2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gisele Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a student who has played for about a year and a half. She can read music but is too eager to finish the song for me (or maybe to finish her practice time) that she will not figure out what the notes are.

Her parents thought that maybe she couldn't read music. When I asked her, she could name them but it slowed her down alot. I have no problem with that, since I know she's learning but she doesn't want to be slowed down. She knows all the shortcut codes but doesn't want to take the time to count how far up the staff the note is. I'm sure you know what I mean.

She is a very bright student and has "tricked" me into thinking she knows the notes but instead she memorizes the tune and figures out approximately where the notes are.

What can her parents and I do to help her really learn the notes? Is there any method out there that is specifically faster? Her parents are willing to do whatever it takes, even if that means spending more times on flash cards during the week than practicing.

Gisele

Gisele Sum, gsum82-piano@hotmail.com
Piano and Theory Teacher
Principal Church Organist and/or Choir Accompaniment
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
New pieces all the time, and many many many short bits of sight reading. The best ones would be easy but unpredictable (starting on a strange note, using unexpected finger numbers, bass clef with right hand, treble clef with left hand, mixing steps & skips in unusual ways, and so on - not all of these in one piece of course!).

Naming notes is a different skill, which apparently she can already do. (That is, I think I wouldn't really worry about it too much at this point.)

The Mikrokosmos series by Bartok is good for this, along with method books she didn't use, and books of elementary sight reading exercises. Also, elementary sight singing books can be used away from the piano for variety.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
S
S
I'm running into similar issues with students. But rather than a "time" issue (i.e. that want to get done faster), it seems to be simple carelessness. Either that, or somehow when I'm sitting next to them they are smarter than when they are at home alone. wink

I am eager to see the responses. One thing I might add is that she needs to make sure it's not an "issue" if she needs to take some time to figure a note out. Heck, I still have to count leger lines every once in awhile. Make sure the ego isn't taking any hits, and you might find more patience.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
For some students, the temptation to "take a guess and get it over with" becomes too great for them to resist.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I keep a copy of "Sight Reading / A Line a Day" (Bastien) by my piano. When I have a student who doesn't seem to be trying hard enough, I pull out the book. The student has to play one line (chosen at random) perfectly the first time - rhythm and notes. If not, he repeats till he gets it. And then we try another. We keep going until he can play a random line perfectly the first time.

It sounds like punishment, but the few students I use it with actually seem to enjoy the challenge. And even if it takes us several lines of music (this is easy stuff) before he gets it, we haven't wasted any time because we've been practicing sightreading.

Another thing I will do occasionally, especially if I think the student is relying on muscle memory - I will have them play the melody line of a piece... with one finger. Again, we go over and over it until it is correct all the way through.

Last edited by Lollipop; 12/22/10 05:34 PM.

piano teacher
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
That's very clever Lollipop!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gisele
She knows all the shortcut codes but doesn't want to take the time to count how far up the staff the note is. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Gisele

Literally counting up on the staff? What are shortcut codes?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Mnemomics, like Every Good Boy Does Fine.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Gisele
She knows all the shortcut codes but doesn't want to take the time to count how far up the staff the note is. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Gisele

Literally counting up on the staff? What are shortcut codes?
You know, Big Chickens Don't Yell Angrily and that type of stuff. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
I agree, many short pieces. A lot of new notes in different positions is great. Try separating the lessons into songs for reading and songs for playing. The songs for playing will be focusing only on playing and you will not worry if she is reading. Songs for reading will be, saying and counting out loud first, then playing. If they can't complete these songs within one week of practicing, the songs are too hard, either because they are not going to practice it or because it is too much reading info for them. Also, i agree that sight reading within the lesson is great.

Here's a game that might help. The best part I find is that its fun for kids (and adults!). So they don't mind slowing down to read the notes.

Direct link

Go here ---> Piano Teaching Blog

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission