Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 10 of 20 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#1584386 - 12/26/10 02:41 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: vabejas
Thanks for your gift and you've found another nice name for this one TAD! thumb I'm hopping over to my (brand new) CA93 to give the new patch a spin. I'll be back with a comment later on, as well as with my personal top-8!

Great to hear! Quite curious what you'll come up with (as you may have discovered already, the CA93/CA63 have one more user memory space, so no worries if you happen to have a top-9)...

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1584390 - 12/26/10 02:58 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
vabejas Offline

Loc: FRA
After playing my new CA93 for a couple of days now (love it!), here are my first (non-professional) impressions of the layered sounds (and I've tried them all! whistle ):
8 available spots are for sure not enough! There must be a 9th one somehow but I don't know how to store it.
BTW A nice trick with visitors: play your favourite piece on the standard grand piano sound and ask them if they like it: they all do (so far). Then play the opening bars of Rach's 2nd Concerto (that's all I can play from this piece btw sick ) with the Brutal Bösendorfer patch to make them fall of their chairs. whistle
In general I like 'heavy touch'.

My 8 spots are at the moment occupied with:

1. Steinway normal touch CA 93. For classical pieces this is by far my favourite. It has the most complex sound spectrum IMHO and gives you the opportunity to easily change colour, from angry to sweet, brilliant patch!
2. Bösendorfer. Impressive but difficult to play pianissimo with the light touch, not a very subtle patch IMHO, but still nice wink
3. Shigeru Kawai very wide-ranging, nice and clear piano sound, but again, difficult to play ppp.
4. The brand new EX to the Max very deep basses, nice discant (trebles), I use it with heavy, not heavy+ (too easy to play soft with that)
5. Red Piano Niiiice, I love playing Elton John, Billy Joel etc.... Put on some weird glasses and you're there. Great patch!
6. Supertramp 'Dreamer' Wurli sounds just like them yippie
7. Heavy amped Rhodes has cost me a glass already wow
8. Hollywood Strings play two quick notes (D & F for instance) in the basses and you have the 'Jaws' theme! eek

Seriously, this is impressive stuff and a great plus to the basic sound library of the CA63/93
I find this thread highly informative and amusing at the same time. May it long continue! thumb thumb TADUTCHMAN
If only I knew what stretch tuning does??? blush cool

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jasvabe
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vabejas

#1584520 - 12/26/10 05:50 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: vabejas]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

After playing my new CA93 for a couple of days now (love it!), here are my first (non-professional) impressions of the layered sounds (and I've tried them all! whistle ):
...fulfilling all of the criteria as stated here at once:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1509389.html#Post1509389

Thanks a lot for your feedback, vabejas! If you want to save your user memory settings, just check out Chapter 10, page 53 of the user manual, it's quite easy (once you know it). Following in the footsteps of Pinipon, you are hereby the second CA93/CA63 owner to be promoted to:

Kawai CA93/CA63 custom presets reviewer thumb
That's some incredibly quick pioneering, having owned your CA93 for only a few days!

Seriously, this is impressive stuff and a great plus to the basic sound library of the CA63/93
I find this thread highly informative and amusing at the same time. May it long continue! thumb thumb TADUTCHMAN
If only I knew what stretch tuning does??? blush cool
Thanks again! Some related info on stretch tuning is given here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1534373.html#Post1534373
If I recall correctly, CyberGene also commented on stretch tuning in this thread.

#1584553 - 12/26/10 06:47 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
CyberGene Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Stretched tuning is basically a tuning where the highest notes are tuned slightly higher than the mathematical values and the lowest notes are similarly tuned slightly lower in order to compensate for certain string irregularities (where higher overtones are not an exact factor of the fundamental but get slightly higher) and thus provide better overtone matching which arguably creates better sounding intervals. You can easily hear the difference if you play simultaneously the middle C and one of the higher C-s or E-s (for a major third across octaves) and switching between wide and normal. Stretched tuning sounds more lively when playing solo piano but can cause you troubles when played in ensemble with other instruments because it's mainly string instruments that posses that irregularity.

In short: use stretched (wide) when playin solo and equal (normal) when playing with other instruments.

#1584765 - 12/27/10 02:52 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: CyberGene]
vabejas Offline

Thanks for your detailed explanation Cybergene, I'll try it out, still learning all this. wink

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

#1584766 - 12/27/10 02:56 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
vabejas Offline

Originally Posted By: TADutchman
If you want to save your user memory settings, just check out Chapter 10, page 53 of the user manual, it's quite easy (once you know it).

Thanks for that TAD, I'll check it out!

#1584768 - 12/27/10 02:59 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
vabejas Offline

Following in the footsteps of Pinipon, you are hereby the second CA93/CA63 owner to be promoted to:

Kawai CA93/CA63 custom presets reviewer thumb

Wow, really? blush I accept! laugh

#1585840 - 12/28/10 03:10 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

After seeing and hearing this guy live in Antwerp by coincidence yesterday, for a short moment I thought of the DIRTY UPRIGHT ROCK preset: wink

#1585923 - 12/28/10 06:06 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
Pinipon Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hi TAD,

I like the C7 and RX-7 patches but the EX TO THE MAX R1.0 shocked wow is a really gorgeous sound thumb and goes directly to my favorites: I like to play it with half-open and open lid wink

#1585944 - 12/28/10 06:44 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: vabejas]
Pinipon Offline

(...) 8 available spots are for sure not enough! (...)

+1

I think all CA93/63 owners agree with that: an "USB Settings Loader" would be a very useful feature, brings an added value to the instrument and has been requested for several months ago whistle but unfortunately Kawai will not develop this feature frown maybe Kawai James could tell us something about it...

#1585954 - 12/28/10 06:59 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Well, I'm obviously not going to promise anything, however let's just see what happens in 2011. wink

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1587009 - 12/30/10 06:17 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
ripe_md Offline

Loc: Germany
Hello,

after some background discussions with TADutchman I would like to share with you a PDF document collecting all
Kawai CA93/CA63 Custom Dual Voice Mode Presets.

I will update the document on a regular basis and provide the updates in this thread. I'm aware of the Google Docs document another user posted earlier, but for me it was more convenient to have a proper printout in my hands while sitting at my piano.

Looking forward to your feedback either via PM or within this thread.

ripe_md

Update: Now it's linking to commercial-free box.net. I will use that one also for future updates.

Edited by ripe_md (12/31/10 04:37 AM)

#1587015 - 12/30/10 06:44 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: ripe_md]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ripe_md
after some background discussions with TADutchman I would like to share with you a PDF document collecting all

Thanks for your initiative, ripe_md. This compact presentation format comes in quite handy! cool

#1587152 - 12/30/10 11:30 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: ripe_md]
Pinipon Offline

for me it was more convenient to have a proper printout in my hands while sitting at my piano.

me too! I like your doc, it's very useful to have all settings for fast reading and it have piano and e-piano separated sections: nice job thumb
another tool to enjoy the features of our instrument...

#1587265 - 12/30/10 02:25 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: ripe_md]
Stilgar Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi, for some reason I couldn't download your pdf. The site gave me an error in german when I tried to use a free account...

Otherwise, the google docs documents can be printed on 1 page containing all the settings (just use print or "download as pdf" to get a printable pdf). However, it is incomplete.

Cédric

#1587383 - 12/30/10 04:56 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: ripe_md]
vabejas Offline

Hello,

I will update the document on a regular basis and provide the updates in this thread. I'm aware of the Google Docs document another user posted earlier, but for me it was more convenient to have a proper printout in my hands while sitting at my piano.

Looking forward to your feedback either via PM or within this thread.

ripe_md

Back from a few days skiing guys, thanks a lot for the pdf ripe_md! thumb very useful document.

I wish you all a great 2011 with lots of CA63/93 presets, love them!
Jasper

Edited by vabejas (01/01/11 08:49 AM)

#1587446 - 12/30/10 07:02 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: vabejas]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

BTW A nice trick with visitors: play your favourite piece on the standard grand piano sound and ask them if they like it: they all do (so far). Then play the opening bars of Rach's 2nd Concerto (that's all I can play from this piece btw sick ) with the Brutal Bösendorfer patch to make them fall of their chairs. whistle
2. Bösendorfer. Impressive but difficult to play pianissimo with the light touch, not a very subtle patch IMHO, but still nice wink

The BRUTAL BASS BÖSENDORFER is indeed not intended to be subtle in any kind of way, more like blowing everything else out of the water, so let's keep it that way! grin

3. Shigeru Kawai very wide-ranging, nice and clear piano sound, but again, difficult to play ppp.

The SHIGERU KAWAI CONCERT GRAND on the other hand just has to be perfect, it's in the name! Therefore, I've added a preset variation to also accomodate for heavy touch. Just let me know what you think of that: Happy New Year to everybody! smile

I've waited with sharing this patch until after midnight, otherwise ripe_md would have to directly update the preset list on the day of public release. By the way, please help him (and yourself) by checking for any remaining typos in the preset list, in order to iron them out before the next update.
In case you happen to prefer Google Docs, then you could add some of your favourites to Stilgar's list. Talking about good intentions for 2011. wink

SHIGERU KAWAI CONCERT GRAND R2.0 - HEAVY TOUCH EDITION

Dual Voice: Concert Grand, volume 7 + Concert Grand, volume 3

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low 0, mid +1, high 0

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: dynamic
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 9
2 - 3 String resonance: 5
2 - 4 Key off effect: 5
2 - 5 Touch: heavy

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 9

Reverb: Hall 2

Effect: Delay 2, time 1, depth 5

#1587649 - 12/31/10 06:33 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: Pinipon]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pinipon
...the EX TO THE MAX R1.0 shocked wow is a really gorgeous sound thumb and goes directly to my favorites

Hi Pini, glad you like the Christmas gift!

Looking backwards, I really enjoyed working on this 2010 paper together: http://www.attacca.eu/images/settings_CA63_93.pdf

Maybe we could think of doing something like that in 2011 again, with a slightly different focus? smile

#1588252 - 01/01/11 09:12 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
vabejas Offline

SHIGERU KAWAI CONCERT GRAND R2.0 - HEAVY TOUCH EDITION

Dual Voice: Concert Grand, volume 7 + Concert Grand, volume 3

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low 0, mid +1, high 0

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 3 String resonance: 5
2 - 4 Key off effect: 5

3 Key Settings

Reverb: Hall 2

Effect: Delay 2, time 1, depth 5

wow nice one TAD, it really sings with the heavy touch, thanks!

#1588976 - 01/02/11 11:46 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Talking of singing: what about a convincing acoustic guitar? No pitch bends, but still very expressive picking and strumming, playing open voices with sustain pedal! cool

ACOUSTIC GUITAR WITH BODY R1.0

Dual Voice: Ballad Guitar, volume 7 + Modern Piano, volume 3

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +2, mid +4, high +6

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 3 String resonance: 10

3 Key Settings
3 - 3 Layer octave: +1
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 10

Reverb: Stage

Effect: Tremolo, rate 3, depth 1

#1589044 - 01/02/11 02:41 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
vabejas Offline

ACOUSTIC GUITAR WITH BODY R1.0

I've just tried it, bravo! For sure an improvement on the standard guitar sound, much richer. Guitar sounds are difficult on most DP's. I've tweaked the balance to 2-8 (a bit less piano). If you hit the 6th string (low E) hard, it gives you a nice distorted sound cool
Another useful preset, thank you TAD!

#1589061 - 01/02/11 03:05 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
vabejas Offline

I've just uploaded my first Youtube video with the Steinway CA93 (so far my favourite) preset.
This is how I did it:
Not liking the result of the internal USB recording, even in WAV mode, I've used my faithful Zoom H2 behind the Soundboard, wav 44hz/16bit, mic height 20cm below the edge, then Audacity, just normalizing, I've synchronized the sound with the iMovie HD vid. The result is to be judged for yourself..., anyway it comes nowhere near to the real thing live.
My playing is a bit rusty as well, having been away from the piano for a long time.
I've chosen this Schumann piece because it stays away from extremes (basses and trebles) so the singing quality of the Steinway patch should come out pure.
Let me know what you think...
Schumann Kinderszenen
I intend to upload more with different settings, to compare the dual voice piano presets (I'm kind of addicted to the Fazioli patch as well) cool ,
Best regards,
Jasper

#1589146 - 01/02/11 05:45 PM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: vabejas]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for your video, vabejas! cool Despite of the obvious H2 recording limitations, your authentic playing style sounds great in combination with the Steinway patch. By the way, I'm curious what the differences would be like if you could also record at the players' position (close to your head)...

#1589335 - 01/03/11 12:23 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
vabejas Offline

... By the way, I'm curious what the differences would be like if you could also record at the players' position (close to your head)...

Thank you TAD, and thanks for the tip, good idea, I'll try your proposed position with the same piece and preset, maybe the result will be less boomy in the basses.
I have no experience with recording piano yet, just trying different settings. My classical guitar recordings are much appreciated on youtube btw, even with the Zoom H2! wink Oops, slightly going off-topic here... whistle

#1589515 - 01/03/11 10:25 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
ripe_md Offline

Here you can find the latest update to the CA93/CA63 list of presets. It includes the latest presets from TADutchman as well as some minor updates.

I've added a new column to highlight those settings which are new, moved or updated since the last release. It should make life easier to find the modified presets.

Have fun with the presets....

#1589533 - 01/03/11 10:55 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
ripe_md, this is a great overview! Thanks for compiling this!

#1589542 - 01/03/11 11:04 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: mucci]
vabejas Offline

Thank you Ripe-md!Nice work!
Jasper

#1589575 - 01/03/11 11:36 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
ripe_md Offline

Good to know that you like the format of the preset list. If you have any comments or suggestions feel free to contact me.

#1593772 - 01/09/11 07:17 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great stuff, ripe_md!
Let's add some more, first thinking of one of the funkiest pop pianos ever: cool smokin

DOES BECHSTEIN RING A BELL? R1.0

Dual Voice: Modern Piano, volume 5 + Pop Piano, volume 5

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +1, mid -1, high -5

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 3 String resonance: 9
2 - 4 Key off effect: 9
2 - 5 Touch: normal

3 Key Settings

Reverb: Stage

Effect: Delay 3, time 1, depth 2

#1594452 - 01/10/11 04:28 AM Re: Exclusively for KAWAI CA93/CA63 owners: custom settings [Re: TADutchman]
ripe_md Offline

All previous and future versions of the Kawai CA93/CA63 Custom Dual Voice Mode Presets Lists are available under this URL.

Please check on a regular basis, as I will update the list as soon as TADutchman shares his newest creations! So it's not longer necessary to make a posting for each update of the list.

Page 10 of 20 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Who's Online
66 registered (bgiles, Ben_NZ, aesop, Al LaPorte, allakart, 11 invisible), 869 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315433 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission