2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jmw #1587178 12/30/10 01:16 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Piano World has no rules about discussing prices.

The problem with repairs like this is that most of the time spent on them is travel time.

Semipro Tech
BDB #1587231 12/30/10 02:36 PM
jmw Offline OP
OP Offline
The other question I have is, do you "mark up" your parts prices?

I had to put a starter in my car last week, then it turns out that something else was wrong too, so to extend good will, he said he'd give me the starter for "his" cost, which reminded me that they do that.

Obviously 7 cents for a jack spring isn't much, but there's shipping, etc. I don't want to stick it to anyone but I don't want to stick myself either wink

Music teacher and beginning Tuner
jmw #1587239 12/30/10 02:42 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
If I have to order parts, I will mark up the price. However, some things are not worth the bookkeeping trouble, like a jack spring left over from a set of them. I just consider some things to be supplies, rather than parts.

Semipro Tech
jmw #1587629 12/31/10 04:58 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jmw
The follow up question is, "how much do you charge for small repairs like this one?"

Thanks as always- there are some really great people out here!
jw

With all respect: considering that you are coming on-line to find help diagnosing such a basic problem and are cutting your teeth learning these kinds of repairs, perhaps you shouldn't really be asking how much to charge a client for your education and experience....

JG
I think you have to take these type repairs and make your best judgment whether to charge or not to charge. If it is simply a matter that the jack spring slipped out of place and takes a few seconds to pop it back in, then I just do it and go on. If it were a bunch of them then a small fee might be in order.

If it's broken and has to be replaced and it involves a little more work, then maybe charge a little extra for what you are doing.

For me it's a case by case decision. Before doing any tuning I inspect the piano to see what is needed. Especially a piano that I am seeing for the first time. Then before I do any work I visit with the owner to let them know what I see and what I recommend along with the cost to do the repairs.

I recently tuned an old Clough Bros upright that seemed like every other jack flange was unglued. Because of the number of jacks that had to be repaired I did charge a little extra for gluing them back into place.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hi all - One aspect to consider which has not been mentioned is that oftentimes when parts start breaking, more will follow. I ordinarily would replace a single broken part without charging an extra fee, especially something as simple as a jack spring. At the same time, however, I will point out that once a particular part starts to break, more will certainly follow, whether it be bridle straps, plastic elbows, hammer butt springs, jack springs, etc., etc. I'll give an estimate for a total replacement job, and a price quote (on the high side) for future individual replacements. The appeal of having the entire job done at a reasonable price and being done with it once and for all wins the day, at least in my experience.

Just a thought to add another viewpoint. Have a great New Years, all, and thanks to all for the support I've been given in my various writing endeavors. I appreciate your support! Chuck Behm

P.S Illustrated promos now available include: 1. bridle strap replacement, 2. hammer filing, 3. ivory keyset restoration 4. plastic elbow replacement and 5. vertical action regulating.

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
jmw Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your thoughts, Mr. Goering. I didn't intend to charge the client for this particular thing- I just wanted to have an idea for my future reference. This is a side line for me that I enjoy doing and want to get better at. That being said, if I know what to do and am able to do it, I don't think it's out of line to charge something for my time. If I don't know and have to do some research to get it fixed, then I don't charge anything. In all cases, I tell the everyone I'm new, and learning, and charge accordingly. In my geographic area, there are very few options for piano tech's, so most people are just tickled they can get someone to do the work.
John

Music teacher and beginning Tuner
S
S
I agree with Chuck on this one. I evaluate each scenario individually, if it is a piano that is literally falling apart, then I am honest about that, and will not become involved. Odds are if glue joints are failing in one spot, especially on older uprights, they will fail in other places. The customer expects... perfection~ and doesn't understand why that can't happen. It is a Loose-Loose situation, so despite the love we have for pianos and the desire to see them live forever.... there are times when we need to let them go, and let the relatives know that. s

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I agree with Chuck on this one. I evaluate each scenario individually, if it is a piano that is literally falling apart, then I am honest about that, and will not become involved. - SM Boone

Actually, our only point of agreement here is to evaluate the piano carefully. I'm not at all saying that if things are coming apart I'm unwilling to become involved. Far from it. Things that are coming apart almost always may be put back together again.

What I am saying is that instead of fixing a problem on a piecemeal basis, I would much rather take on the problem as a whole and get it done right the first time, so that the same repair doesn't come up time and time again, just for different notes each time.

For example, if I'm working on the restoration of an ivory keyset , and some of the individual ivories have come loose, I would prefer to reglue all 52, instead of fixing a few, then having more pop off later. This adds a lot more time to the job, obviously, but ensures that the problem is fixed for good.(If you would like to see more details on this approach, go to the Schaff webstore, open up the technical articls section and download the article titled "Invisble Ivory Keytop Replacement.")

And unlike you, if the piano is one the customer wants to save, and it's within my power to do so, I almost never advise pulling the plug, so to speak. I'll give them a quote on fixing what they have, advise them to look at new pianos and consider their options, but at least I will be giving them an option, not just a sad story of why it can't be done. That approach very often turns out to be a win-win situation.

Have a great New Years, everyone, and think positive! Chuck

515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
jmw #1588882 01/02/11 09:33 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Each of us who undertake to fix the pianos of others will develop slightly different approaches to repair work. In many years (more than I like to think about) of tuning and repair, I've come to the private conclusion that repair, in most cases, is why I was called in the first place. For that reason I charge a good fee for all repairs. My bookkeeper (wife) insists on it!

There are occasions where I can tell that the owner is really struggling, and I'll apply glue, or fix a small part while whistling tunelessly and looking off in another direction. I don't have to charge for those repairs, and no one is the wiser.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
There are occasions where I can tell that the owner is really struggling, and I'll apply glue, or fix a small part while whistling tunelessly and looking off in another direction. I don't have to charge for those repairs, and no one is the wiser.
-David Jenson

David - When you take this approach, the pay-back may not be as immediate as handing the customer a bill, but it will come back to you in the form of repeat business and referrals. Customers have many ways of saying "thank you" when they are treated right. Chuck

515-212-9220

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Chuck Behm
-David Jenson

David - When you take this approach, the pay-back may not be as immediate as handing the customer a bill, but it will come back to you in the form of repeat business and referrals. Customers have many ways of saying "thank you" when they are treated right. Chuck

Exactly! Word of mouth and repeat business are your best friends, and nothing gives you more of either like customers who are happy with how you treat them.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission