2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1586116 12/29/10 12:59 AM
OP Offline
I recently tuned a Yamaha Grand that the last octave from C7 to C8 had candle wax spilled onto the tuning pins and the area right around them.

The piano tuned right up, but I'm not sure how to get that wax out of that area around the tuning pins and plate. Naturally its on the strings too.

I thought about taking my heat gun on the lowest setting I could use to just melt the wax and try to soak it up with paper towel or vacuum it with my shop vac.

Anyone ever run into this? Any better suggestions? Leave it and let them keep playing? Seems to me more a cosmetic problem than anything else.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Actually, I offer for consideration the opposite approach, Freeze Spray*. You can get it at electronics supply houses. It has a nozzle for accuracy and should make the wax very brittle so it can be shattered and you can use a vacuum to get the bits out.

I'm not a tech and have only done this to gum in a carpet where it worked fabulously.

Kurt

*in electronics freeze spray is used to force thermal cycling for troubleshooting.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Heat gun?.... I don't think so.

If you use a heat gun won't the wax melt and possibly contaminate the pin block? Does that seem like a good idea? Seems fraught with danger to me. Why not sharpen/bevel a hammer shank and use it as a scraper to remove the majority of the wax? A brisk wiping with a cloth will remove it from any unwound strings.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I would leave whatever does not scrape or wipe off. It will not harm anything.

Semipro Tech
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
freeze spray is a good idea. Had a customer once tell me of a mystious disappearence of a huge candle left burning on a old upright over a day or two. Found just a bit of wax on the keyblock. I pulled the fall and lifted the keys and here was 2 pounds of wax encasing a mouse nest.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I have accidentally dripped wax on my piano before (only the outside of the cabinet, lucky me...)

If you melt it, it will run where you don't want it, and even what you think you have wiped up will still leave a coating. Either freeze-spray and crack it off, or make very careful use of a scraper, or just leave it alone, depending on the location and amount. If you get a scraper with a nice smooth blade you can carefully "shave" the majority of the wax off of a smooth surface.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
OP Offline
That's why I'm asking here. In 30 some years of this work I haven't ever run into this.

My inclination is to leave it alone. It's not hurting anything and with the music desk in place it can't be seen.

Does bother the customer though so I told her I would think about how to get it out.

But I see some ideas that combined might do the trick better than my first thought.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Roy

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roy Rodgers

My inclination is to leave it alone. It's not hurting anything...

Your inclination is correct. Who knows what spray freeze would do to the coils, the plate gilding, and the tuning pins....

B
BDB Offline
B
Mineral spirits (paint thinner) will dissolve wax, but you have to be careful that it does not affect other things.

Semipro Tech
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies. I visited with the owner, and since it is not hurting anything, and there isn't big globs of it, we will just leave it be. It's hidden anyway when the music desk is in place.

She was worried because her last tech would not tune the last octave of the piano because of the wax.

I didn't have any problems tuning it, so I'm not sure what the other tech thought. But she just moved back to my area and has known me forever and so it looks like another old customer is back.

Thanks again guys. I just wondered if anyone else had ever run across this type problem.

Roy

Last edited by Roy Rodgers; 12/29/10 06:07 PM.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Sounds like the other tech didn't feel like tuning the top octave, and found an easy out. smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roy Rodgers

I just wondered if anyone else had ever run across this type problem.
Roy

Quite a bit actually.For the most part I just vacuum out what I can and then wait until they decide to restore or replace.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I've run into it a handful of times on grands; one of them a Steinway.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
We had one where they had left the candle burning on the top of a console, it ended up burning the lid, almost all the way through...it did have a hole in the top.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Ah yes the left-over burning candle…..like this one that came in last year…… had to do an old-time veneer repair…..a good argument for keeping some old piano boards around for the original veneers……

This one was refinished in shellac at some point and was not doing so well, so she did the whole thing over….

http://picasaweb.google.com/silverwoodpianos/BroadwoodGrand#

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Dan is filled with GREAT information about refinishing, repairing finishes and all of that. He helped me with 3 pianos that I took in for my son to work on that I knew nothing about. While they didn't come out nearly as well as if he had done it, they looked a heck of a lot better than they did before I started on them............ I think????? smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
B
Shellac is a very good finish for pianos, but you have to take care of it properly. Old finishes were quite similar except for different resins, which are not as hard as shellac. Except for the veneer on the music desk, all of the damage, including the color mismatch, could have been repaired on that piano. The veneer damage probably would have happened no matter what the finish. You just need to keep water off the piano. Water is a problem no matter what finish you use.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Dan is filled with GREAT information about refinishing, repairing finishes and all of that. He helped me with 3 pianos that I took in for my son to work on that I knew nothing about. While they didn't come out nearly as well as if he had done it, they looked a heck of a lot better than they did before I started on them............ I think????? smile

Ha!...that’s funny Jerry…………… I remember those little videos I made and sent them to you. I still have them actually.... I recall that the pianos you did there came out pretty good for a refinishing DIY’er….moooooaaa….. gotcha…..

Thanks for the plug about refinishing…not totally the expert……….. I put a cheque in the mail for you anyways….[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
Shellac is a very good finish for pianos, but you have to take care of it properly.

Quite true actually, but you have to apply it correctly too otherwise that is what one ends up with…..a very non-durable mess.

This one had so many small scratch lines and water stains it was easier to rip the finish and replace it with a finish and tone colour she wanted. Then after the Olympic rental, and the damaged music desk, the refinish job was inevitable. This one came in under the quoted price for refinish too. How often does that happen…..

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission