2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 540 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Andy, I laughed so hard too. Wouldn't be funny if there was actually such update from your wife.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
My recital is in May 2011. Yeah, these are big pieces for me. It’s been taking while to learn them partly because I am busy and also I am lazy. I got myself a teacher so that someone else will put pressure on me. I’ve been with piano long enough that I know how to practice. It’s just “doing” is the hardest part. It’s much easier to play around Christmas songs than working on difficult 2 or 3 measures concentrating for a couple of hours trying to get it. My usual pattern is to start that sort of true practice the night before my lesson. My new year’s resolution is to include at least 3 days of real practice in my piano playing routines. Let’s see…

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
TMID: (your name is really long!!! )
I'm working on improving my practice sessions too -but I'm also making sure I do a bit more "playing" smile I've got to keep my hard-learned pieces in my memory bank! smile

MaryBee I was wondering if Andy was wondering if he was going to have more news! lol....

JimF...... "Hello, My name is Jim, and I'm a sheet-music addict." smile
I'm glad you straighted out the mystery! I was feeling my book wasn't up to snuff! I'm so tempted to get more of the Dan Coates books, but I really need to wait a bit. I've already got alot of material (much of it given to me as gifts) that I can't really play!!!

You must be having fun shopping for your piano! I think my hunt was simplified by my space and budget constraints! I got the best piano for me at this moment..."fairly" quickly. It has taken me about a month but I finally feel I'm "almost" used to it! There are still some moments when I'm very startled at how loud it is. However, I also find it very interesting that I have almost NO interest in using the silent feature. If I'm dying to play late at night, I will... but for the rest, I'd almost rather not play than use the head phones. The silent sound is decent enough... but it just isn't the same thing.

I seem to have rambled a bit there.... oh well, just feeling in a good mood and a bit chatty.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Achievement of the week- today, I was able to play Chopin's Farewell Walrz from memory for the first time! That is big for me because memory is my weakest link. I like to memorize because even though I use sheet music when I play, I play much better when the piece is memorized.

qtpi
I've been working on a little prelude by J.S. Bach, BWV 930. Most of the sonatinas I work on consist of melodies made up of scales passages, familiar broken chords, and basic I, IV, and V harmonies. By contrast, the pieces by J.S. Bach that I've studied are filled with intervals that are not very familiar to me, and there is a lot of awkward (awkward to me, that is), moving "deeper" into the white keys (toward the fallboard) to be able to better reach black notes. The result is, whereas I need few fingerings written in for the sonatina literature I've studied, I usually write in fingerings for every single note for J.S. Bach's pieces.

Anyway, I recently came across a book on the history of keyboard technique. In this book, there is a photograph of BWV 930, written in Bach's own hand, with Bach's own fingering for practically every note. Supposedly, this is one of the few pieces still in existence with J.S. Bach's own fingering. I compared Bach's fingerings with what I had written in, and lo and behold, except for two notes, all of the fingerings matched! So, this was a long winded way of saying perhaps I'm getting a better intuition for good fingering (hopefully).

It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by molto_agitato
Anyway, I recently came across a book on the history of keyboard technique. In this book, there is a photograph of BWV 930, written in Bach's own hand, with Bach's own fingering for practically every note. Supposedly, this is one of the few pieces still in existence with J.S. Bach's own fingering. I compared Bach's fingerings with what I had written in, and lo and behold, except for two notes, all of the fingerings matched! So, this was a long winded way of saying perhaps I'm getting a better intuition for good fingering (hopefully).

It's a small victory, but I'll take what I can get!
Thinking like Bach - that's an excellent achievement of the week! smile

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
How cool that you've got a photo of BWV 930 written in Bach's hand! and even better that your own fingering pretty much matches his!

In my Christmas book, there is a photo of the original handwritten Silent Night, which I thought was pretty nifty.

[Linked Image]

P
P
i took my grade 6 practical exam today and it went ok, no major slip-ups, just a couple of missed notes. So relieved it is over, think i did enough to pass, we shall see. My hand was shaking at one point but i managed to keep my cool! I'm looking forward now to taking a break and just playing new pieces.

Piano Yamaha U1
Studying Grade 8 piano and 6 theory

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
GTPI - I had to go look up Chopin's Farewell waltz... It is very pretty - are you going to record it for us?

Piano U1 - CONGRATS! Mastering your nerves in an exam is a tough thing to do - I bet you feel very pleased.

Have fun relaxing with new pieces!

[Linked Image]

P
P
thankyou Cheryl.

Piano Yamaha U1

Currently working on:
Martinu Columbine Sings

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)
i am too computer illiterate and much too shy to post a recording. But I will post a recording someone made of the band I play flute in:

http://ptmvideo.blogspot.com/search/label/Family%20Events

We played Sunday night and I am in the second flute chair to the left of the director. I had to angle the flute out a little so I wouldn't hit the person next to me.

qtpi
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
PianoU1
Congratulations on your Level 6. I'm working on 5. Haven't done any of the exam process but that seemed like a good place to start. What repertoire pieces did you play?

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
P
P
thanks WB.
beethovens bagatelle in d
jennifer linn - a lighthouse in the fog
kabalevsky - variations in d

Piano Yamaha U1

Currently working on:
Martinu Columbine Sings

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A small woooohooo laugh

My teacher liked the Chopin E minor AND the Khatchachurian piece at yesterday's lesson, so I won't be playing those for her any more. And she liked Sound of Silence too and wants me to keep working on it. She got me a book of jazzy Vince Guaraldi Christmas tunes that I'm going to work on too.

My name is Jim, and it has been 1 day since I bought sheet music

Oh, and I was right, it was too good to be true - turns out there are two Bach G-minor minuets and she wanted me to work on the harder one. Oh well, I'll finish up the easier one first, and then tackle the other. I guess you can never get too much Bach. She is also going to pick out something juicy for me to start in on next week.

Cheers

Last edited by JimF; 12/08/10 03:31 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
QTPI (I just figured out your name!! lol).... What a fun video - nothing like playing in a concert band! I played bass clarinet for 5 years and learned so much. Thanks for posting it!

Jim, I agree, you can never get too much Bach. (And let us not forget there are several Bachs - his sons also composed!)
Congrats on being 1 day clean Jim, hang in there for day two. wink

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My name is Jim, and it has been 1 day since I bought sheet music

[Linked Image].. took me a few seconds, then LOL! I suspect this is a running gag here but I haven't seen it before. Made my day laugh
Admitting the problem is the First Step. The second step is...?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
It is hard to believe how much music Bach was able to write in his lifetime!

qtpi
Thanks for sharing, Canonie! I love your ideas for the piano journal!! (Mine would read something like: Mon.- played all wrong notes, swore heavily. Tues.- played mostly wrong notes, but only swore twice. Wed.-got through entire practice without cursing. Thurs.- actually played the notes I supposed to play! Fri.- somehow 'forgot' the song again, back to square one, profuse cursing.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." -Nietzche
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
NPGal ha That's a great start you've made on your journal wink In a real journal you could ask the very pertinent question of "what were you up to on thursday night eh?" Was wine involved perhaps? or rock-climbing? And there you go - Friday is explained smile

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Not really an achievement but I got my new repertoire piece this lesson. And that wasn't a surprise since we'd already talked about it. Anyway, I will now be torturing my family with
Chopin's Waltz No. 10 in B minor, Opus 69 no. 2.

My teacher has also told me she is going to "torture" me this coming semester to fix my technique wink And she's throwing some theory in ... I already have a good grasp but she wants to start from close to the beginning just in case I've missed / forgotten anything along the way. That doesn't bother me but it's amusing when I had to correct her on a chord she still wants me to start near the beginning. It's all good!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 15 of 540 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission