2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Nikolas
... (incidently if you recall a student who doesn't like lessons, and didn't like classic era sonatas that's her)...

Err... I remember you posting about this girl. Not to go off on a tangent, but... is it possible that her possibly highly critical, not knowing when to keep her mouth shut, ex-piano-teaching grandmother might have something to do with her hating lessons?

With the description you gave, I can picture the grandmother being highly critical of the girl's playing... and pretty much killing any joy that she'd have.

Anyway - sorry to hear all this happened. Poor 15 year old! It might be a good time to explain to her that some people are not very nice, and often when we encounter these people, their comments have much more to do with THEM then US, even if they happen to be aiming at us wink

Good luck with it...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the comments.

The 15 year old is doing fine I think. I called her last night (Sunday, but who cares? ;)) and she sounded... rather fine. She did tell me that she wasn't well after the recital, but she changed her mind over the next day to something like this: "Instead of crying I decided to be stubborn, do better and carry my books with me at all times. If someone pulls something like this to me I'll hand over the books and call them on stage to perform it 'better'"! YAY for her!

And, of course, I believe that the granddaughter (2 "d"s?) is having troubles because of the granny. So I think that on Thursday (the time of HER lessons) it's time for a lengthy chat with parents and child... Oh boy this is going to be nice... brrrr...

In either way, if the comment was coming at me, for allowing the 15 year old to play and not give a perfrect performance, I can handle it perfectly! Only it didn't seem this way. (I'll check for her brain condition, while discussing thing btw...)

Again thank you for the comments! (It was my first recital as a teacher by the way).

Jeff: The granny's family is NOT like that! They are quite nice, and encouraging to the child. They are not mean by any chance and the rest of their children have turned up ok (I think).

Last edited by Nikolas; 12/20/10 02:43 AM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Jeff: The granny's family is NOT like that! They are quite nice, and encouraging to the child. They are not mean by any chance and the rest of their children have turned up ok (I think)."

And there goes our chance for the coolest recital ever, where we get to see someone's tongue pulled out for talking during the performance.

Clef

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Nikolas
(I'll check for her brain condition, while discussing thing btw...)

Personally I'd keep the "brain condition" thing out of it, best not to cloud the central issue, which is, that for whatever reason, her behaviour was unacceptable. If the family wants to offer up a medical condition as an explanation, fine. But even if that is the case, I don't think it's appropriate for her to behave in that manner during a kids recital.

After recently having an experience at a recital where some parents where behaving in a very "clueless" fashion and frankly ruining things for most of the other folks (and performers), I'm all for teachers being very explicit about the "rules for conduct" during these events. And to also be explicit about the fact that the parents are responsible for any guest also following these rules.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission