2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So it's really a loyalty/longevity discount, not a family discount. Singles who have been with the dentist for years probably also receive it as well. Of course, if I could charge the hourly rate your dentist charges, I think I might be inclined to show the same courtesy to my students who have been with me for over 40 years.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
So it's really a loyalty/longevity discount, not a family discount. Singles who have been with the dentist for years probably also receive it as well. Of course, if I could charge the hourly rate your dentist charges, I think I might be inclined to show the same courtesy to my students who have been with me for over 40 years.

Well John, you should put your rates up!! wink grin

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
D
D
way up !!! smile (and i'm only talking...about fillings...nothing complicated)

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie

Well John, you should put your rates up!! wink grin

You think my rates are low? They are just about what the market will carry.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
How about for a "bridge?"

I didn't used to but my business has finally been hit by the bad economy. I lost both of my school gigs this year and had 4 families (each with 2 kids) not return in the fall due to their financial situation. Plus my own family is currently totally dependent on my income due to my husbands business fading to almost nothing.

So...uh...yeah...in addition to family discounts...I am also offering a referral bonus for new students, and a slight discount if they pay me in cash every month. I recently also took on a student who is taking lessons every other week on a little keyboard......horrors! smile

I used to be so strict with my "policy" and my "rules"....and even turn away students if certain criteria weren't met, etc. But there has been a shift for myself and my family. I've had to open my mind and ultimately my heart.

It's been very humbling and I was pretty angry at first...but once I accepted it, my life began to feel really exciting...like I'm back-packing on the cheap! Here are some positive aspects of having less than what we're used to:

1. We are so much more resourceful with cooking on the cheap. And so much less wasteful than before. For example, I used to buy 3 different kinds of chips every week and end up throwing a third of them away every week. (Also drinking less alcohol...probably healthier...but when this gets better I'm getting my Spaten Optimators back!)
2. We are down to one car....good for us and good for the earth. Lots of walking and cycling now.
3. We are working less so we have more free time to spend with our daughter and each other. I have started writing a book which I thought would never happen.
4. The teaching every other week thing is working for that little kid and his mom is going to get a digital piano in the new year. I'm so glad I didn't turn him away!
5. When we do get to eat out- which used to be at least once a week- it feels really special.
6. I'm getting better at accepting help...

M. Katchur
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lollipop
A sibling quits, and suddenly the other sibling's tuition increases and parents are surprised.

Usually when one sibling quits, the other(s) quit, too, either simultaneously, or within a few months. I think I started a thread on this topic several months ago. I was content with the older sibling, but the younger one is becoming a drag. I was contemplating keeping one and sending the other to a more patient teacher. As things turned out, they both quit piano for good.

A long time ago, I used to hand out sibling discounts, until I found out the dangers of teaching siblings. Sometimes I'm suddenly left with a 2-hour hole in my schedule.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by trillingadventurer
I didn't used to but my business has finally been hit by the bad economy. I lost both of my school gigs this year and had 4 families (each with 2 kids) not return in the fall due to their financial situation. Plus my own family is currently totally dependent on my income due to my husbands business fading to almost nothing.

So...uh...yeah...in addition to family discounts...I am also offering a referral bonus for new students, and a slight discount if they pay me in cash every month. I recently also took on a student who is taking lessons every other week on a little keyboard......horrors! smile

I used to be so strict with my "policy" and my "rules"....and even turn away students if certain criteria weren't met, etc. But there has been a shift for myself and my family. I've had to open my mind and ultimately my heart.

It's been very humbling and I was pretty angry at first...but once I accepted it, my life began to feel really exciting...like I'm back-packing on the cheap! Here are some positive aspects of having less than what we're used to:

1. We are so much more resourceful with cooking on the cheap. And so much less wasteful than before. For example, I used to buy 3 different kinds of chips every week and end up throwing a third of them away every week. (Also drinking less alcohol...probably healthier...but when this gets better I'm getting my Spaten Optimators back!)
2. We are down to one car....good for us and good for the earth. Lots of walking and cycling now.
3. We are working less so we have more free time to spend with our daughter and each other. I have started writing a book which I thought would never happen.
4. The teaching every other week thing is working for that little kid and his mom is going to get a digital piano in the new year. I'm so glad I didn't turn him away!
5. When we do get to eat out- which used to be at least once a week- it feels really special.
6. I'm getting better at accepting help...

This brings up an excellent point. It all depends on how "hungry" you are as a teacher. If your studio is not full or you need to make more money, then you certainly should give whatever incentives you can to get students. This is one reason why I do appreciate when new teachers decide to start teaching. They can take on students that perhaps someone with an established studio or someone who is full and will therefore only add another student if they are particularly talented would not be willing to teach. I've been at my maximum for a while, but since my husband is going through a change in his business I'm taking on students that I might not normally take, even ones that just want a "few voice lessons" so they can sing karaoke.

So it all depends on where you are at in your studio. Are you full and have to turn people away? Or are you trying to get more students? Offering a sibling discount, while in theory doesn't make sense (you don't do less work for the 2nd child), can be a good incentive for a family who is on the fence with starting lessons.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The "hungry" factor certainly plays a role, but it is always fraught with dangers. When you begin discounting, you're going to get a reputation as a teacher who can be had at a lower rate if you negotiate hard enough. And after the recession, what will be your explanation for discontinuing your discounts? There are clever ways to work around "discounting" and maintain your reputation.

One possibility is to present to the parent the idea of a shorter lesson at the lower price, as it is surely better than no lesson at all, but teach them the longer time anyway. That is, charge them full price for a 30 min lesson, but teach the student for 40 minutes. Another way, especially with siblings, is to teach the students shorter lessons, back to back. As the students are listening to the other student's lesson, they are actually learning and gaining from the experience.

M
M
The "hungry" factor certainly plays a role, but it is always fraught with dangers. When you begin discounting, you're going to get a reputation as a teacher who can be had at a lower rate if you negotiate hard enough. And after the recession, what will be your explanation for discontinuing your discounts?
I agree. I think the best way to end this is to phase it out, and simply not offer it as an option to new students. As the students who were grandfathered in need increase in lesson times, you just let the parents know what the new cost would be, without having a discount. If they ask, you can explain to them the reasons that have been listed above for not giving discounts, but generally they don't ask.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is why I love teaching piano: I can try certain things out for awhile and then if it doesn't work I can do something else.

M. Katchur
W
W
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

A long time ago, I used to hand out sibling discounts, until I found out the dangers of teaching siblings. Sometimes I'm suddenly left with a 2-hour hole in my schedule.

This, exactly. I find that teaching siblings is MORE trouble than teaching singles. And Mom is so overwhelmed, driving her three kids around all the time, that she's even more likely to cancel.

Canceling aside, I had so many sibling groups this year that just scheduling around their requirements was a nightmare.

The mom with 3 piano daughters waits in my waiting room. The next students might show up a bit early, a sibling pair plus dad. I've got to acomodate 6 people at once in my waiting room, now!

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by trillingadventurer
This is why I love teaching piano: I can try certain things out for awhile and then if it doesn't work I can do something else.

Very true. Of course it'd be nice to have everything figured out from the beginning, but at least we have the flexibility to change things as private teachers!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments; you've all made some good points.

N
N
I go to people's homes, but I decided not to do a sibling discount because I have parents who were eager to pay me full price. Those are the kinds of families I want to work with. They know I am worth the money and that it is already a great deal for what I'm giving them. I teach four sets of siblings. Once in a while, someone will call me and ask about a sibling discount, but I just tell them it's not something I have offered other families with multiple children, but we can discuss maybe a shorter lesson. Once in a while I will do a partial barter too, but bartering can't pay my rent.

Another issue is there is no guarantee those siblings will always be on the same schedule. One might start sports and another day might not work for both of them. I was just called today by a lady who wants lessons for her 3 kids, but $300 is a bit steep for her. I totally understand that, but I am in the same position. My kids don't get to do some activities because it's hard to afford. I have four children.

Piano Teacher
I have a mother who pays me generously. I have taught her two daughters and have recently accepted her son as well as another adopted daughter. I have no idea how she figures out how much each kid is worth. The 17 year old pays more than the 7 year old. the super talented 11 year old, is somewhere in the middle.

I don't ask.. i just go deposit the checks. she pays by the month. Sometimes she can't quite figure out the amount so she just writes me three checks. she pays for lessons skipped (a rarity) and always seems to tack on an extra twenty dollars. She explained one time. I just said "Jane.. really, you don't have to pay me if a kid misses a lesson", but she insists. Sometimes i think she is adopting these extra kids just so I'll have something to do.

She is a fascinating woman and her own biological children have very acute intelligence. Of the 6 children she has adopted in the last 4 years, 5 have special needs (hopefully 4). This is not a foster child state funded thing, she actually adopts the children. I like how i can depend on that monthly income and don't know whether i would offer a discounted price. I have taught other siblings before and was quite irritated at the thought of them receiving cheaper lessons just because there were 3 of them.

If they practiced, i probably would have felt differently.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Apple, isn't it odd that this woman plays you according to her own invented price structure and not your own? Does that ever bother you a little?

P
P
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Apple, isn't it odd that this woman plays you according to her own invented price structure and not your own? Does that ever bother you a little?

If a parent was paying me more than what my rates were, I don't think I'd be too bothered!

i would be bothered, but i think i'd charge her about 75 dollars less monthly. she really is generous i think. I wouldn't have any other students if i charged them what she gives me for her kids.

i do find it funny tho, that Claire is worth more than Anthony. I do have to practice to prepare for Claire, but i need to practice somtimes anyway.

I am really excited about teaching this 7 year old boy. he is so eager and was sooooo nervous the other day. I just hugged him, he was so very frightened. that probably scared him worse.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Para Otras
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose

If a parent was paying me more than what my rates were, I don't think I'd be too bothered!

Same here! It actually has happened before. The most grateful parents I've ever worked for. I've become great friends with them. Too bad their kids are the complete opposite.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
B
I have a family who gives me an extra $50 quarterly than what I charge. It's a nice gesture and I certainly don't complain wink

It's true that there is less admin when teaching families who have more than one child learning piano, but I see that as a bonus of doing my job well enough that they want to enroll their other children in lessons. Why should I pay a penalty for that?

Most families, in my experience, will enroll their other children in lessons eventually WITHOUT a discount, so there is no point offering one. But then I live in a wealthy area where money isn't generally a problem.

I too can be a bleeding heart at the best of times and find it hard to stick to my business plan, but you have to remember that at the end of the day you ARE running a business, and it's poor business practice to bleed profits unnecessarily for clients who at the end of the day will probably feel entitled to the benefits you're offering them, rather than grateful for them.

While I agree somewhat that if you don't have a full studio you might want to make some concessions, I also think you have to consider what the message is that you are sending to prospective clients. How valuable is your time? Do you percieve yourself as a professional? etc. Policies, rates etc all are indicators of the answer to these questions.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission