Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1584821 - 12/27/10 07:26 AM KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!)
curt88 Offline

From another thread...

Got it today and I have three words to describe it...
OH

MY

GAWD.

So many things are right on this piano but there are a few things that I don't like and one defect.

One is the straight shiny SILVER plug they use on the pedal. Why not a black right angle plug?

Two is the power cord - while they did use a right angle plug on this, they angled it outward so it forces the cord to extend beyond the right edge of the unit. And the power switch is to the left of the power connector so I can see why they had to angle it to the right but why not put the switch on the end and angle the power cord inward, toward the center of the unit?

Now to the defect...
The C5 and D5 keys are tipped away from each other making their tops and spacing uneven with the surrounding keys. This is very noticeable visually and I can really feel it when I play. Dammit! The Studiologic NUMA board that I returned had this exact same problem. I seem to be jinxed.

Upon closer inpsection I can see this unevenness at EVERY C-D key location. Just running my eyes down the front edge of the keys I can visually tell where each C-D is. This looks like some kind of manufacturing issue to me now. Like the key sub-assemblies are built from D to C and then brought together in the board.

I ordered this from Sweetwater so I can just send it back for a replacement although quantities appear to be limited. I'm curious if anyone else is noticing this on their MP10/RM3 actions?

Curt

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1584826 - 12/27/10 07:54 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
offnote Offline

Loc: Banned
that's why I didn't buy Kawai yet...quality assurance problems...

#1584836 - 12/27/10 08:34 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
Offnote, I thought DPs suck...

#1584848 - 12/27/10 09:09 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Reading topics like this, it seems I am really lucky with my CA63 which happened to be in a perfect condition - no squeaking keys, no hiss from the amp, perfectly equal gaps between the keys. Kawai should really make something in regards to their quality control though.

Two days ago I bought a Yamaha KX8 MIDI controller which uses the Yamaha GHS keyboard (the same as in P95). I know it's very unfair comparison since it's the entry-level action of Yamaha but it just reassured me how great the wooden RM3 action is. The difference is night and day. To be honest to GHS, it is not that bad though, it's very light in touch and in weight and is thus perfect for gigging with a laptop and used with Rhodes sound which is what I bought it for.

#1584855 - 12/27/10 09:23 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: CyberGene]
curt88 Offline

Originally Posted By: CyberGene
It just reassured me how great the wooden RM3 action is. The difference is night and day.

Agreed. This action is the best I've played on a DP. This is the only thing that has me considering sending it back for a replacement. Otherwise, I'd just send it back.

I sent pictures along to Kawai America and I'm now awaiting their response.

Curt

#1585018 - 12/27/10 01:59 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
10fingers Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: curt88
I sent pictures along to Kawai America and I'm now awaiting their response.

Curt

Curt, would you mind posting a picture here?

#1585212 - 12/27/10 06:13 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: 10fingers]
curt88 Offline

I contacted Kawai America and after discussing that my closest service technician is about 3 hours away, I receive an email from Sweetwater that said they had just heard from Kawai about my key problem and are sending me a replacement MP10 this week along with a prepaid label to ship the defective one back.

Thank you Mark at Kawai and Eryk at Sweetwater! YOU RULE.

I should now remove the "couple of issues" from the title of this thread!

Curt

#1585283 - 12/27/10 08:06 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

-Thats good to hear. A friend of mine only orders from Sweetwater.
I was pleased that my piano came okay from GC/MF-
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1585536 - 12/28/10 06:05 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
JFP Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:" I should now remove the "couple of issues" from the title of this thread!"

You should better wait for your replacement Kawai and see if the 'problems' are gone and not a problem of the whole batch of MP10's. You never know...

Keep us posted,

J

#1585574 - 12/28/10 07:57 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: 10fingers]
curt88 Offline

Originally Posted By: 10fingers

Sure! Here's a photo of the worst example...

And here's an audio snippet of a work in progress using the Concert Grand #1 with a slight tweak and some Hall reverb applied (12MB WAV file). Don't mistake my clodhopper fingers for deficiencies in velocity layers! This is just me recording a song idea!!

Curt

Edit: linking to a photo is now working.. smile

Edited by curt88 (12/29/10 12:18 PM)

#1585610 - 12/28/10 08:56 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I like your composition...sounds very nice. In some MP10/CA93 demos I've heard there is something odd (to me) about the attack of the note, like there is insufficient hammer noise or whatever - but your piece sounds very nice - I would be happy with it. It's quite bright isn't it? But I think in some way this impression is heightened by a very sterile sounding reverb...all these onboard reverbs seem to be the same...too clinical and cold...I bet a decent outboard reverb would warm that up no end and make the soundscape much more real sounding.

I'm impressed...I need to try the MP10.

Cheers,

Steve

#1585635 - 12/28/10 09:37 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
curt88, how about a temporary image host such as ImageShack?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1585800 - 12/28/10 02:03 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: 10fingers

Sure! Here's a photo of the worst example...

And here's an audio snippet of a work in progress using the Concert Grand #1 with a slight tweak and some Hall reverb applied (12MB WAV file). Don't mistake my clodhopper fingers for deficiencies in velocity layers! This is just me recording a song idea!!

Curt

Edit: linking to a photo doesn't appear to be working.. frown

Here's the page with instructions for uploading photos.
-

#1585853 - 12/28/10 03:31 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
10fingers Offline

Loc: CA
Hi Curt,

I enjoyed your composition very much. I also look forward to the photo, if you are able to upload it,

Jonathan

#1586275 - 12/29/10 08:00 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: bluebilly]
curt88 Offline

Originally Posted By: bluebilly
Here's the page with instructions for uploading photos.

That appears to be a link for uploading files to accompany an advert for selling your piano, not to include a photo in a message.

James, I don't really want to set up an account with an online image host just to post one picture. I was trying to link to the image on my website like the audio file example I posted. I don't get why an image won't work the same way. Kooky forum software, I bet.

Curt

Edited by curt88 (12/29/10 08:01 AM)

#1586328 - 12/29/10 10:11 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
mwrenchd Offline

Curt - when I try to view the image directly on your website (not through the forum), using the URL you posted I get a 404- not found error.

Here is the URL I tried (w/o spaces): www . curtallen . com/photos/mp10_keys.jpg

Is that correct? Can you view it directly in your web browser?

Thanks.

#1586329 - 12/29/10 10:16 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: mwrenchd]
kurtie Offline

Hi,

Try this:

http://www.curtallen.com/photos/mp10_keys.JPG

It is a usual mistake. Windows is case insensitive, but any web server on a Unix server it is not.

#1586348 - 12/29/10 10:47 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: kurtie]
hannibal2 Offline

Loc: Budapest, Hungary, EU
WHOA!

I didn't know that Marianna Trench is supposed to be part of a usual 88key piano layout.

This is suprising considering the fact that any Kawai I tried before were of very high quality instruments.

I wonder if this issue applies to the whole production-line of MP8/10s or just to a limited S/N range.

#1586368 - 12/29/10 11:21 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: hannibal2]
mwrenchd Offline

#1586475 - 12/29/10 01:48 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've seen a lot worse than that...check out a Korg...all the ones I've seen have horrifically uneven gaps, like the key assemblies are made in little clusters then bolted together, with a big gap between each sub-assembly. Not a good look at all. The Kawai must surely be an easy fix?

Steve

#1586538 - 12/29/10 03:12 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: mwrenchd]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
Oh, come on... This is absolutely normal! All the keys have some side clearance, so you can move them slightly to the left or the right. That's also true for my CA63, but no key is touching another key, everything in this respect is smooth. You should be able to play absolutely perfect with such a keyboard. I've also seen this on may acoustic pianos too. Try to move with your hand with gentle force from the left to the right over the whole keyboard (or from the right to the left), after that the key spaces should look much more regular.

#1586760 - 12/29/10 08:25 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: mucci]
curt88 Offline

It's more than side-to-side spacing - the keys themselves are tipped. And it is NOT absolutely normal. My Kurzweil didn't have this problem, my Roland didn't have this problem... and my new Kawai won't have this problem! smile

#1586761 - 12/29/10 08:27 PM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: EssBrace]
curt88 Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
The Kawai must surely be an easy fix?

Steve

It probably is an easy adjustment but with no technician even CLOSE to me, Kawai/Sweetwater offered to replace the piano free of charge and who would refuse that?

Curt

#1586989 - 12/30/10 05:22 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
JFP Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

It's hard for me to judge from the angled picture how bad it is, but considering you buy the MP10 especially for it's high-end keybed I can imagine that you don't want it to resemble the same flaws that inferior piano-models have. Too bad they don't have a technician nearby that can perform the (minor?) adjustments on your unit; now it takes more time, is more hassle and more expensive to resolve the problem (replacing the whole unit of 33kg).

#1586990 - 12/30/10 05:22 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh I totally agree. Good service you've had there.

#1587071 - 12/30/10 08:26 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: JFP]
curt88 Offline

Originally Posted By: JFP
It's hard for me to judge from the angled picture how bad it is, but considering you buy the MP10 especially for it's high-end keybed I can imagine that you don't want it to resemble the same flaws that inferior piano-models have.

You are absolutely correct. The keybed is THE REASON I selected this piano and I want it to be perfect (as it turns out, the internal piano sounds are also very, very good). It's actually worse than the picture shows. My finger catches on that ridge and because it's tipped it depresses at a different angle than the other keys. I can feel it in my finger muscle... very distracting.

Originally Posted By: JFP
Too bad they don't have a technician nearby that can perform the (minor?) adjustments on your unit; now it takes more time, is more hassle and more expensive to resolve the problem (replacing the whole unit of 33kg).

But I still get to play THIS one until the new one arrives and it isn't costing me a penny extra! I've spent the last day or so dialing in my perfect Concert Grand preset and saved it to the USB drive for immediate transfer into the new piano when it gets here. I've also been learning the ins and outs of the recorder and MIDI-to-audio tools. It isn't wasted time at all. I just have to stay out of that particular octave when I'm playing right now!

Curt

#1587072 - 12/30/10 08:28 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: EssBrace]
curt88 Offline

But the engineer in me is DYING to pop this thing open and take a look at that key mechanism!!!

Curt

#1587079 - 12/30/10 08:42 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
ivoryeyes Offline

But the engineer in me is DYING to pop this thing open and take a look at that key mechanism!!!

Curt

Talking about being inquistivie with these types of electronic instruments , I am currently building my own electronic drum set. The set I wanted to purchase would have been about $ 800 because I wanted drum heads that were mesh construction to give a more realsitic acoustic feel/bounce. I only wanted to spend about $300 so I took the brains out of a tabletop drum kit I had, which had great drum sounds, but terrible rubber drum pads , and I desoldered all the rubber pad connections from the circuit board, then purchased goodwoods mesh drum heads { 4 of them for $120} and resoldered those connections to the circuit board and put all the circuit boards in a thick carboard christmas box and glued them in so they wont move, and then I have to put all the pieces on my aluminum drum rack today. I am also gonna put a set of 4 ohm / 3 way 120 watt stereo speakers onto the drum rack

Edited by ivoryeyes (12/30/10 08:44 AM)

#1587107 - 12/30/10 09:30 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: curt88]
JFP Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Curt, keep us informed when the new unit arrives and if it has , or has not similar problems. Would be interesting to find out if these problems are exemplary or perhaps a flaw of the first batch of instruments. I guess it's only your unit , or a perhaps few units (see similar RM3 key un-eveness in another thread).

#1587118 - 12/30/10 10:16 AM Re: KAWAI MP10 Arrived! Couple of issues... (!) [Re: JFP]
curt88 Offline

I shall!

Can you link me to that other thread please?

Edited by curt88 (12/30/10 10:18 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, Akshay, Allard, 19 invisible), 1144 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250088 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission