Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1580216 - 12/19/10 06:38 PM Pipe Organ Info
Abram Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Hello everyone. Just joined the forum. Anyways, I've got an old Pipe Organ I rescued from a Methodist church that was going to destroy it. It's missing the console and the blower but everything else is there.
I was wondering if there is a way to find out who made it, when it was made, and any other information on it. I have not found any makers plate or anything else that might give a clue to that or any other information on it. I assume that was all on the console.
I assume it was made circa 1927-28 as the part of the church it was in was completed in 1928, and I also found out that the console was destroyed in a fire in 1960 but thats all I know about it.
I would really like to get this organ set up and working again someday, but for now it just sitting around taking up space.

Thanks for any help with this.

Edited by Abram (12/19/10 06:40 PM)

#1580341 - 12/19/10 11:06 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Got any pics of it? Notice any words or tags anywhere on the instrument?

Sounds quite interesting! Would love to learn more about it!

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1580775 - 12/20/10 05:28 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Abram Offline

I have several pages of pictures on photobucket.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x253/AZA_-/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

There are numbers stamped on most of the pieces of wood, but I haven't found anything else.

The reason I got this organ for free was the Building our church rents was remodeling this summer and when I asked them what they were going to do with the organ they said the contractor was going to remove it.
When I asked them if I could have it if I removed it, they said I can have whatever I could get before the contractor starts work.
So my dad and brother helped me get the entire thing out of the church within the month timeframe we had to work.

Theres 13 ranks and about 640 or so pipes.

Edited by Abram (12/20/10 07:37 PM)

#1581464 - 12/21/10 02:28 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Wow Thanks for the photos! I cant say I can identify it, but it really looks great! I would say for free is an awesome deal you got yourself! Congrats!

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1581545 - 12/21/10 04:47 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
mrenaud Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Organ builders sometimes put a signature somewhere on a pipe, maybe you can find one. I'd say early 20th century looks about right.

The pipework looks as if it's still in good shape, but the windchests might be another matter. Do you know what kind of chests they are? If your organ is indeed from the 1920s, you're probably looking at membrane chests with electro-pneumatic actions. The membranes are usually made of leather and need regular replacement, and if your organ has been untouched for 50 years, they've probably crumbled to dust already. And the wiring looks scary too. You've probably guessed so already, but that's quite a restoration job you're looking at there. But it's not going to be as expensive as a new organ and you've got free pipes and windchests already (and parts of the casing, as it looks like), so you've got quite a good deal I'd say.

#1581803 - 12/21/10 11:03 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: mrenaud]
Abram Offline

Thanks for the replies guys! I will check the pipes for a signature. Is there anything else that might tell me who made it?
Not all the pipes are in good condition. There are 3 broken ones and several that are bent or have bad dents in them.
And yes it is an electroneumatic organ. I haven't looked inside the chests.
The leather on most of the bellows for the chimes have crumbled away so I would imagine its probably about the same in the windchests.

I have the entire frame work for the organ and the veins also. So if I ever get a room big enough to set it up the original way it shouldn't be to bad.

We had a lot of fun removing the organ (especially blowing on the pipes to see what they sound like) and I got a free working player piano out of the church too, so it was an even better deal.
I know very little about pipe organs, but I've sure learned a lot with this one so far.

Edited by Abram (12/21/10 11:15 PM)

#1583558 - 12/24/10 06:43 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
You do have quite a job ahead of you. It does look like a fairly sizable organ. A place that I like to surf is Churchorgantrader.com. You can get all kinds of parts. You will probably need some advice and I am not sure if you can get that there. The American Guild of Organists and American Pipe Organ Builders Assoc. would also be good resources for help. Keep looking for a name. I am assuming that the blower is an Orgoblower by Spenser. Those can be rebuilt if you are handy enough. Good luck.

#1586290 - 12/29/10 08:38 AM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
what a wonderfully fun project. The pictures are awesome. Even unplayable.. it would make a lovely decoration for a home interior

(have you visited the 'House on the Rock'? There are many vintage instruments there and it might be somewhat in your neighborhood.

I wish you the best of luck. There is an organ forum and there is a rebuilding section there.

http://www.organforum.com/forums/forumdi...bef6452b5cfbd44

Edited by apple* (12/29/10 08:40 AM)

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1588037 - 12/31/10 07:23 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
Abram Offline

Thanks for the info so far.
No I've never been to the house on the rock, never really had enough interest to stop I guess.
I haven't found any signatures on the pipes. Theres writing on the windchests but I figure that has to do with assembling it.
I have several of the large wooden pipes just standing in the corners and a rank of metal ones set up at my parents house, and also several ranks set up at my house. They do make great decorations.

Edited by Abram (12/31/10 07:26 PM)

#1593582 - 01/08/11 09:21 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
Jim Berna Offline

Loc: Fayette City,PA. 15438
I work on pipe organs and if you can describe what the playing action of the chestwork looks like, I may have an answer for you! If the chestwork has small leather covered pneumatics in it, It may be Tellers or if the action has a center rod with the pouch at the bottom and the oppoisite end the pallet pad it could be a kilgen! See what your interior chest is like and let me know!!

Jim Berna
Tuner-Technician

#1597004 - 01/13/11 09:15 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
Abram Offline

Sorry I took so long to reply. Been busy busy. Anyway it has leather covered pneumatic valves in the chests.

#1718900 - 07/22/11 06:21 PM Re: Pipe Organ Info [Re: Abram]
NFexec Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
It is very likely that all of the leather in this organ will need to be replaced. There are various sources for this material, and I will tell you it is not inexpensive. The reservoirs all appear to be borderline ready to blow apart due to age and dryness of the leather - especially at the corners and hinge sections.

Take a look at the small electric magnets that are part of the windchests (underneath +/or at one side) as they might have the mfgr name on them. Or if you are still on this thread, take pictures of the magnets and we'll see if they can be identified.

A console might be moderately inexpensive if you can find one that's in parts. You should also probably be able to find a used, but serviceable, blower. The question will be what wind pressures the pipes are voiced at and an estimate of what amount of CFM's you will need.

In any event... there are other sources out there for you to utilize on restoring this instrument. Good luck with it!

Doug

What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (36251, ajames, 46 invisible), 1734 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156124 Topics
2292676 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy and Tag! - student level pieces
by Axtremus
Today at 09:46 AM
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
Today at 08:56 AM
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
Today at 08:53 AM
Tag!
by Axtremus
Today at 08:53 AM
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
Today at 08:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission