2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I'm on the fence between these two pianos. Both are made right around 1990, and both are in good shape, except for one big issue, the strings on the GS are coming from a home near the beach and the strings look a bit rusted - although they sound fine (can I keep playing on them if they sound OK or is it better to re-string right away?). The prices are $4200 for the KG-1E and $7500 for the GS-60. Part of me says save the $3000+ since the KG sounds OK, but the other part says buy the GS and I won't have to "upgrade" in the future. Any thoughts about these pianos and about the prices? Thanks.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
what size are these pianos?

Jack in TN

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)
J
OP Offline
J
The KG-1E is 5'4" and the GS-60 is 6'9"

V
V
I had a grand from a humid climate that showed some rust on the strings. The rust came off easily with a soft cloth and didn't come back after being moved to a slightly drier climate, and techs saw no issues with the strings since. So rust does not necessarily mean restringing if it's not deep.

If you have the space for the 6'9 and it's within your means, I'd say go for it if it checks out ok by a tech, rather than settle for the short piano that you think you can live with for now.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well the GS60 is of course the superior piano. It is not just longer. It is a better quality instrument. Better hammers,harp ,construction,action parts,hardware etc.
If the strings are HEAVILY rusted you can bet the hammers, action felts are hard and the piano hardware is rusted as well. Rust accelerates the metalurgical breakdown in a piano. One can only clean the surface rust on the strings not the undersde or inside the agraffes etc. so....one can play it till the steel strings start breaking or the wound bass strings start dying.

Both Yamaha and Kawai both use less than #1 tuning pins originally so the pinblock is usually saveable first time around as for restringing. Have a tech assess the condition of the strings. If the steel strings have already started to break, that is an indication of breakage in the near future.

The piano is really not THAT old so when that time comes, new oversized pins,strings, bass strings, damper felt,understring felt won't be too costly. Actually this can be done in your living room. wink

Last edited by pianobroker; 12/07/10 06:41 AM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Being that there's no other issues but some rust on the strings, I'd go with the GS60. I bought a KG5 back in the mid 80's that had some slight rust on the strings and that piano is a wonderful instrument and we're still using the original strings.

Jack in TN

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for everyone's input so far. Any thoughts on the $7500 price given the possible need for new strings?

Q
Q
If it's helpful. I purchased a 1991 GS-40 (6' 1") this year for $6500. Total costs including tuning, regulation, voicing, moving, etc. are now up to around $7700 I believe. $7500 seems like a pretty good price to me, though keep in mine you might need several hundred dollars worth of work to get the piano where you'd like it to be in terms of sound and touch.

I'd advise you to get the GS-60, or perhaps try to find something in between the two in terms of size since there's such a big difference between the two.

I believe the GS models are of superior quality to the KG models (more akin to the RX models), though I'm not sure. I think KawaiDon had a good on here explaining the relationships between the KG-GS-RX lines.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Quickster94
try to find something in between the two in terms of size since there's such a big difference between the two.

Yea, if you can, shop for a bit longer. You might find a very nice 5'10" or 6'1".

V
V
I would send a tech to see the GS-60, and if it checks out ok (then you'd know about restringing vs not too), and you have the room, buy it - seems like a good price, and size matters.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission