2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
R
OP Offline
R
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cul...king-walt-disney-concert-hall-debut.html

This makes me so sad. I wasn't even aware this had happened.

If they cut off both hands, I will compose music anyway holding the pen in my teeth. - Shostakovich
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
He went to the wrong place. He should have come to Canada instead!

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I suppose he should have stuck to playing the piano, rather than emulating those actors who feel their political views are as popular as their movies.

It's amazing how many people take the freedom of speech America grants, and then uses it to trash it. Biting the hand that feeds - especially for a touring foreign pianist who is making money off of America.

Oh well. I just would have been annoyed at missing out on Brahms and having to listen to Grazyna Bacewicz instead ha!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
that story was posted a while ago.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm.... I bet he had a lot of refunds to give!

What an interesting story. The piano bit was quite harsh, but the whole way he acted did seem quite unprofessional.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo
It's amazing how many people take the freedom of speech America grants, and then uses it to trash it. Biting the hand that feeds - especially for a touring foreign pianist who is making money off of America.

And some Americans still don't understand why that happens...and think it's everyone else's fault.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

People go to Zimmerman's concerts because they want to, not because they're doing him a favour. Biting the hand that feeds it?

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I think this story would have elicited a VERY different response if it had been an American pianist refusing to go to some foreign country because their customs agents destroyed his piano and that same foreign country (not a US ally) had large army bases in New York and California.

Regarding freedom of speech: the United States did not grant Mr Zimerman anything, it only recognized a right he already has because he is alive.

It is not a favour to be allowed to play in the United States, it is a business deal. Zimerman has concluded that the deal is not worth it for him because of various kinds of high costs of doing business there. This "hand that fed him" was holding a knife, as far as he was concerned.

Interesting that the OP focuses on that part of the story ("piano destroyed"), because there's another major part also. Of course it's possible that the more recent thing arose in part from what was done to his piano after 9/11, although maybe that's being too analytic.

I hadn't heard any of these things, and it's all interesting. I'll refrain from taking a stand on any of it, because that's not what I'm here for (which of course is also a main possible objection to what he did at the concert), but I don't mind others doing it and I'll be interested to see the views.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Same thing happened to Jack Gibbons a couple times, and here's a blog by him talking about it: http://jackgibbons.blogspot.com/2010/03/zimermans-anti-american-tirade.html

Online Content
I don't think Gibbons and Zimerman will be doing many two piano concerts together in the near future.

I don't really think a concert is a good time for discussing one's political views. In fact, someone as famous in the classical music world as Zimerman might have been able to convince more people of his views in an essay or interview.

I also find it strange that customs could think the smell of glue in Zimerman's piano was so suspicious that it merited destruction of the piano.

Thanks OSK for giving the link to Gibbons' blog. I didn't know he had one.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/19/10 06:10 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, since he comes from Poland he probably has more personal family history with a bordering country that took up residence in his native land. Some guests come uninvited and just don't know when to leave. smile

When the US decides to visit a county without an invitation we always seem to think that it's OK even if our stay turns out to be completely bogus.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You're welcome, pl (may I just abbreviate your name to that? Most just call me OSK or Soda anyway). I enjoy reading his blog posts.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Well, since he comes from Poland he probably has more personal family history with a bordering country that took up residence in his native land. Some guests come uninvited and just don't know when to leave. smile

When the US decides to visit a county without an invitation we always seem to think that it's OK even if our stay turns out to be completely bogus.

A history of being conquered by other countries is no excuse, especially for a person with such an international career and exposure to so many cultures and countries.

Besides, his own country has invited the US presence. A US presence was never forced on Poland.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I don't really think a concert is a good time for discussing one's political views. In fact, someone as famous in the classical music world as Zimerman might have been able to convince more people of his views in an essay or interview.

I agree. Unfortunately outbursts like this happen when a person is unable to make sense of emotions they're having; either they don't have support and should see a therapist or, frankly, they're just not smart enough to make sense of everything they're experiencing and do the rational thing.

It's borderline mental illness. Gibbons compares it to anti-Semitism, which is not far off. Recently some people have been referring, I think correctly, to anti-Semitism as a kind of illness.

Last edited by charleslang; 12/19/10 07:04 PM.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I wouldn't say anti-semitism is an illness, it's more of just an indulgence in the wrong choice, brought on by a vareity of reasons. It's normal; people do the same thing all the time but not necessary against a specific group of people (ie Jews). Maybe they do it to gain some sense of power? which is a normal human reaction to counter their insecurity.
Not that i'm a psychologist or anything, just my opinion.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I may have digressed, in which case i apologise!! Sorry.

F
F
"Since then he has shipped his pianos in parts, which he reassembles by hand after he lands. He also drives the truck himself when he carries his instrument from city to city over land, as he did after playing a recital in Berkeley on Friday."

OK, between that activity and various weird comments in interviews ("Today's recording techniques are too good"), not to mention the political outbursts at concerts, I think he's just plain nuts. I now feel better than ever for selling one of his out of print CDs (Brahms' Sonatas) on Amazon for $75!!

Yama B3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock

People go to Zimmerman's concerts because they want to, not because they're doing him a favour. Biting the hand that feeds it?

Zimmerman makes money by touring - probably a lot more money than his recordings bring him. It's usually the same for any musician, whether they are classical, rock, or pop - albums just increase public awareness for the inevitable tours. They are usually willing to let the record company make the larger amount of money on the albums, knowing that they'll be making more on their tours.

So, yes - you are biting the hand that feeds when you throw a temper tantrum on stage and declare your disdain for the people who are paying you money. It's disrespectful to the audience, the venue which is hosting you, and to the country that permits you to legally perform and earn money in that country. There's no such thing as a natural-right to enter another country and then earn money - it's usually granted through a legal process involving much paper work, and it's not considered a 'right'. The same applies to freedom of speech - it's a legal right granted through the process of law, not something nature has bestowed on people. It's entirely up to the whim of whoever is in power, whether that right is granted or not.

Anyways, the point I was making is that it's silly to bite the hand that feeds. I hope that clarified things... He'll just have to make up for the lost revenue by focusing on non-American venues, obviously. It's just a shame when musicians enter into politics. Do what you do best, concert pianists: play the piano and leave the politics alone. It's annoying when composers start tackling politics, not to mention musicians getting in on the act....

laugh

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
^^ make that 'it's annoying when ANYBODY starts tackling politics....it's an ugly zone.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Originally Posted by charleslang
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Well, since he comes from Poland he probably has more personal family history with a bordering country that took up residence in his native land....
A history of being conquered by other countries is no excuse....

It may or may not be an excuse, depending on what we mean by that, but it's a reason.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission