2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My favorite gifts to receive are:
* A music related tree ornament
* A bag of good coffee beans
* A bottle of wine
* Anything chocolate
* Hand made card or a letter

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Mr. Hazelton,

I don't have a "coolest gift" to report, but I did love the "peppermint bark" candy I received one year. (OTOH I found out that I don't like Starbucks chocolate, but it was still nice to receive it.)

But truly, no matter what I receive, it is a thrill to open a gift and just receiving a gift really makes me feel appreciated.

Today I received a small bowl with a spoon (holiday colors) along with a mix to make a cheeseball. I've never made a cheese ball before, but I'll make this one. So thrilling to try something new. I'm delighted, yet if someone asked if I want a decorative bowl and a cheese ball mix I would have thought no. Having it given to me makes it very special.

In other words, the gift will be appreciated simply because you are giving it. That's my opinion anyway.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have to agree with those who suggest edible gifts - cookies, chocolates, wine, etc.

Buying any clothing article is a risky (tastes are so particular) and gift coupons look a bit lame although they are practical for certain items (coupon for Barnes & Noble, for instance).

But cookies, chocolates, etc. will not be sitting on a shelf all year like some vase that isn't really wanted. I was delighted when a student gave me small tin of home-made cookies last year.

Besides, it really isn't the cost of a present, but the kindness of the gesture that makes an impression.

T
T
Ditto on it being the thoughtfulness of the gesture that is the most touching, regardless of the actual gift, but i just wanted to mention my favourite gift so far this christmas. Along with a box of star shaped cookies, I was given a book called "Rock Connexions" that is a history of rock (term used loosely - it includes musicians like Tori Amos and Joni Mitchell), with a leaning towards how they all influenced each other. It is a really great book, and I found it a nice change from all the cookies and chocolates. So an *interesting* music related book might be an option? If you know their taste that is.

R
R
I got two presents yesterday. Hand cream and a really nice lemon meringue flavoured soap (I was temped to see if it tasted as yummy as it smelt wink ) and some chocolate flavored short bread biscuits. Funnily enough I never get any wine of my students.. thats one thing I would love! lol.

Other things other Teachers have recieved:
- books on music (history of music, bib of Handel etc.)
- music themed items (im super jealous as I have never recieved any! My boss got soaps, pencils, cups.. and me none!)
- christmas decorations (I got a porcelain one a few years ago taht was great, and a lovely candle holder!)
- drawings, cards (love them)
- Picture frames (musical and non musical)
- chocolates... so many chocolates! laugh

I like home made treats, chocolates, decorations, cards.. well just the thought laugh (although my student yesterday couldnt remember my name! lol, then he had to ask how to spell it whilst he wrote on the card!!)

Rebecca.
Private Piano Teacher, Conservatorium Recorder teacher, Primary School Band Method Teacher
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by RSByrne

I like home made treats, chocolates, decorations, cards.. well just the thought laugh (although my student yesterday couldnt remember my name! lol, then he had to ask how to spell it whilst he wrote on the card!!)

That reminds me of a card I got 2 years ago, beautiful (store bought) card addressed to "Teacher". smile

R
R
Yeah he came running in and was like "your names Rebecca right?" Uh yep "how do you spell that" .. quickly scribbles on card! Lol. I guess I introduce myself the first lesson but I dont have my name on the door or anything lol.

Rebecca.
Private Piano Teacher, Conservatorium Recorder teacher, Primary School Band Method Teacher
E
E
A little off topic, but I am curious; what do teachers think about receiving concert (symphony) tickets? (this is what I bought for my teacher for christmas this year-- but I am beginning to doubt whether or not it was a good idea!)

An additional consideration might be that the program consists of;
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 23
Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 04 'Italian'
Britten - Simple Symphony
---- and the pianist is Angela Cheng ----

In any case, at least it isn't fierro rocher, or pot of gold, right? smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elisha-Marie
A little off topic, but I am curious; what do teachers think about receiving concert (symphony) tickets?

Are you kidding me? What a GREAT idea!

One of my student's mother asked me if I wanted some Asian pop singer's tickets. I told her no-thanks, not my style of music. So she ended up not giving me anything. Oh, well.

Last edited by AZNpiano; 12/18/10 05:31 AM.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission