Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1299144 - 11/03/09 08:45 PM Yamaha's Avant Grand & CGP-1000 Comparison & Review
pwjim Offline

Hi everyone,
I'm an ex Yamaha CVP-107 owner and a current Motif XS8 owner so I believe I know my way around the Yamaha digital pianos quite well. I use all kinds of instrument sounds: Strings, Leads, Organs, Whistles, Flute, Piano, etc. I also use a lot of functionality like the accompaniment, record, fills, syncs, etc. Just so you can see my qualifications, here's my youtube.com/pianopate

Today, I tried the CGP-1000 & the Avant Grand to see what the fuss is about. I've been interested in the CGP-1000 for a while so, it was a self fulfilling trip. Thought others would like to hear my take on these digital pianos, and hopefully Yamaha will listen as well.

CGP-1000:
The look: This piano on the exterior looks beautiful. It looks just like a real piano. I like the way it hides the electronics and you can flip the lid the 2nd time to show all the electronics - which is very cool.
Pros: Looks just like a real piano. Hides the electronics quite well.
Cons: If the piano is turned on, you can see the electronics through the cracks as you flip the lid for the first time(remember you can flip the lid twice). The lid doesn't seem to close or open comfortably, there's no click to let you know that it's closed, or it is open.

The sound: I was in one of the private rooms with wooden walls and floors at the piano store, and to me, the sound was just ok for this piano. Wasn't too impressed.
Pros: I can't figure out what I liked..
Cons: The sound was not impressive. Doesn't sound very clear or warm. Not very Yamaha like. I expected much more from Yamaha for a $25,000 piano. If the speaker system isn't that great, I can't tell the quality of the sound banks.

The feel: The keys felt like it was aged a little to give that grand piano feel. I personally prefer it to feel more like the Avant Grand (without the vibration feedback). So there's room for improvement here.

Avant Grand:
The look: This piano looks absolutely beautiful. It's contemporary and yet classy - very sexy! The speakers on top looks just as good as what is shown on the pictures. The wood is just like a real piano, it has a nice shine to it. The controls on the left pops out once you press it. It has a nice feel and looks solid. The navigation is just a bit tricky, but one can get the hang of it fairly quickly since there isn't too many options - only 5 instruments.

The sound: If only the CGP-1000 sounds like this. The sound is rich on highs, mediums and lows. It was such a great experience playing this piano. The 5 instruments all sound very high in quality.

The feel: The keys feel much better than the CGP-1000 keys. The one thing I didn't like was the vibration feedback, I think you can turn it off. If I can turn it off, I would. But the target market for this piano are for acoustic players, I'm a mix of acoustic and synth piano player.

Conclusion:
For an acoustic player, I think the Avant Grand serves its purpose very well. But for me, I wouldn't buy either one, because I want the functionality of the CGP-1000, but with the look, feel, and sound of the Avant Grand. If Yamaha can do a combination of the 2 instruments, it would make a very compelling case for me to buy one.

Ideally:
- I like the CGP-1000 cabinet, with the speaker setup of the Avant Grand.
- The Avant Grand keys on the CGP-1000 with no vibration feedback.
- Improve on the lids of the CGP-1000.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking to purchase one of these instruments. I need to start saving for the next version.. hopefully the CGP-2000 will have all that I've suggested!

Cheers!

Edited by pwjim (11/03/09 08:56 PM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1299801 - 11/05/09 05:00 AM Re: Yamaha's Avant Grand & CGP-1000 Comparison & Review [Re: pwjim]
pwjim Offline

One other thing, the front panel speakers for the CGP-1000 sounds a bit dry.

#1572902 - 12/08/10 07:02 PM Re: Yamaha's Avant Grand & CGP-1000 Comparison & Review [Re: pwjim]
B. Michels Offline

Originally Posted By: pwjim
I want the functionality of the CGP-1000, but with the look, feel, and sound of the Avant Grand. If Yamaha can do a combination of the 2 instruments, it would make a very compelling case for me to buy one.

Agree 1000%

Same request: The avantgrand control panel& feature set is pathetic for the asked price.

#1572939 - 12/08/10 08:23 PM Re: Yamaha's Avant Grand & CGP-1000 Comparison & Review [Re: B. Michels]
boxijie Offline

Loc: Vancouver
Originally Posted By: B. Michels
I want the functionality of the CGP-1000, but with the look, feel, and sound of the Avant Grand. If Yamaha can do a combination of the 2 instruments, it would make a very compelling case for me to buy one.

Agree 1000%

Same request: The avantgrand control panel& feature set is pathetic for the asked price.

Yeah I would go for CVP509 n2 combo or maybe CVP 509 N3 combo, but the prices will be for that CVP n2 20K and CVP n3 30K. We might be the only 3 that would want it too.

#1573168 - 12/09/10 06:25 AM Re: Yamaha's Avant Grand & CGP-1000 Comparison & Review [Re: pwjim]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

But for me, I wouldn't buy either one, because I want the functionality of the CGP-1000, but with the look, feel, and sound of the Avant Grand. If Yamaha can do a combination of the 2 instruments, it would make a very compelling case for me to buy one.

Ideally:
- I like the CGP-1000 cabinet, with the speaker setup of the Avant Grand.
- The Avant Grand keys on the CGP-1000 with no vibration feedback.
- Improve on the lids of the CGP-1000.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking to purchase one of these instruments. I need to start saving for the next version.. hopefully the CGP-2000 will have all that I've suggested!

The CGP-1000 functionality is the same as the CVP-409GP with a little different speaker system, so I would expect a CGP-2000 to be the same as the CVP-1000 with the CVP-509 functionality (there isn't a CVP-509GP yet - last I looked). So basically, I don't think you will get what you want, except the piano sounds are said to be a bit better in the 509 than the 409. Personally, when I want to play solo piano I just use my CVP-409GP as a midi keyboard for various virtual pianos about 90% of the time, but when I want the bells and whistles arranger features I use the built-in piano voices about 90% of the time.

If you only tried the CVP-1000 for an hour or two I wouldn't be too quick to judge that the speaker system is a problem. Perhaps the setup (it has many controls - default equalizations - that affect the sound) wasn't right for your taste. I'd try playing a good virtual piano through its speakers and see if that could satisfy your solo "acoustic" piano needs. It might be the best combination for your dual needs (sometimes solo, sometimes with all the trimmings) - it (with the CVP-409GP case) works well for me.

Edited by Macy (12/09/10 06:38 AM)

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Ravenscroft 275, True Keys American D, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1577237 - 12/15/10 02:41 PM Re: Yamaha's Avant Grand & CGP-1000 Comparison & Review [Re: pwjim]
B. Michels Offline

CGP-2000 ??? Any infos about it or is it just a "wish" :-)

Also, has someone heard about a CVP-509 GP ? (the curent GP version is the 409... a generation back to the 509)

#1578658 - 12/17/10 10:00 AM Re: Yamaha's Avant Grand & CGP-1000 Comparison & Review [Re: pwjim]
B. Michels Offline

Little question for those who know the CVP 509: There is a RGB monitor connection. When we connect an external monitor, can it be used to display scores (and more score than on the 7" screen) or only for the karaoke ?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
114 registered (accordeur, ando, 40 invisible), 1338 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74256 Members
42 Forums
153602 Topics
2251223 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action regulating
by pater57
04/20/14 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
04/20/14 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
04/20/14 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission