2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks.

Well, I started picking at the piano when I was 4-5, now I had heard a lot of music at home, my mother was a concert pianist as well as a concert singer, so I used to sit in the music room listening to her from an early age, I remember that I wanted to sound like that (her) but I never got a chance; 1 the piano was always occupied by either my mother or my father (composer/conductor), 2 they never gave me any lessons (well, my dad showed me a couple of chords when I was 10 (a II-V which set me off on the jazz path) or encouragement, but I did get to hear a lot of music, and sit in (and sometimes sleep) at rehearsals; big bands, shows, concerts. I also got to meet a lot of musicians, and me futzing around with those two chords the pianist in my father's band took mercy on me and showed me a couple of more chords plus a scale this time.

In my early teens Keith Emerson became my hero, so I started to play in bands.

No, it has never become easier. smile
Actually, the more I played, and the more I learnt it all became harder, that's where the ADD and Dyslexia came a lot more into play. I have my improvisational ability and theoretical knowledge to thank that I made as far as I did, so when I stopped performing (my first child came along) and focused on composing, then music became easier (also thanks to software; remember the Atari and Steinberg 24? smile )

But playing the piano? It's as hard as ever, but thanks to the fact that I have a diagnosis I don't beat myself over the head anymore, I work with my disabilities, learning different strategies, for instance when practising I might practice for two hours, but those two hours are divided in 10 min blocks. Practice 10 mins, then a 2 min short break away from the piano, then 10 more mins, etc. It works wonders.
I practice hands separate, listen a lot to a recording of the piece - so that I internalize the music, when I practice my LH I sing the RH and vice versa (or just sing a single hand), practice the rhythms on a table-top, etc.
Yes it's hard for me to play the piano, but as much as it's hard, I really, really love it.

Originally Posted by Brynden
I have a student who I just moved into Level 3 Alfred's (basic piano course) Her parents thought she had ADD for awhile and she was on medication, but they've taken her off now. All of a sudden it seem's like she is very frustrated with learning new pieces and she doesn't have the confidence she used to. She'll learn the left had and right hand seperately and then be so scared to put them together. We work on a few measures at a time and then I tell her she needs to work on it at home like we did at the lesson - but by the next week she's no further ahead and we just have to work on the next few measures. The last piece she was stuck on for almost 2 months - I finally just let her finish it so we could move on... It almost seems like she's forgotten how to read notes! I've thought about giving her some easy pieces to boost her confidence level? Any advice or ideas?

One counter-intuitive suggestion is to have her try some HARDER pieces. It is typical that people with "ADD" (which by the way if you ask me, is horribly over-diagnosed, and too much medication is being prescribed) are very much right brain dominant. Right brain likes to see the whole picture (beginning to advanced) learn things very generally and holistically, and fill in the details later. It is not like a linear left brain (progress from level 1 to level 2 to 3 etc). Sometimes kids like this are just bored and need to be challenged. Make a note to review the piece she's stuck on in a few months but put it aside for now and move on. It's probably just boredom, not capability.

We always think they have to get everything perfect in a linear fashion, when it might be better to think of their learning like a "loop", in that a few iterations through the same material is what it takes, each time honing on more and more on the details.

Thinking along these same lines, NEW and familiar songs (ones they know from a movie etc) would be great too. A lot of kids need to be fed new things to keep their excitement up; a new book, song, game. The trick with these kids is to tap into their desire and what motivates them. Sometimes, if they are motivated through competition, some healthy games where they compete against themselves will do a lot, as will just something new to grab their attention again.

Go here ---> Piano Teaching Blog
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The funny thing is that I've come to believe that asking an ADD'er to concentrate and try to play the piece perfectly is the WORST thing a teacher or parent can ask! The performance becomes akin to walking into a minefield of wrong notes and slip-ups.

(This is while reading off of music.....and this is despite the fact that many of 'them' have tremendous ability to over-focus.)

I'm wondering if maybe the pencil point method I use gives them something else to look at and softens the hard narrow concentration into something that's more generally aware. (just speculating)

By the way, I got the idea for the technique when I accidentally set the tempo on my Sibelius player too slow and watched the colored note cursor lope across the page.

Does anyone else use a similar technique?

(I generally ask people to internalize by singing, I get some resistance, but it's preferable to using recordings for me.....)

Last edited by Gerard12; 12/16/10 09:41 AM.

Piano instruction and performance
B
Brynden Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have definitely noticed that she does do better if I play the piece for her first so she can hear it.

I sometimes use pointing with the pencil and it seems to help because otherwise she gets lost in the music. Another thing I will do is if the rhythm is tricky in the measure, I'll have her tap it on her lap so she doesn't have to worry about the notes - she just gets the rhythm right first. Or we just do one measure at a time and work on it till she gets it - usually when she can play one part, she repeats it until it's really good.

Chris - I never thought that she may also be dyslexic, but that's a good point - how do you overcome that?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brynden
Chris - I never thought that she may also be dyslexic, but that's a good point - how do you overcome that?

One doesn't. All one can do is learn different strategies, learn that transitions take time (the student comes to you from what? home? school? maybe he/she needs a 5 mins quiet time before he/she starts?), maybe have the student play the RH whilst you play the LH, meditation is really good craft to learn regardless the age.
There's some good literature to read: "Music and Dyslexia: A Positive Approach", "Instrumental Music for Dyslexics" and "Music and Dyslexia: Opening New Doors". It seems that the UK has a lot more going for it regarding Dyslexia and Music. The Royal Academy of Music acknowledges that facts about Dyslexia and take into account regarding a students performance in a vista classes or doing exams.

B
Brynden Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Those are good resources Chris, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission