Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1571146 - 12/06/10 08:55 AM Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements?
goodkeys Offline

Hey everybody

I'm a classical trained pianist and like to play some cocktail-music from time to time. However I found it hard to find good advanced arrangements of tunes like As time goes by (Casablanca), Autumn leaves, Misty etc. What are your favorite arrangements of those (and similar)? Is there any particular arranger you can recommend for intermediate-advanced jazz/cocktail-arrangements?

Piano & Music Accessories
#1571165 - 12/06/10 09:32 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Sorry, but no. I make it up as I play. You could approach these ballads as a piece by Chopin or Schumann, Mendelssohn, etc.
One thing I do recommend (and that is if you don't know how to) is to learn to read chord charts (or Fake Book/Real Book charts).
You've had classical training which means you know a lot of different accompaniment styles (and of course arpeggios/scales) already. "All" you have to do is get your technique to work within the chord chart realm.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1571200 - 12/06/10 10:47 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
Playagain Offline

HI, Goodkeys,

A good series of books for intermediate/advanced piano solos of classic "American Songbook" type songs is the Steinway Library series. The name of the first volume is "Steinway & Sons Vol. 1: Piano Stylings of the Great Standards." There are 6 volumes in that set, and there are other volumes as well (Jazz, Christmas, etc).

The family of Cy Walter has made his arrangements of classic songs available to the public on their website:
http://www.cywalter.com/ "Embraceable You," "Moon River," "Begin the Beguine," and "Isn't it Romantic?" are there as well as many more. Some of these look pretty advanced to me.

George Shearing has a book of his piano solos of these classic songs available called "George Shearing Interpretations for Piano" (Deluxe Edition).

Roger Williams has an advanced piano solo of "Autumn Leaves" still available.

I think the ones I mentioned are all available at Sheet Music Plus online and probably lots of other sources. Let me know if you have any questions! Have fun!
Kathy

#1571212 - 12/06/10 10:58 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
Playagain Offline

Goodkeys,

"Misty" by Erroll Garner is also available in his piano solo arrangement, which is more advanced than the song version, which is also very pretty.

The piano solo version is available here:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Misty/1306040

I hope it's okay to list a source because I don't think the piano solo version is very easy to find otherwise.

Kathy

#1571350 - 12/06/10 02:41 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
Ken. Offline

Here is a site with lots of transcriptions/arrangements for upper intermediate to advanced players

#1571385 - 12/06/10 03:21 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The World's Best Piano Arrangements has complete written out "pro" level arrangements of many favorites, including several George Shearing renditions.

Complete Advanced Piano Solos by Dan Coates has similar pro-style, written out arrangements of favorites. A complete arrangement of As Time Goes By is in there.

#1571415 - 12/06/10 04:04 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: chrisbell]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Originally Posted By: chrisbell
Sorry, but no. I make it up as I play. You could approach these ballads as a piece by Chopin or Schumann, Mendelssohn, etc.
One thing I do recommend (and that is if you don't know how to) is to learn to read chord charts (or Fake Book/Real Book charts).
You've had classical training which means you know a lot of different accompaniment styles (and of course arpeggios/scales) already. "All" you have to do is get your technique to work within the chord chart realm.

+1 ...the perfect answer!

#1571598 - 12/06/10 09:08 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: cruiser]
Dror Perl Offline

Loc: NY
Hi Playagain

Originally Posted By: Playagain
The family of Cy Walter has made his arrangements of classic songs available to the public on their website:
http://www.cywalter.com/ "Embraceable You," "Moon River," "Begin the Beguine," and "Isn't it Romantic?" are there as well as many more. Some of these look pretty advanced to me.

Thanks for sharing this...its a great website, with so much great music !

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

#1571622 - 12/06/10 09:55 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

Edited by pianoloverus (12/06/10 10:12 PM)

#1571699 - 12/07/10 01:00 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: Dror Perl]
Playagain Offline

You're welcome, Dror Perl! It is so nice that the family is sharing his music!
Kathy

#1571707 - 12/07/10 01:15 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I play and teach cocktail piano style music and "borrow" a lot of my techniques from Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy, etc. smile

#1571739 - 12/07/10 03:48 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
goodkeys Offline

Thanks for all the contributions, some great pointers here. There's a lot to try out now smile But feel free to add more of your favorites, especially arrangements of Autumn leaves as I personally don't like Roger Williams version

#1572437 - 12/08/10 02:36 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay, here's my Autumn Leaves recording (cocktail piano style): I'm using a left-hand Chopin Etude pattern at times - which one?
Answer: Revolutionary Etude smile

Edited by Elssa (12/09/10 12:09 AM)

#1572973 - 12/08/10 09:28 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: goodkeys
I'm a classical trained pianist and like to play some cocktail-music from time to time. However I found it hard to find good advanced arrangements of tunes like As time goes by (Casablanca), Autumn leaves, Misty etc. What are your favorite arrangements of those (and similar)? Is there any particular arranger you can recommend for intermediate-advanced jazz/cocktail-arrangements?

I've struggled with this dilemma also. Basically, I've gotten tired of looking for good arrangements, and have decided to better understand the "grammar" of music so that I can improvise and make my own arrangements. This way, I'm less limited, and will spend my time in musical endeavors rather than searching for charts.

That said, here are some thoughts about good advanced arrangements.

The Steinway series on Stylings (mentioned already) has some really great arrangements. They are pretty advanced. Almost all of the songbooks of Hal Leonard arrangements are pretty lame, although I do like the arrangment for "Misty" and for "The Christmas Song" (in several songbooks by Hal Leonard). I've also seen some arrangements by Dan Coates that are pretty good also (he has a series of books for Advanced players).

These are the best that I have found, after much looking. But frankly, I still think that learning structure and other musical details (which you may have already mastered) will yield much better results by then making your own arrangements. For example, when I think of Autumn Leaves, I can't help thinking of Roger Williams. But if you play it with a Latin beat, it comes alive.

Cheers,

Hop

#1573053 - 12/09/10 12:21 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: Hop]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's the great thing about a true classic like Autumn Leaves, you can play it as a ballad or as jazz/swing with a walking bass, and it always sounds good: smile

AUTUMN LEAVES

Edited by Elssa (12/09/10 12:24 AM)

#1573314 - 12/09/10 12:01 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: Hop]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Hop
I've struggled with this dilemma also. Basically, I've gotten tired of looking for good arrangements, and have decided to better understand the "grammar" of music so that I can improvise and make my own arrangements. This way, I'm less limited, and will spend my time in musical endeavors rather than searching for charts.

That said, here are some thoughts about good advanced arrangements.

The Steinway series on Stylings (mentioned already) has some really great arrangements. They are pretty advanced. Almost all of the songbooks of Hal Leonard arrangements are pretty lame, although I do like the arrangment for "Misty" and for "The Christmas Song" (in several songbooks by Hal Leonard). I've also seen some arrangements by Dan Coates that are pretty good also (he has a series of books for Advanced players).

These are the best that I have found, after much looking. But frankly, I still think that learning structure and other musical details (which you may have already mastered) will yield much better results by then making your own arrangements. For example, when I think of Autumn Leaves, I can't help thinking of Roger Williams. But if you play it with a Latin beat, it comes alive.

Cheers,

Hop
I think you weren't aware of everything out there, much of of it for free. What I posted is just the tip of the iceberg. Just for Bill Evans alone there might be as many as 20 volumes available with his stuff.

Besides what I posted:

Tons of Art Tatum transciptions(meaning note for note from his performances)
Tones of Fats Waller
Many books with George Shearing arrangements
Harlem Stride Piano(collection with Johnson, Waller, etc)
Several books by Marian McPartland
The Gershwin Songbook(18 songs arranged by Gershwin)
At last two other volumes with note for note lengthier transcriptions of Gershwin playing his osngs
Tons of Ennio Morricone note for note transcriptions
Tons of Oscar Peterson transcriptions

Just another tip of the iceberg and almost all much more advanced than the Steinway collections.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/09/10 12:02 PM)

#1573426 - 12/09/10 03:37 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: pianoloverus]
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hudson, FL
Transcriptions are Ok, and in fact I have a few. However, if I wanted to play note-for-note piano I'd probably study Mozart sonatas or Chopin, etc. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not for me.

Hop

#1573443 - 12/09/10 04:13 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: Hop]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Hop
Transcriptions are Ok, and in fact I have a few. However, if I wanted to play note-for-note piano I'd probably study Mozart sonatas or Chopin, etc. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not for me.

Hop
My point was you said you got tired of looking for good arrangements, but there really are a tremendous number of them.

#1573543 - 12/09/10 07:32 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: goodkeys]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
very nice Ellsa!

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1583706 - 12/25/10 05:07 AM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: pianoloverus]
andjazz Offline

That's interesting that there are 'tons' of Oscar Peterson transcriptions available for free. Including all the other artists you mentioned, where are these transcriptions? I aware of about six different Oscar Peterson books which are availbale for free on the internet; in fact the same six books have multipied into hundreds of different copies. But none of them are really satisfactory. His jazz excercise books are fundamentally a waste of time. Even the Hal Leonard artis transcription books don't really contain all his best solos. Peterson actually didn't have a choice over which ones whiich were published, and some of the transcriptions contain errors. I've even seen Oscar Peterson transcriptions only published in Japan and not available in the US. Several years ago there was a Russian company that published some of his transcriptions which were actually worth while learning. That book however is near impossible to obtain. So exactly what is available of Oscar Peterson? And what have you posted?

#1583843 - 12/25/10 02:11 PM Re: Good advanced cocktail/jazz-arrangements? [Re: andjazz]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: andjazz
That's interesting that there are 'tons' of Oscar Peterson transcriptions available for free. Including all the other artists you mentioned, where are these transcriptions? I aware of about six different Oscar Peterson books which are availbale for free on the internet; in fact the same six books have multipied into hundreds of different copies. But none of them are really satisfactory. His jazz excercise books are fundamentally a waste of time. Even the Hal Leonard artis transcription books don't really contain all his best solos. Peterson actually didn't have a choice over which ones whiich were published, and some of the transcriptions contain errors. I've even seen Oscar Peterson transcriptions only published in Japan and not available in the US. Several years ago there was a Russian company that published some of his transcriptions which were actually worth while learning. That book however is near impossible to obtain. So exactly what is available of Oscar Peterson? And what have you posted?
If six books aren't enough for you or you don't like those transcriptions then I guess you won't be satisfied.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (0987654321, Anticlock, AZNpiano, 14 invisible), 1015 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission