Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1573971 - 12/10/10 12:10 PM Are there any pianists with successful careers who...
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
switched careers into a completely different field(nothing to do with music)?

I mean pianists who were extremely talented(with probably enough talent to make a good living)but more or less starting out or pianists who were already successful enough to earn a good living from just performing.

I got the idea for this thread from the thread about dropping out of music school. In chess, where it is even much harder to make a living, there are some top notch players who have completely swithced careers for example Patrick Wolf(lawyer?), Reuben Fine(psychiatrist), Isaac kashdan, Michael Wilder(lawyer), Stuart Rachels(professor etc.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/10/10 03:04 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1574014 - 12/10/10 01:06 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
Paderwski quit the concert stage to become a politician and diplomat. He was Prime Minister of Poland and also their ambassador to the League of Nations.

#1574017 - 12/10/10 01:13 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
Opus_Maximus Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Canadian pianist Nadia Cole is now a doctor...the Israeli pianist David-Bar Illan became assistant to Benjamin Netanyahu of the Israeli government..

#1574049 - 12/10/10 01:58 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I know two pianists who took started as university professors and then moved into administration.

Both are now provosts at American universities.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1574062 - 12/10/10 02:29 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I went to college with a guy, damn good pianist, who appeared for the first few weeks, disappeared then turned up for his finals 3 years later! He past them all and demanded his degree, the college turned him down as he had failed to turn up to any classes, whereupon he showed them there was nothing in their constitution that stipulated he had to attend. They handed it over, he went off to postgrad law school!

#1574090 - 12/10/10 03:05 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
oh that was my twin... the one that studied in Europe.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1574131 - 12/10/10 04:05 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

People who play piano well are usually smart people.
That is why so many smart people if they had the opportunity to learn how to play piano, they play piano well.

Till today, I have never met people who can play piano well and dumb.

Look at the finalists of any amateur piano competitions, most of them have very high education, many doctors, PhDs, etc, for example our Marc C.

#1574270 - 12/10/10 07:18 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I heard Evgeny Kissin is taking a two year sabbatical from piano (still performing but not his usual 60 concerts a year) and is now devoting his time the Jewish vs. Palestinian problems in Jerusaelm (pardon my awful spelling). In an interview, he was asked if he wanted to take up a political career and he replied: "Am I interested in politics? Yes. As for participation: I have no such plans. But I cannot exclude the possibility that if the time comes and I feel the need to speak out on which I find important, I may do so." It's amazing how eloquent he is.

#1574875 - 12/11/10 05:54 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: RonaldSteinway]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
People who play piano well are usually smart people.
That is why so many smart people if they had the opportunity to learn how to play piano, they play piano well.

Till today, I have never met people who can play piano well and dumb.
Look at the finalists of any amateur piano competitions, most of them have very high education, many doctors, PhDs, etc, for example our Marc C.
I know them too well...

Edited by dolce sfogato (12/11/10 05:55 PM)

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1574963 - 12/11/10 08:15 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
feebeeliszt Offline

Loc: London
Is there any completely opposite case? i.e. they dropped out from other career (nothing to do with music) to become a pianist

#1574995 - 12/11/10 09:22 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
JustAnotherPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Pogo stopped concertizing for a few years in order to go into jewelry design...

#1575008 - 12/11/10 10:13 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: JustAnotherPianist]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: JustAnotherPianist

While this is true, I'm not so sure he stopped in order TO take up jewelry design, but rather took up jewelry design as a result of the stoppage in his performing career. At least that's the way I understood it.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1575012 - 12/11/10 10:28 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful careers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
At the height of his career, in 1969, the Brazilian virtuoso João Carlos Martins "was knocked down during a soccer match, and hurt his arm to the point of a painful neuralgia, so that he had to stop playing piano. But in a surprising change of direction, he went into banking, managed a champion prizefighter, started a construction company, and became a multimillionaire in devalued Brazilian currency. An even more surprising development followed when, in 1981, he was appointed to the post of the Brazilian state secretary of culture; in this capacity, he exhibited an extraordinary knack for urban recovery in the direction of futuristic Americanization." (From his bio)

#1575026 - 12/11/10 11:12 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful careers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Albert Wong was a child prodigy who recorded the Bach Well-Tempered Clavier when he was 11. After an accident at age 12 he entered college and majored in science, where he specialized in developing new drug delivery systems.

#1575059 - 12/12/10 12:54 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful careers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Alberto Reyes is both a concert pianist as well as an interpreter at the United Nations.

#1575075 - 12/12/10 01:40 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: feebeeliszt]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
feebeejk,

Originally Posted By: feebeejk
Is there any completely opposite case? i.e. they dropped out from other career (nothing to do with music) to become a pianist

Closest I've heard to this is James Rhodes .

He'd had lessons until the age of 18 but, I believe, had a large bucket full of "issues".

"... at 18 I abandoned the piano entirely and did not touch a note for over 10 years. Instead I went to work in the City in the, as it turns out false, belief that making hideous amounts of money would make up for the loss of my abandoned career as a pianist"

I know nothing about him, other than I enjoyed the BBC documentary shown a few weeks ago in which he featured, about Chopin (filmed in the original locations and salons). He seems to be carving out a Russell Brand style niche for himself.

Perhaps he fits the bill for both yours and the OPs?

Edited by EJR (12/12/10 05:25 AM)

Daily ramblings....

#1575086 - 12/12/10 01:56 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful careers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965) gave up a career as organist, pianist, music scholar in France/Germany to become a medical missionary in Africa.

#1575093 - 12/12/10 02:11 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful careers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Denny Zeitlin is both a pianist and psychiatrist. Wim Statius Muller taught music before becoming an intelligence officer for NATO.

#1575133 - 12/12/10 04:17 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: feebeeliszt]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: feebeejk

Not from scratch. They had to have had some connection with the piano or music at some earlier point in their life, I think.

#1575137 - 12/12/10 04:40 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: JustAnotherPianist]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JustAnotherPianist

I have heard that Alexis Weissenberg had another career designing greeting cards.

Thalberg retired early and became a winemaker.

#1575765 - 12/13/10 06:29 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
j.brook Offline

Imre Antal became an actor and comic after an incurable illness of his hands ended his musical career.

#1575792 - 12/13/10 07:53 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
Liszt also priest lol

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1575809 - 12/13/10 08:41 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Not quite what the OP is talking about, but in some countries (Israel and Korea for example), mandatory military service means that almost all musicians from those countries had to take a year or two off to serve their country's military.

Even Ravel joined the war effort for a time, composing relatively little during those years.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1575817 - 12/13/10 08:58 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
... and now everyone in the military has to wake up to that hideous Rav-eille.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1575843 - 12/13/10 10:03 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: Batuhan]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Batuhan
Liszt also priest lol
Yes, but he didnlt give up music.

#1575846 - 12/13/10 10:09 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: Piano*Dad]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
... and now everyone in the military has to wake up to that hideous Rav-eille.

Ouch.

#1575873 - 12/13/10 10:59 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
ConcertEtudes Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

I got the idea for this thread from the thread about dropping out of music school. In chess, where it is even much harder to make a living, there are some top notch players who have completely swithced careers for example Patrick Wolf(lawyer?), Reuben Fine(psychiatrist), Isaac kashdan, Michael Wilder(lawyer), Stuart Rachels(professor etc.

Also staying on chess players, Mark Taimanov (Soviet grandmaster) went to Leningrad conservatory and could have been/was a concert pianist.

#1579297 - 12/18/10 08:17 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
hoffy Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
I am not sure whether he ever made money from it or whether you would consider that he had a successful career at it, but the late Formula One driver, Elio de Angelis, was considered to be a concert standard pianist.

Unfortunately, he was killed in 1986 behind the wheel of his race car in a testing accident.

#1579331 - 12/18/10 09:27 AM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: pianoloverus]
scotpgot Offline

Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice was supposedly a concert pianist. Though, I don't know if it was ever viable as a "career option" for her.

#1579387 - 12/18/10 12:01 PM Re: Are there any pianists with successful carrers who... [Re: scotpgot]
EDV Offline

Originally Posted By: scotpgot
Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice was supposedly a concert pianist. Though, I don't know if it was ever viable as a "career option" for her.

I think she could have been a jazz master...

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, 29 invisible), 1378 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295415 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
44 minutes 14 seconds ago
Learning progress
by sunnyday
49 minutes 29 seconds ago
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission