2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
he sounds like a great guy.. he didn't buy you
a Dyson vacumn..but a piano..something you love.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mikhailoh:
It is called poor manners where I come from.

Indeed it is.

I'm putting my money on it being an Ellenburg, by the way... wink .

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Today, I bought my wife a piano. It wouldn't matter if it was a piano or a wrist watch. I think we are about the same age as Jordang and her husband. It's not about who makes more money or whose money it is. Gifts, small or large, are given from the heart. Now I know what some of you are going to say but I'm not kidding!!!!!! And I like reading this thread too.

Kawai RX2/Yamaha Digital YPG625
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I will agree with Jordang on one thing. I assure you that when I bought my grand I dang well had my wife's blessing to do so.

I, like Jordang, am lucky enough to be blessed with a mate that holds my happiness as I as I do hers. You don't make major purchases in a marriage without concensus.

But Jordang, you've had the piano for a couple days now. Holding the information back while expecting your audience to take the ride with you is not, IMO, as graceful as I think you are.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yeah Mik, but she's either playing the piano or showing appreciation...posting here is probably third best right now. Wonder if she chose the "right" piano...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, this is one of those "mystery" threads that I've enjoyed - but now I'm wondering if I missed what piano she got???

I'm rooting for Bosendorfer!

Derick

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bob Newbie:
he sounds like a great guy.. he didn't buy you a Dyson vacumn..but a piano..something you love.
I would be overjoyed to receive a Dyson vacuum! whome

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
must resist that sucks jokes..... must resist....

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
L
L
I'm LOVING this thread and agree if one doesn't like it or enjoy it go somewhere else - quietly.

Jordang thank you so much for the little morsels all along the way - it's been wonderful to come in every evening this week and rush to find out what happens next.

It's generous of you to take your time and share your life with us - I'm richer for it and have learned so much just reading this.

What a blessing to have a husband who loves you so much.

L
L
"Our daughter and son-in-law have now decided they want to find a Baby Grand to buy, and another friend of ours is also searching for a piano."

I know of a Knabe baby - 5'1" - that I understand has the deepest, stronest bass keys imaginable for a piano this size. Our piano teacher said it makes up in sound what it lacks in size and she would buy it for her daughter if she had the chance.

email me privately for more details - it is not mine but is being sold by a couple I know.
lynda@usmcjosts.com
(Am I allowed to post that here?)

OP Offline
Buying and Work to Get Delivery
After enjoying an evening on the beach at Melbourne, we drove back to Orlando and checked into a hotel for the night. Early the next morning we turned in our rental car and caught an early flight to St. Louis, MO. We were on our way to buy a piano in St. Louis that we have not told about! A Grotrian Rococo that my husband found at an internet Superstore. eek

[Linked Image]

NOT! (He thought that'd be funny to say because of some comments that have been made. Oh well...)

So no, we were just flying back to Dallas. Once in Dallas we went to a Mother's Day dinner with our families where we shared the news and pictures of the piano. Afterwards we hurried out to the piano owner's home and arranged the details of the bill of sale. Mission accomplished!

On Monday my husband begin working with Mr. Kahn over the telephone, on how the touch up work on the Feurich would be done. The problem was that the trim pieces were of a different wood than the veneer case and they had taken the stain differently during the manufacturing process. After staining the pianos was coated with several coats of clear polyester finish and then polished. The piano had been in the living room of a house on a lake with lots of windows and UV rays fading the finish for 20 years. The veneer was only lightly faded and very beautiful in the lighter shade. The trim pieces had faded much more and this made the piano look strange.
[Linked Image]

Mr. Kahn, who had been involved in the manufacture and rebuilding of fine pianos all of his life, believed that he could brush on colored touch up lacquer over the trim only and then coat these pieces with new polyester clear coat. This made sense to my husband but he wanted a second opinion. So he emailed Mr. Julius Feurich in Germany at the Feurich factory. Mr. Feurich responded promptly and very nicely at length. He suggested that we ship the piano back to him in Germany and he would laboriously remove the polyester finish and then refinish the piano as if it was new. The finishing process is a 12 step process. He suggested that "since we had such a fine piano, it was worth the very large expense!" He has just completed refinishing a Feurich piano like this which was damaged by water in the New Orleans hurricane and flood. (I wonder how many months that has taken.) If we decided on that course of repair, we would finish this adventure story next year when I finally got to play it.!!!
But my husband decided to go ahead and ask Mr. Kahn to touch up all of the trim in lacquer and polyester clear coat as he suggested. It only took 4 days to get the colored lacquer from a specialty dealer and finish the piano. Mr. Kahn also regulated and tuned the piano.

On Friday my new 6'4" Feurich Rococo Grand Piano was delivered. yippie In two or three weeks his special tech will come and again tune and revoice the piano in our home. He wanted to wait until I had played it a lot to see how much the 25 year old hammers change with playing. They may get softer with being played regularly. Currently the hammers look like new, as the piano has barely been played over the years, but age has hardened them.

So this is my new Grand piano! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Since Chris Vienna asked for high resolution pictures, these are links to these same pictures only in higher resolution.
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Feurichme.jpg

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Feurichplayed1.jpg

And here are links to two more pictures in high resolution:
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/FeurichHR.jpg
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/FeurichHR2.jpg

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano-- as you said it's fit for a castle and very lovely ! I hope you have many happy years making music with it. I have to admit, I thought you were going for the ebony Feurich or a Bosendorfer... but this one seemed to have captured your heart and imagination.
best wishes,

Sophia

OP Offline
These are more pictures of my Feurich Rococo which was made in Germany in 1982 by the Julius Feurich family.

And check back again for three more days as we have two or three more chapters to write! This adventure is not quite over. Thanks for reading and sharing it with us.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These keys are made of Ivory. They are each of one piece. On most pianos with ivory keys each top is made from two parts, the head and the tail. Another neat thing is that the black keys are made from real ebony wood, not painted black.

[Linked Image]

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano! I love seeing reflections on the wood and the full size ivory keys are great. I forgot now what you said about how it sounds. You'll have to summarize...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

L
L
If only it were possible to just touch it across the internet....

It is beautiful!!!

I'm so thrilled for you and so envious (in a good way of course.)

Indeed a wonderful blessing and a wonderful gift from your husband.

Do you think he'd help me find one now??? lol - just kidding. We're looking in a market much much lower than what I'm sure you spent!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
THAT - is a beautiful piano!

Congratulations Jordang.
Enjoy!
Thanks for the story too. It sounds like the journey was as much fun as the destination.

Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gorgeous

Congratulations. What a beautiful piano. I will miss checking your post every morning.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Beautiful piano and a great end to the story! Please post a follow up in a month or so and let us know how it sounds after being played for a while.

Congratulations!

Greg
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Stunning! I will eventually have a Louis XV too. I love the style and we have a number of other French pieces in our home.

Enjoy!

Michael

====

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission