Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (ando, Alan Tripp, Anita Potter, 36251, anamnesis, aesop, 33 invisible), 1248 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1587167 - 12/30/10 11:57 AM What to do? Upgrade or stay?
mflander Offline

Loc: Elk River, MN
So I bought a Yamaha YPG-235 before thanksgiving to let the kids play with and discovered I really like playing the piano. I ended up returning the 235 and upgrading to the DGX640 a week or so ago. After reading quite a bit I'm starting to second guess that purchase. I really only care about the piano right now, and am wondering if I should have purchased something else in the $500-$1000 range. I am a beginner so feel doesn't mean much right now but I am getting better quickly.

I don't see many good things being said about the 640, would I have been better off with the PX330? At least I could hook that up to monitors in the future if I wanted although right now I primarily use headphones. Are there much better choices out there in that price range?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1587203 - 12/30/10 12:51 PM Re: What to do? Upgrade or stay? [Re: mflander]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
Hi mflander
I have a px330 and I don't see much good written about this one either. I have mine connected with external speakers and I also use pianoteq. My experience has been great and I enjoy this keyboard. I'm not positive, but I don't know why you couldn't hook up the 640 to speakers. If you like (or at least can live with) the feel of the keyboard, why look for something different in the price range? You can drive yourself crazy comparing boards forever and I think that no KB is going to have every single thing you want bar none. The speakers are different, the touch is harder, softer, the pianos are realistic or not, the other sounds are useful or not. Do you want rhythms or session partners or are you after just pianos? Ad nauseum! The 640 has its advantages and drawbacks just like all the others. Maybe you can just play around with it for awhile. Tweak it and experiment. The more I do that with mine, the more I enjoy it!

Just sayin'....

#1587280 - 12/30/10 02:47 PM Re: What to do? Upgrade or stay? [Re: piRround]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
If you continue to play, you'll want to upgrade to a DP with a heavier touch. No need to rush. Just wait until you become dissatisfied with the current 'board's touch and use the time to learn about possible ugrades.

If you think that you'd be open to buying used, you could look at the Craigslist sites in Minnesota, to get a feel for prices in your area. Link

#1587284 - 12/30/10 02:52 PM Re: What to do? Upgrade or stay? [Re: mflander]
Ovidiu M Offline

Loc: Romania
You may go for an Arius YDP161/181 or if you dont care about cabinetry, go for The CP33, its bounds and leaps ahead of the DGX 640 in terms of piano sound.

#1587303 - 12/30/10 03:15 PM Re: What to do? Upgrade or stay? [Re: mflander]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I had the YPG 635 (your DGX is an upgrade to that) and the Privia side by side. Sent the 330 back and kept the YPG. It's a decent keyboard, and I liked it better than the Casio, but they were roughly equivalent.

I sold the YPG for financial reasons and also because I decided to upgrade. I suggest keeping the DGX...it's a great price for the quality, has lots of extra features and should last you well into intermediate level.

#1589534 - 01/03/11 10:57 AM Re: What to do? Upgrade or stay? [Re: mflander]
mflander Offline

Loc: Elk River, MN
Well I ended up getting best buy to match guitar center's $100 off coupon so I got them to give me $100 back. Good deal! I went to 2-3 different stores and shopped and at ALL of them the px-130 and px-330 keybeds were in bad shape. Keys were loose, and if you look down the keys from the end they were far from straight. I decided to keep the DGX and save up for the one's I really want in a year or two, possibly a 700nx or better. Thanks for the advice!

#1589619 - 01/03/11 12:43 PM Re: What to do? Upgrade or stay? [Re: mflander]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: mflander
I don't see many good things being said about the 640, would I have been better off with the PX330? At least I could hook that up to monitors in the future if I wanted although right now I primarily use headphones. Are there much better choices out there in that price range?

The trouble with the 640 is only that it has features not needed for just piano that you pay for. You are paying doe a zillion voices and auto features you will not use. So if it is only piano you need you'd be best off with a lower priced P95 becuase you get about the same thing for $550.

But you have little to gain by moving what I'll call "side ways" to another pianoin the same class as the 640. The PX330, P95 and the like are not better. To get "better you need to move up to a piano that has better key action. In the Yamaha line that would be the YDP161, CP33, CP50, or P155. Of those I think the P155 is the best value.

The most importance feature of a piano is the qualoity of it's key action and I think you have to spend over $1K to get there. The 640 uses Yamaha's cheeper "GHS" keys which are not a whole lot different from Casio and Rolands "Alpha" series keys

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I want to buy a cdp-120,it is ok?
by Raynorrr
04/25/15 08:19 AM
Need help being calm in front of teacher.
by teelions
04/25/15 07:22 AM
Best Steinway Virtual Piano
by carlspost
04/25/15 03:39 AM
What is the piano in this performance?
by PianissiGretto
04/25/15 12:41 AM
Is this something?
by JoelW
04/25/15 12:04 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,028 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,522 Topics
2,399,504 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission