2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I would appreciate any advice on how to get started on the Y.E.S.

I am an intermediate piano player, but piano only sofar. I would like to broaden my playing skills to cover ensemble piano.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Yamaha Education Suite is specific to certain models of Yamaha's keyboards. Ensemble and educational features of instruments are brand-specific, so you'd need to find someone with experience on your particular type of keyboard.

Believe it or not, this is more of a "music technology" type question than a "piano teacher" type question. Piano teachers are generally trained to teach people how to do all the chording, reading, and improvising without the aid of technology.

You might have better luck asking around on a music technology forum or blog, or finding someone in your area with music technology expertise. Best would be a local college, especially a smaller one that offers non-major and community keyboard courses. The teachers who teach those kinds of classes are most likely to know the kind of information you're looking for.

If you're looking for advice over the internet, then it's best to ask very specific questions. When I first read your question "How do I get started?", my gut response was "Well, you open the book that came with your keyboard and start with lesson 1." If no materials were included with the keyboard, then you might check YouTube (a quick search showed some tutorials available.)

Another reason to be very specific is that people cover a very, VERY wide range of experience and ingenuity. When some people ask that question, they're wanting to know where the power switch is and don't really know what any of the buttons on the keyboard do. Others may ask the same question but know their keyboard's features very well, except for the Y.E.S. Some may need careful and constant step-by-step guidance and instruction from a teacher; while others simply need a nudge and a jumping-off point before taking off on their won.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'll reiterate: A title like "Help with features of Clavinova CVP-55" would be more likely to get the right people to read your thread. Your title is still (accidentally, I know) misleading, causing the wrong people to read.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks to Kreisler for the comments!

david_a, the Clavinova CVP-55 is an instrument that I happen to have. The ensemble piano feature of that instrument is what I want to learn. However, ensemble piano features in various versions can be found in many, many instruments from Yamaha, Roland, Korg, and others. The Y.E.S. teaches many things, including the Yamaha version of ensemble piano. The technical term 'ensemble piano' and the Y.E.S. are quite well known, just not in this forum, or so it seems.

He's referring to confusion with the even more well-known term "piano ensemble", which refers to music for 2 or more pianists played on 2 or more pianos.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
There is no such source of confusion in this thread, as the subject line - as it appears in the list of threads - merely refers to the Y.E.S.

Apparently, there are no teachers in this forum using the Y.E.S.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
There may very well be, or there may be ones who used it in the past but don't anymore - but they probably skipped reading this thread, because your title doesn't say what you want help with.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
david_a, are you trolling?

Read the subject line, it is about the Y.E.S.
What I want help with is part and parcel of the Y.E.S.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by doremi
The technical term 'ensemble piano' and the Y.E.S. are quite well known, just not in this forum, or so it seems.

Those terms are unknown to me, and though I'm not a skilled pianist I've been a musician roughly 50 years.

Google didn't help me much.

I'm guessing that by ensemble piano you are talking about using the additional bells and whistles supplied with some digital pianos to enhance a performance. I'm guessing because you haven't specified, and google isn't clear.

However, if that is what you are asking, it is indeed a legitimate question, and potentially a large niche market for piano teachers.

That question has come up on this forum, articulated more in the form I've just given, and we haven't seen anyone who specialized in this type of teaching. How best to teach that type of skill, and fit it into a curriculum of progressive technique and repertoire, is an interesting question to me.

If I've correctly guessed what you mean by ensemble piano, then the question of how to teach Y.E.S. is tertiary (secondary being whether to use it at all to teach ensemble piano. There may be far better approaches out there. )

gotta go practice

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission