time although now I play mostly jazz,
it does give you lot of info to start with and once you get the left hand going ,life gets exciting.

Edited by ado (03/25/13 01:50 PM)

#2054077 - 03/25/13 03:15 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
bubba-az Offline

Hi Ado:

Did you progress start to finish through the book? Any recommendations on how best to use it?

I think it's a pretty good book so far, and there's some interesting patterns and knowledge in there. But much of the stuff, I'll never really apply at all like Shuffle, Boogie Woogie for example. Yes, they are cool tunes and patterns to learn.

But like I said above, I'm trying to get from where I am now...probably past beginner but at intermediate, up to being proficient in playing Jazz standards.

I do like the book's emphasis on improvisation right from the beginning.

But I'm not sure I've ever encountered anyone who went through the book and it's benefits. seems like it's got some useful stuff in it though.

I wonder what the main stream Jazz learning resources are in terms of hands on or self-instruction books for learning jazz?

I'll probably take a peak at the EJB I bought along with this one. Tim seems to suggest to first learn the IBP before moving onward to EJB.

I'm also debating sites like PlayWithWillie.com for learning jazz.

Thoughts? How do you approach your learning of jazz? Recommendations?

#2054103 - 03/25/13 04:22 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
Kbeaumont Online   content

Loc: Virginia, USA
This is really only the first in a series of books by Tim Richards
Exploring Jazz Piano Vol. 1
Exploring Jazz Piano Vol. 2

I would also recommend: Mel Bay presents: Jazz Piano DVD Real Book

#2054383 - 03/26/13 04:12 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
ado Offline

Loc: france
I take method books as an extra info on certain subject I wanna learn ,in this case it was piano blues.
I found there a lot of interestion stuff that I used and use but also other that I don't,but it's good to by familiar with them.
I went through book completly but excercises I did't like I didn't do ,also I did a lot of research outside
and lots of other excercises which are not in the book.
Blues piano is a wast subject and IPB to me was a great introduction to that world .
Don't know much about EJP as I went with Mark Levin's jazz piano book afterwards.

#2098464 - 06/08/13 03:59 AM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
samdulmage Offline

bubba-az: I find it very useful to just work my way through it at random as mood and skill dictate, returning to various pieces again.

For anyone that's interested I just posted a recording of "How Long Blues" - Tim's arrangement followed by a few verses of vocal and a bit of improv.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-dulmage/how-long-blues-in-eb

#2098780 - 06/08/13 07:56 PM Re: Tim Richards: Improvising Blues Piano [Re: boogieman52]
bubba-az Offline

PRetty good, my friend! Listening to it now and enjoying it! Great job!

I like your vocals as well! Nicely done!

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
10/30/14 11:06 AM
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
10/30/14 10:46 AM
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
10/30/14 10:03 AM
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
10/30/14 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
10/30/14 09:13 AM
Who's Online
134 registered (AnimistFvR, Alan_Dublin, ajames, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1657 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329567 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission