Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1576308 - 12/14/10 01:11 AM Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached?
TylerNB Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I don't know if this is one of those accompianment notes my piano teacher told me about. It is a sixteenth note in the bass clef, and a stem is sticking up from the first sixteenth note with a quarter note head on it. The song I saw this is in called 3rd Mov.:Riku - Scherzo e Intermezzo.
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1576313 - 12/14/10 01:19 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I'm not sure what you mean by "one of those accompaniment notes my teacher told me about." From your description it sounds like a passage of sixteenth-notes has one of the notes to be held for the equivalent of four sixteenth-notes while the sixteenth-note passage continues.

Regards,

#1576315 - 12/14/10 01:20 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
TylerNB Offline

That is what I thought, is there a specific name for that though?
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?

#1576316 - 12/14/10 01:23 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
It's what Bruce said.
The 16th note with the extra stem is a 'more important' note than the other 16th notes, probably a MELODY note in addition to being part of the 16th note figuration. You don't necessarily have to hold it down with your finger, but you need to make sure that the sound of the note is carried forward while you play the other 16th notes.

There isn't any name for it. Sometimes it might be called a "double stem" note, but that's not really a name.

#1576317 - 12/14/10 01:34 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: Mark_C]
TylerNB Offline

Great, well, I was hoping to get this down in Finale Music Maker. I don't know what it is called specifically so I don't know how to add it.
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?

#1576325 - 12/14/10 01:41 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: TylerNB
Great, well, I was hoping to get this down in Finale Music Maker. I don't know what it is called specifically so I don't know how to add it.
Try looking up how to write a note in different voices with different stem directions. Or something like that. smile

#1576331 - 12/14/10 01:54 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Put one of the notes in one layer, then superimpose the other in another layer.

#1576332 - 12/14/10 02:04 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: wr]
TylerNB Offline

Every time I put the note into another layer it just flips the sixteenth note entirely, which I really don't want.
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?

#1576339 - 12/14/10 02:32 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
It seems that Finale tells you how you can do this!
I couldn't get the details for you because I couldn't get the page to "open" on my screen, but I did easily find its existence via google search -- and I imagine you will be able to 'open' it without any trouble. (I found it by using the phrase that I mentioned above, "double stem" -- and it seems that's exactly what Finale calls it.)

Apparently the details are in a section called "Special Tools Palette," and the relevant text begins with: "To create a double stem on a single-stemmed note (top left), click the Double/Split Stem Tool in the Special Tools window (right), and click the handle...."

#1576343 - 12/14/10 02:39 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TylerNB
Every time I put the note into another layer it just flips the sixteenth note entirely, which I really don't want.

Strange - I tried it before I posted that solution, and it worked for me (assuming I am correctly understanding what you are after). Oh, well...looks like Mark has a different solution that may work.

#1576352 - 12/14/10 03:15 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Some of us don’t have current access to the Ricu work ... but here is the opening Grave measures to Beethoven’s Pathetique ... which is peppered with double-flagged “dotted 16th notes” ... has the effect of extending the duration to three-quarters ... leaving the triple-flagged 32nd note to pick up the remaining quarter.

Really must put a few pennies together to buy a new copy of the Beethoven Sonatas ... sorry chaps, but not bad for 50 years of service.

#1576354 - 12/14/10 03:22 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: btb]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb
Some of us don’t have current access to the Ricu work ... but here is the opening Grave measures to Beethoven’s Pathetique ... which is peppered with double-flagged “dotted 16th notes”
BTB: This is about double STEMS, not double flags. The Beethoven example is not really relevant here.

#1576368 - 12/14/10 04:06 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

But might just press the OP to post the dotted 16th note example in his Ricu work.

PS According to WikiPedia a note is composed of the notehead, stem (middle connecting line) and flag ... My reference is to FLAGS ... 2 to 16th notes and 3 to 32nd notes.

#1576381 - 12/14/10 04:44 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
But there's no dotted 16th note, that's not what the question is about. Not about flags either. OTOH your battered score adds a nice picture to the thread smile

In one voice there is a quarter note with stem up, in the other voice there is a figure of (probably) four 16th notes with stems down. The first pitch is shared by both voices, hence 2 stems (one up one down). I hope that makes it clear enough.

The actual question is how to get finale to show this.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1576384 - 12/14/10 04:58 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

And this is final ... I'm plumb igorant on Finale ... but whenever I
get bogged down by one of these technical matters, I call in one of my grandchildren to press the right computer buttons ... it only costs me an ice cream or two.

#1576406 - 12/14/10 06:37 AM Re: Sixteenth note with a quarter note attached? [Re: TylerNB]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
I can do that in Music Publisher and it's a lot cheaper than Finale.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (adanepst, 36251, Almaviva, 40 invisible), 1444 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission