Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1590826 - 01/04/11 11:41 PM First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200?
DC_1988 Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and after a long period of reading these forums and learning so much from all of you guys, I was hoping to get some of your opinions about something. You all seem extremely experienced and knowledgable so I wanted to ask your opinion about an upcoming digital piano purchase I want to make...

I want to buy a digital piano. I've played keyboard casually and had some pretty high end Korgs, etc., but after much deliberation, I've decided that my interest lies more in piano than keyboard/synth. I recently came across a Yamaha P-200 at a local store here in Ontario, Canada, on sale for $899 CDN used. It had some scuffs, etc. I was just wondering what your opinions of this digital piano are? Is that a good price? Would you suggest other models (or would you recommend waiting until after NAMM)? I was looking at either a CP-33 or a P-155, but those can only be special ordered and are non-refundable.
So, the P-200 would be a lot simpler since it's already in store. Also, the guy said the P-200 and the P-95 had the same action? Is this true? I figure you guys are a lot more knowledgable than the sales associates around here, and would know more about going rates for DPs since the stores here pretty much charge what they want as there is no big competition.

Thanks for your help!!!

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1590856 - 01/05/11 01:37 AM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: DC_1988]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1590879 - 01/05/11 02:30 AM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: Dave Ferris]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
What you can get today is really light years ahead of what was going on back in 2001 or whenever the P200 was released.

1998 according to Sonic State

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1590893 - 01/05/11 03:24 AM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1591080 - 01/05/11 11:31 AM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: DC_1988]
DC_1988 Offline

Wow! I had no idea they were that old...totally forgot there was a P-250 after that model. Thanks for the info guys, I definitely think I'll pass. From what I've seen on craigslist, the store is definitely overpricing it. I will wait until NAMM finishes to see if any new models are released. I'm hoping to keep things around the $800 or so plus tax range, but I wouldn't mind saving up some more to get something around $1000 if there was a good deal on a higher range model.

#1591127 - 01/05/11 12:50 PM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: DC_1988]
RDW Offline

Long time since I tried one, but AFAIR the (GH) action was very good. But the single layer samples aren't going to sound as good as the 3-layer CP33 or 4-layer P155. To my ears, going from 1 to 3 layers was quite a jump in quality (3->4 much less so).

#1591189 - 01/05/11 02:00 PM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: DC_1988]
jeff749z Offline

Loc: United States
I have a P200 that I purchased used in 2005. It came highly recommend from a session player in Nashville. It's been a great purchase. The built-in speakers really add to the playing experience and you can run mainstage or a receptor through it and use it as a midi controller.

#1591203 - 01/05/11 02:23 PM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: DC_1988]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Originally Posted By: DC_1988
I've played keyboard casually and had some pretty high end Korgs, etc., but after much deliberation, I've decided that my interest lies more in piano than keyboard/synth.
It'd be a good idea to think thru what this statement means to you. Acoustic grands have three pedals: damper (sustain), sostenuto, and soft (una corda). When you think about playing are you thinking about using pedals? If you are, you'd want to be looking at console DP's, which also have the same pedals built into their cabinets.

I owned a P-80, then a P-200. Their graded hammer actions have a well deserved reputation for durability and quality control. I switched to a console because my definition of playing evolved and chasing the pedals around the floor became annoying. What do you want to do with a DP?

Prices seem to be higher in Canada. Dealers are flush right now, because Christmas is a high volume selling season. Prices should be lower during the summer.

Patience and persistence.

#1591301 - 01/05/11 05:18 PM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: DC_1988]
DC_1988 Offline

I definitely think I will be utilizing pedals. Honestly, I do not feel I am that technically proficient for it to be a huge factor for me at this point, but I would prefer it. I do not intend for this to be a gigging DP or something that will be moved around at all, so once again, I think the console piano would be best for me, actually. In this sense, it is looking like either the P95 or P155 are going to be my biggest interests at this point.

My biggest need is bare basics, great piano sound, great feel. I do not need sequencers, or tons of other sounds, drums, etc. I think in terms of DPs, you get what you pay for...so I am hoping to find something that is just great piano sounds and a great board. Of course, I'm willing to pay a decent amount for that, but I would rather not pay for things that I won't need.

What do you guys think of the action between the P95 to the P155? I think the P95 retails for around $700 here, while the P155 is around $1300. I have only played the P95 since they have them in stores here, but no one has the P155 so I can't really compare...

Edited by DC_1988 (01/05/11 05:19 PM)

#1591455 - 01/05/11 09:53 PM Re: First Time Digital Piano Buyer - Yamaha P-200? [Re: DC_1988]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
The P95 is fitted with Yamaha's Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) action. That action has lighter weights - the "hammers". That can feel good at first, but if you continue you'll probably want the Graded Hammer (GH) - a.k.a. Graded Hammer Effect (GHE)action, which is fitted on many models, including the 155. That one is a stage piano. You might want to check the specs, because I think that it can't be fitted with three pedals. CME makes a three-pedal unit which might work, but initial reviews said somewhere between pathetic and outright junk.

You might like a Yamaha ARIUS YDP model. The 141's are fitted with the GHS action. The latest model is the 181, the model that preceded it is the 161; GH/GHE action. That's where I'd be looking. The 161 is $1350 at Guitar Center. That's a big chain. YDP's are sold thru chains and online - basically not a Yamaha dealership. Are there any big chains up your way?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (A Guy, 36251, accordeur, adultpianist, 55 invisible), 1653 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153584 Topics
2250877 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
04/19/14 03:47 PM
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:46 PM
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
04/19/14 03:41 PM
Chopin - Op 9 No 1 help
by YoungNoir
04/19/14 03:29 PM
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
04/19/14 01:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission