2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
K
Right now I have three students that I teach in the evenings after I get off of work from my day job. I travel to each of their homes.

One family got me a card with a $30 giftcard to Target. They are the family that has a grand piano in their home and yes, they get it tuned regularly!

Another family got me a card with $25 cash. They are the first piano family I had after graduating college and the dad has been friends with my dad since they were in high school.

My third family, the newest... just teaching their daughter is a wondeful gift in itself. She just turned 10, is very excited about learning piano, loves doing her theory homework, and asks such good questions. She made me a card and a bracelet out of yarn. I also adopted a kitten from them that they had found outside of their home but couldn't keep due to allergies in the family. PLUS they are buying my old piano for their daughter as a surprise Christmas present.

I'm appreciative of any gifts/cards I receive. I'm very lucky to work with such great families!

I don't expect anything but have received a number of gifts.

-homemade cookies
-homemade candy (already eaten)
-reusable grocery bag
-free car wash coupon
-$50 gift card to Target (extremely generous)

Gisele Sum, gsum82-piano@hotmail.com
Piano and Theory Teacher
Principal Church Organist and/or Choir Accompaniment
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I accidentally sent my family Christmas wishlist to the mother of one of my students (her email is right under my sister's in my address list). I got a lovely pair of earrings and a pair of trouser socks!

laugh

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I just got an ornament in the shape of a musical note!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
F
F
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
Starbucks gift card

Ditto. I thought I've already told my students that I don't drink coffee. But somehow I manage to get a bunch of them every year.

Hey, at least they're great for re-gifting!!

Starbucks gift cards are kind of a standard teacher gift around here. I came to the conclusion that not everyone drinks coffee, and that Starbucks is kind of a silly indulgence anyway, so we switched to giving Atlanta/Panera Bread gift cards. After all, everybody eats.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
F
F
I don`t expect any gifts from my students but am always touched when they write me a card that says how much they appreciate my teaching. This year I got Godiva chocs, Lindt choc, a box of expensive European chocs, $50 gift card, $25 gift card, $20 gift card, candles, soap and freshly baked cupcakes. The mom I expected a card from, I really mean...JUST A CARD... made sure she did not sit in the class (like she always does every week) on the last week before the holidays. Her children get sort of a special treatment from me because I teach past their 30 min lesson into my break for 15mins more.....but I NEVER get a thank you from her. I do this because her kids are hardworking. Imagine....not even a "Thank You" !!! And yes, she can afford a card because she just bought a 2nd instrument for her kid and enrolled for classes. By the way she is a bit of a snob but her kids are sweet and I will continue doing my best for them.

LEARNING AND IMPROVING NEVER STOPS. It would be boring if it did.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
When I was a student, I always enjoyed showing my piano teacher how much I appreciated him/her at Christmas by giving a gift. Even in college, I would take up a collection to give a gift to our professor/piano teacher. I recently saw one of the "early shows" on gift etiquette and teachers were on the list of those individuals who should be "gifted" over the holidays. Due to the personal relationship between the music teacher and student, it seems to be the norm rather than the exception. At any rate, I received Swaroski crystal earrings, many many starbucks cards (I am a caffeine addict), a candle and unfortunately a scarf in a bag that'd clearly been used (no tag at all, and the scarf was complete with stuck-on-black undiagnosed-gook on it, yuk). I was surprised not to receive something from some of my private students since I always give 10 to 20 minutes more per lesson, and for both Halloween and Christmas, they all get stickers, pencils, etc., throughout the month, not to mention lots of music I provide. I don't do it with a gift in mind over the holidays, but apparently some parents do feel that we should be the recipient of something extra over the holidays.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
K
K
I got one more gift after my post... my student from the family that bought my old piano decorated a lovely glass ornament for me. She's so creative and thoughtful and I could tell she was very proud when she gave it to me. Each of my students always manage to brighten even my most frustrating days! Sometimes they even cure my headaches! I could not be happier... well maybe I could be if I had 20 more students just as great as them!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission