2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1593018 01/08/11 01:52 AM
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Franz Chmel is probably the greatest chromatic harmonica player in the world.

Some of you may not know exactly what a chromatic harmonica is. It's the one with the "button" on the end you push in and out for sharps and flats. Any kind of music can be played on it. The diatonic harmonica is the one, without a "button", you see most blues players playing.

You can see him playing Zigeunerweisen on YouTube. He also plays other pieces.

Larry Adler was probably the most famous chromatic harmonica player in the world but Chmel is much more accomplished.

While at YouTube check-out violinist Sarah Chang's performance of Zigeunerweisen. She's great, lovely personality.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
I left out several harmonica players (harmonicists) in my previous post.

Rudy Hung--mostly classical and several performances on YouTube. He has an unusual vibrato but I think you can see how the chromatic harmonica qualifies as a serious instrument through his playing.

Chamber Huang. I believe he's deceased but he was a well-known classical player and did well with his harmonica manufacturing business.

Charles Leighton. A pop/jazz chromatic harmonica player and my very favorite. He really made it sing. I have his only CD titled "Angle Eyes." I see Amazon lists it as unavailable but a used copy could probably be found.

Robert Bonfiglio. Very accomplished and from classical to blues.

Tommy Reilly. Some classical and also pop/jazz.

Toots Thielemans. Jazz. Big reputation. Also plays guitar.

I know of a couple of jazz pianists who also play the chromatic harmonica. Something some of you pianists might consider for a nice musical diversion.

It's a shame that the chromatic harmonica is not considered a serious instrument by most people and much of that has to do with so many players making it sound like a toy or worse. Even the little diatonic harmonica is wonderful when played by a skilled player and one of the prettiest tunes for it is Shenandoah.

Hard to imagine but there are a couple of high-end chromatic harmonicas that sell for 5-6,000 dollars.

Bech

Last edited by Bech; 02/26/11 09:12 PM.

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission