2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner

Here is an example: I ate corn flakes for breakfast. Mechanical pencils are far superior to wooden ones. The air conditioning in the car felt great. Those that do not use mechanical pencils are behind the times. I did not have to dodge any deer on the way to work. Using wooden pencils is a waste of resources.

smile well, I wouldn't personally take offense from any of the lines above. Possibly the "behind the times" might bug me, but then again, all are entitled to their opinion.

(Having a bad day, all of the above might get to me)

Last edited by pppat; 07/25/11 04:50 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, and by the way, anybody interested in talking about hammer technique, honoring the thread?

I think Bill's technique is outstanding. Have a problem with it personally, because I feel-I-have-to-feel the pin all the way through. If not, I get unsure.

Anybody?

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rockin'88

I love it when the grown-ups fight.

When you find the grown-ups in this thread let us all know.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dan: an easy remark to make. Pin-point any juvenile stuff instead, then we can have a constructive discussion.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pppat
.......... then we can have a constructive discussion.

If such a thing did exist here, there would be a lot more experienced techs on this board.

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t waste any of my valuable time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos
Originally Posted by pppat
.......... then we can have a constructive discussion.

If such a thing did exist here, there would be a lot more experienced techs on this board.

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t waste any of my valuable time.

If so, you are wasting time right now, entering syllables here. Do not feel obliged in any way smile

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Patrick,

I typically use the jerk method with my tuning hammer. That's the way I was taught. But, I also use the tap tap method similar to what Bill uses and it does work very well. It doesn't take much effort to get a string to move and to be in tune. The biggest effort is making sure the note is stable and set. Of course, it depends on the piano I'm tuning at the moment too. Some pianos just fall right into place very easily with no effort whereas others need a little bit of coaxing and others, a LOT of coaxing! My dad always said, let the piano know who's boss. Take control. When that happens, you are in control of what happens to the pin, string and the rest of the piano in tuning. Of course, some pianos are persistently pesky, but for the most part, when we take control of the tuning hammer, it is we, who are in control of that tuning pins destiny regardless of which method we use. Each of us must find a method that works best for us and that method may very well not be what I use. But, then again, it might... Trial and error works best. The more we fool around with the pin, going back and forth, back and forth, the less stable the pin and the string, becomes. The sooner we can get it in tune, the better all the way around. We are finished sooner, we make more money, the piano stays in tune longer and everyone is happier.

When raising pitch, I do not always go above first and then down and in tune. If the pin sets as it's going in tune, great, it's in tune and then I'm done.

Currently, I am considering purchasing a Cyber Tuning impact hammer. Loren uses one and boasts that it is wonderful. I tried Dean's at the convention. I was amazed at how easily it bumped the pin and string right in tune and with so little effort. I think in a few weeks, I will buy one.

There, that's my contribution. Did it help any? smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Jerry,
I for one found it helpful!

I seem to recall from the "4 techs" video that when Bill is doing his "tap tap" method, he just nudges the pin/string into tune without needing to go above pitch and finish with a counterclockwise movement. I am assuming that there is something about this technique which promotes pin setting, in addition to string setting?

If so, would seem to potentially save time during a tuning. A couple seconds saved at each string could add up.

Steve W
Omaha, NE
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, it adds up very quickly indeed. If we saved 3 seconds on each string x 200 some strings adds up to quite a bit of saved time. Over 600 seconds. I think that is about 10 minutes +.

Using small incremental movements not GIANT movements when tuning unless you're raising pitch 1/2 tone, will lead you to an in tune piano quicker than jumping all over the place going past "in tune" 6 different times. Or, one quick, accurately placed movement, giant or not, will bring you close to being in tune after which you can tap tap tap the remainder of the way. Or, jerk, jerk, jerk.

We are of course, striking the string at the same time with the hammer because we strike the key each time we are moving the pin. Each movement requires another hit of the string to check it and to check the tuning. The key is to try and set the pin at the exact same moment you put the string in tune. With practice, it can be done.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jer,

I kind of thought that you would go for the impact hammer smile smile
Please let me know if it worked out for you.

By the way, I have passed on the rumor of this guy I know who can pitch raise in six minutes. They all go "Wow" and I feel proud smile

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Ah, we're back on topic! smile Yes, all pianos are different, and all react differently to various techniques. There are ones where you can go right to it and it's there, and then there are others that, well....

Jerry, glad you're thinking about the Cyberhammer! You'll love it, I'm surel Its been a lifesaver for me; no more coming home with a sore shoulder and arm. I'm debating now on whether or not to get a grand Cyberhammer or a Fujan for grands, On one hand, $900, on the other hand, $400....

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Put a lid on it Jeff. Stop looking for and creating trouble. Go into your own thread instead of highjacking this one.

Jerry:

You don't get it. Bill was hijacking this hammer technique thread into a temperament sequence thread. THAT is what triggered my objection.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Put a lid on it Jeff. Stop looking for and creating trouble. Go into your own thread instead of highjacking this one.

Jerry:

You don't get it. Bill was hijacking this hammer technique thread into a temperament sequence thread. THAT is what triggered my objection.

Jeff,

I can see how you perceived that but really the two topics are inter-related. Hammer technique is used to tune a temperament as well as the rest of the piano, is it not? I related how I helped a struggling exam hopeful who had spent an hour trying to tune a temperament but failed. I had worked with him over several years. He could not tune a successful temperament without changing his strategy. The night before the exam, changing his hammer technique strategy proved to be the key to his success.

I am not deliberately "bashing" cycle of 5ths ET sequences. I have only tried to point out and demonstrate why for some people (certainly not all), such approaches have not worked. I could use one just as successfully as you or the many people who use them do.

However, after many years (now 20) of serving as an examiner and witnessing rather consistent trends among those who pass and those who fail, I believe I know and thoroughly understand what the problems are and have sought solutions to them. Apparently, those efforts have been successful.

Those efforts and the reporting of them, both in hammer technique and temperament sequence are not intended to demean, mock or ridicule you or anyone else who uses traditional/classic methods in any way. I have said this repeatedly, yet the mere mention of a modern strategy is called "bashing".

You or anyone else is invited to start an in depth thread on classic/traditional methods, what it takes to use them and perfect them. Let technicians try both sides of the issue and decide for themselves which works best for them.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT

I reiterate: What I learned in 1979 to be the "most mechanically correct" method proved to be true for me. Anyone is invited to demonstrate and/or prove that any other methods are superior.

Yes, back to the subject.

Bill: How was it explained to you why this is the "most mechanically correct" method? I am not so much interested in why YOU think so as why those that taught you thought so.

[Edit:] Didn't mean to crosspost, Bill.

Last edited by UnrightTooner; 07/26/11 09:34 AM.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bill:

I stand by original comment about you bashing 4ths and 5ths tuning and tuners and changing the subject:

I know why the traditional sequence does not work for many people and have explained why it does not work many times. It may well be true that some technicians successfully tune a piano using a traditional sequence and a slow pull hammer technique. Inevitably, however, these are the people who take far longer to tune a piano than those who use a much more efficient and mechanically correct technique. The temperament sequence is analogous. Compounded and cumulative errors are inevitable with that method and they take much more time and skill to sort out and correct than a sequence that leads one far closer to perfection on the first attempt at tuning each string.

The highlighted sentences show that you do not consider 4ths and 5ths tuning or a slow pull hammer technique to be viable alternatives at all. Piggybacking one on top of another is doubly insulting. You only give lip service to the idea that other methods have their place. Doing so makes it worse yet. I do not believe you are sincere in saying:

I am not deliberately "bashing" cycle of 5ths ET sequences. I have only tried to point out and demonstrate why for some people (certainly not all), such approaches have not worked.

But this does not mean we cannot still discuss the subject. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
I give up on this thread. Jeff keeps bringing up 4ths and 5ths. This could have been a good thread about Bill's hammer technique.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I criticize someone else for bringing up 4ths and 5ths and then get blamed as if I was the one that brought it up! Well, I can’t take that sort of thing seriously either.

HaHaHaHaHaHa!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Whatever, Jeff. The fact remains that we were doing fine until you started with your personal slam against Bill. Why don't you just start a Personal Slam Against Bill thread and leave us to discuss his hammer technique?

DiGiorgi Piano Service
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
I criticize someone else for bringing up 4ths and 5ths and then get blamed as if I was the one that brought it up! Well, I can’t take that sort of thing seriously either.

HaHaHaHaHaHa!

That's my point. You showed up to criticize.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Ok. Stop feeding the trolls and back on topic..

DiGiorgi Piano Service
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission