Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1572464 - 12/08/10 04:29 AM Thomann SP5100/5500!
Ovidiu M Offline

Loc: Romania
Hi!
Has anybody tried the above models? They are full sized 88 with hammers keyboards and the prices are unbeliveble. What do you think of them?

Edited by Ovidiu M (12/08/10 04:30 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1572468 - 12/08/10 04:45 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
I think if you can get to a Thomann store to try them in person by all means do and post your impressions here please! If you can't try them steer well clear, if the price is unbelievable there's probably a very good reason! Weighted hammer actions are complex and expensive to produce, to make a cheap one you have to cut corners somewhere.

BTW it's quite likely that particular member will post in this thread that all digital pianos are good and that a reputable company like Thomann wouldn't stock rubbish. You will find that he is the only person on this forum that holds that view, there's a reason for that too wink

If money is tight look at the following models, they're all good entry level instruments.

Korg Sp170 - odd method of changing voices but very nice touch and good sound. €468 at Thomann

Yamaha P95 - Good basic piano with Yamahas excellent build quality, not as high spec as the Korg and Casio but still worth considering. If you can find a P85 it should be quite a bit cheaper, it's the fore runner to the P95 and almost the same instrument. €618 at Thomann

Casio PX130 - Very popular model, good value, maybe slightly lower build quality than the others but still a decent instrument. €619 at Thomann

Kawai CL-25 - I've never tried one of these but Kawai make great pianos! I suspect it uses older sampling technology from a generation or so back when Kawai weren't noted for their sound, it should have a great action though and you can always use an external sound source (computer or module) to improve the sound. Well worth trying if you can find one - potentially the best of the bunch - €659 at Thomann

Edited by BazC (12/08/10 05:02 AM)

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1572479 - 12/08/10 05:23 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
Manolios Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

I actually didn't try them but word on the street is they're unbelievably bad, both sound & feel! Which is what I`d rather believe considering the price.

#1572506 - 12/08/10 07:20 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
Artur Gajewski Offline

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I just purchased Korg SP-170 from Thomann, the black bundle with stand, a nice piano chair and two headphones totalling 650 euros.

According to the tracking number, there are three packages coming in and all of them are currently in Hamburg waiting for the flight to Finland.

Once I receive all packages, build the piano rest and test out the piano, I will come back and write a review smile

Edited by Artur Gajewski (12/08/10 07:20 AM)

Author of Piano Lessons Package for Synthesia & Child's Piano Play

#1572512 - 12/08/10 07:33 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
There is a musical instrument dealer in Manchester that sells its "own brand" DPs - I strongly suspect these will be the same item Thomann is rebranding and selling. I haven't played either but the old adage of you get what you pay for is bound to apply.

#1572519 - 12/08/10 08:08 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Aidan]
Ovidiu M Offline

Originally Posted By: Aidan
There is a musical instrument dealer in Manchester that sells its "own brand" DPs - I strongly suspect these will be the same item Thomann is rebranding and selling. I haven't played either but the old adage of you get what you pay for is bound to apply.

Yes i also saw on youtube a review of what its called Winchester SP5500 and it looks exactly like Thomann SP5500. Anyway i listened to some youtube videos around SP5100/5500 and those keyboards make awefull squeeking sounds; i just wouldnt live with that.

#1572556 - 12/08/10 09:29 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
Fede Pede Offline

Loc: Denmark

#1573155 - 12/09/10 05:34 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
Bogs Offline

Hi! I have a friend who bought a SP5100 from thomann.de 12 days ago and 2 days ago it was delivered. It was bought through a local dealer and I went with him to help him carry it home, plus I was curios to check it out myself laugh. The dealer said it was the last one, so he was lucky, I guess. I didn't have enough time with the piano to form an opinion, but my initial reaction is that it's great for the money! The speakers sound very good (default piano sound), better I think than my Korg SP250. The touch is light though, on the Yamaha P85 side, but with a better control than a semi-weighted keyboard. Plus a ton of 'extra' options. As for the build quality, time will tell...
I'll visit my friend and post a second opinion later next week. And for those who can't read German, the reviews on the site are mostly positive..good deal for the money, touch not great, but ok, piano sound ok.

#1573190 - 12/09/10 08:09 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Bogs]
Ovidiu M Offline

Originally Posted By: Bogs
Hi! I have a friend who bought a SP5100 from thomann.de 12 days ago and 2 days ago it was delivered. It was bought through a local dealer and I went with him to help him carry it home, plus I was curios to check it out myself laugh. The dealer said it was the last one, so he was lucky, I guess. I didn't have enough time with the piano to form an opinion, but my initial reaction is that it's great for the money! The speakers sound very good (default piano sound), better I think than my Korg SP250. The touch is light though, on the Yamaha P85 side, but with a better control than a semi-weighted keyboard. Plus a ton of 'extra' options. As for the build quality, time will tell...
I'll visit my friend and post a second opinion later next week. And for those who can't read German, the reviews on the site are mostly positive..good deal for the money, touch not great, but ok, piano sound ok.

Waiting for the review Bogs:)

#1573833 - 12/10/10 08:04 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
Bogs Offline

I couldn't wait anymore, so I went and visited my friend with his brand new piano last night. Unfortunately, I have only bad news. The sound is clear and powerful, it sounds like a piano, but for sure you cannot be fooled it could be a real thing. So the speakers are great, the piano sound is not THAT good, definitely not better than Korg SP250 as I initially thought. But that didn't bother me so much...what bothered me was the playability of the piano. In my opinion, it has very limited dynamic range and the keyboard makes it even more difficult to play dynamics with confidence. I guess it also takes a little bit of time to adjust, but for me it just didn't feel right. Also some of the keys are wobbly or make a distinct sound when you release them and if you keep pressed the E right above middle C, you will hear how it looping a sample that goes from up to down...other keys were ok.
On the positive side, I like the fact that there are so many things you can adjust. It was a slider for the piano sound from mellow to brilliant, which is great! I was amazed to find a soft pedal jack too. Touch can also be adjusted from 0 [can full-hammer action keyboards actually do that!?] to 3.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but a beginner on a budget. For anyone trained on an acoustic, the SP5100 would be a difficult downgrade. Now I know why Korg SP170/250, Yamaha P85/95 and Casio 130/330 are considered entry level digital piano. If you go lower than this, you risk sacrificing too much frown

#1576389 - 12/14/10 05:25 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Bogs]
Ovidiu M Offline

Thanks alot Bogs. You put them out of my mind completely. This is common sense after all. The cheapest of any product as many flaws one has to live with.

#1786255 - 11/10/11 07:04 AM Re: Thomann SP5100/5500! [Re: Ovidiu M]
KgB Offline

I bought SP5500, and I have nothing like described above : "Also some of the keys are wobbly or make a distinct sound when you release them and if you keep pressed the E right above middle C, you will hear how it looping a sample that goes from up to down...other keys were ok."
I am not sure about "dynamic range", but this piano sounds excellent for me.
I bought it for my son, but myself ended up learing how to play. It sounds very nice, there are lots of sounds to choose from.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Belen, AZNpiano, 26 invisible), 1084 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155765 Topics
2286947 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Would you buy a restored water damaged piano?
by upbeat
Today at 01:00 AM
Looking for Complete Gershwin Songbook
by Tony Romo
Today at 12:26 AM
Casio Privia PX850
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:19 AM
You can't make an action lighter
by Del
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
Damper Regulation difficulty
by lotsofquestions
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission