Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1550657 - 11/04/10 07:24 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: achat]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: ashat
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Power referred to a speaker is usally the power the speaker is able to handle. And it is measurable.

So it is definitely inappropriate to say that a speaker that can *handle* more power is "more powerful."

but if saying "more powerful" the German video would mean "capable to handle more power" this could actually be measured.
if it is saying "better" this cannot be measured.

A.

He did not say "powerful" or "can handle more power", but "improved" and "fuller sound", whatever that means exactly. (And he probably wouldn't mention the speakers at all if there was really no change.)

Martin

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1550673 - 11/04/10 08:37 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: Martin C. Doege]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: Martin C. Doege

He did not say "powerful" or "can handle more power", but "improved" and "fuller sound", whatever that means exactly. (And he probably wouldn't mention the speakers at all if there was really no change.)

I play my P85 mainly with headphones, and my unit probably has a little defect (string-like echo in the background) in the piano sounds (see my first post here on PWF, that I will find the time to make it fixed by Yamaha assistance sooner or later).

Anyway the few times I play by speakers I feel the sound a bit "closed" inside the unit. Adding both reverberation and high volume (say over 0.7 in a scale 0 to 1) solve the problem.

So it could be with the "new" speakers in the P95 Yamaha has tried to fix this. Despite it could be what I ear as a "defect" or "limit" of the P85 it is actually due to my subjective taste and has nothing to do with real inefficiency of the P85 speakers.

A.

Edited by ashat (11/04/10 08:38 AM)

#1550686 - 11/04/10 09:12 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: achat]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Anyway the few times I play by speakers I feel the sound a bit "closed" inside the unit. Adding both reverberation and high volume (say over 0.7 in a scale 0 to 1) solve the problem.

Funny, I think it sounds better over speakers without reverb, using the natural reverberation of the room only like a real piano. De gustibus non est disputandum I suppose...

Martin

#1550731 - 11/04/10 11:10 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: Martin C. Doege]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Funny, I think it sounds better over speakers without reverb, using the natural reverberation of the room only like a real piano.

That's exactly how I feel about the P95. It is one of the annoyances about it. Every time I turn it on, I have to hit Metronome-F to turn off the darn reverb. I wish there were some way to save that.

#1550757 - 11/04/10 12:11 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: anotherscott]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Funny, I think it sounds better over speakers without reverb, using the natural reverberation of the room only like a real piano.

That's exactly how I feel about the P95. It is one of the annoyances about it. Every time I turn it on, I have to hit Metronome-F to turn off the darn reverb. I wish there were some way to save that.

The P-85/95 is simply too good, so they have to artificially put in some minor annoyances to upsell people to the P-155 or CP33. Software vendors work like this all the time. I don't think it's a technical limitation because the touch sensitivity level (and perhaps some other settings) do survive a power cycle.

Martin

#1550953 - 11/04/10 04:48 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: anotherscott]
DóRéMi Offline

Loc: Portugal
I'm happy with my p-85, I had to buy it based on my money and the internetz lolz one day I will upgrade to a roland! @_@

#1551103 - 11/04/10 08:33 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: DóRéMi]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

With close to 70 posts in this thread- its a testament to what a great series the P85/P95 are. After 8 days, I am still pretty thrilled with it. The Rhodes has the dynamic stereo samples while the acoustic of course has just 1. However, on the YDP140 I had a somewhat difficult time discerning between the 3 layers, but I was honestly trying to rationalize not getting it due to the fact that I am moving within a year and figure I can get a console later.

Do you need to hit Metromnome-F to take off the effects everytime you start it? I thought it defaulted to no effect as opposed to your last setting

I do not find the Jazz organ to be as exciting as one in my motif, but it is fun to blend with the piano once in awhile
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1551109 - 11/04/10 08:41 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HowardK

Do you need to hit Metromnome-F to take off the effects everytime you start it?

Metro-F put to zero the default reverb effect, which I am not able to say which kind and level is, but it is actually present at each start up.

[quite=HowardK]
I thought it defaulted to no effect as opposed to your last setting
[/quote]

the default it is actually "a bit of reverb". You can check on the manual. I didn't realize it until I was trying to eliminate my annoying background string-like echo, and discover that puttin the reverb to zero does actually eliminate the problem from every voice but not from the pianos (argh!!)

A.

#1551800 - 11/05/10 11:02 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: dewster]
Musicfix Offline

I tried a P155 next to a P95 and liked the sound and feel of the P95 better, at half the price. May not have helped that the P155 had a strange tuning issue... every G# was noticeably flat!

#1551812 - 11/05/10 11:29 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: Musicfix]
Kaldanis Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK
Originally Posted By: Musicfix
I tried a P155 next to a P95 and liked the sound and feel of the P95 better, at half the price. May not have helped that the P155 had a strange tuning issue... every G# was noticeably flat!

This worries me a little as I was thinking about buying one!

#1551946 - 11/06/10 05:46 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: Musicfix]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Musicfix

I went to look at them when deciding with 2 friends to get their opinion. It is all subjective, but I had the same thought you had-
for half the money I was happier with the P95, I do find it more mellow which is to my taste. Also, 26 pounds versus 41 was better for me
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1555720 - 11/11/10 03:43 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: achat]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I think it is more likely he is making a properly worded qualitative statement to describe what he perceives as an actual benefit,

which does not refer to a concrete difference so it is just a subjective evaluation.

Semantics aside, the real question is whether or not the speakers are actually truly different in any respect, that's what really matters here, and that is what we have not yet determined for certain.

and you should even consider that "different" does not necessarily implies "better"...

Of course different isn't always better. But it's still different, and my whole point in this thread was to say that people shouldn't say they sound and feel the same unless they actually know.

Anyway, I did get a response from Yamaha, saying that the part numbers for the speakers for the P85 and P95 are indeed different. He also said that the speakers in the P95 have "increased sound output."

That is consistent with the German youtube comment, and could be why the one poster here who compared them thought the P95 sounded better... however, that would only indicate a difference when using the internal speakers. Whether or not there is any sonic difference when listening through headphones or external amplification remains an open question.

#1557908 - 11/14/10 10:29 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: anotherscott]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Thanks to anotherscott (thanks!) the P-95 just ran the DPBSD gauntlet - Link.

Long story short, the main piano voice in both is identical.

#1558810 - 11/16/10 05:49 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: anotherscott]
DóRéMi Offline

Loc: Portugal
how do you clean the p-85?

#1572435 - 12/08/10 02:30 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: DóRéMi]
Ovidiu M Offline

Loc: Romania
I have an X stand and one simple quesion. If i buy a Yamaha P85, will it fall off?

Edited by Ovidiu M (12/08/10 04:30 AM)

#1572503 - 12/08/10 07:17 AM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: Ovidiu M]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ovidiu M
I have an X stand and one simple quesion. If i buy a Yamaha P85, will it fall off?

I have a P85 on a double X stand and it is firmly on it.
Just make sure the arms of the X stand aren't larger (from left to right) sitting in front of the keyboard, of 85cm. (The fact is exactly 85 cm is purely random smile.

This garantees the bottom of the p85 will land on the stand where it has the orizzontal central bar, and NOT where there are the V-shape bottom speakers.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that I have put around the arms some tape of the one we use here in italy to fix old windows letting pass too much cold air (I don't know the name in english, sorry :)). Otherwise it may slide off.

A.

Edited by ashat (12/08/10 09:16 AM)

#1572690 - 12/08/10 01:26 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: anotherscott]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
ever try velcro?

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1572826 - 12/08/10 05:07 PM Re: Yamaha P85 vs. P95 [Re: daviel]
achat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: daviel
ever try velcro?

uhm the points of contact of the rounded arms of the X stand with the P85 are very small, the P85 is not flat in the bottom.

so I don't think velcro could work, but I didn't try.

Edited by ashat (12/08/10 05:12 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
10/19/14 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/19/14 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
10/19/14 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
10/19/14 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
10/19/14 04:23 PM
Who's Online
79 registered (barbaram, 36251, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, ando, 22 invisible), 1203 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325597 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission