Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#1598740 - 01/16/11 04:00 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:
Think which of these titles would be acceptable:

Why Chinese Mothers are Inferior to Western Mothers
Why Western Mothers are Superior to Chinese Mothers
Why White Mothers are Superior to Black Mothers

???

Uugh - makes me shudder.

Yeah, I understand your angst, but I guess the title doesn't bother me that much. The content, on the other hand ....

The language of the title is just shorthand for differences in cultural approach to a specific task (parenting), which is why I don't think the black/white analogy is all that apt.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1598754 - 01/16/11 04:33 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
PRESENTING:

Battle of the Maternal Stereotypes!
Chinese Mother vs Jewish Mother!
Wontons vs latkes at twenty paces!

(Winner to receive choice of new Bosendorfer or HongKong)

wink

#1600198 - 01/18/11 04:41 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Piano*Dad Offline

OK, thread resurrection:

IMO, a brilliant rejoinder to Chua. She's actually a wimp who shields her children from the truly difficult cognitive learning experiences!

Amy Chua is a Wimp
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1600728 - 01/19/11 11:29 AM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Argerich5405 Offline

Guys, I actually (sadly) read the book. The title of the journal article was quite misleading in that, the book doesn't read that way. It was an interesting view into a psychotic mother's need to control everything her children did/could do. In a way, Mrs. Chua spent the entire book glorifying the accomplishments of her children (winning 1st place at so and so competition) with the occasional not winning being the twists in the book.

Mrs. Chua's children already had quite a natural gift for music, it is unrealistic that every child would turn out the way her children did. I also couldn't help but feel disgusted (ENVIOUS) by the lengths Mrs. Chua took to win competitions/recitals (paying thousands of dollars to bring a music teacher along to an audition). I mean, SERIOUSLY? This is a very privileged family's story. They are very well-off financially to do the things they did with their children and had connections to powerful individuals who helped provide opportunities for the daughters to succeed in music. In short, there were many many advantages that these children had in order to succeed in music (not just talent) -- which Mrs. Chua completely ignores to acknowledge in the book.

#1600809 - 01/19/11 12:59 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Chua seems to be backpeddling a bit - Tough Love Chinese Style

#1600828 - 01/19/11 01:16 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
cefinow Offline

Loc: Western NC (US)
i have a Chinese friend, in her 40s, I wondered why she hated flowers, and once she got really angry when i commented on a blossoming dogwood tree... Any remark like "oh look at that ... bloodroot, or tulip, or forsythia"... would cause a sort of spitting sound of disdain. I later found out her father decided she should become an artist, and she spent many many hours as a teenager learning to paint flowers! She didn't even care to talk about it. So... when the Chinese approach works, it works-- and when it doesn't, it REALLY doesn't! (One day, out hiking, my friend said quietly, as if to herself, "Oh, pretty" when we passed a stand of trillium, and I didnt say anything, just felt it was good for her own soul to say that)

#1600956 - 01/19/11 04:30 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I wouldn't say Chinese parenting skills are better than Western parents'. I'd say that in general, Asian culture places emphasis on values that are different from Westerners. That said, I dont think it is fair to generalize Chinese in such a way.

Although my parents were strict, I was not force to get straight A or practise the piano. I had to beg for piano lessons. When I practised too much my mum would ask me to shut up. Several times she would attempt to end my piano lessons, saying that I'm good enough and no longer need lessons. I can hardly remember my mum asking me to practise music or do my homework, or requesting straight A. I only remember getting caned for getting a D!

Although I didn't turn out to be one of the top students, I managed ok as an "above average students" from primary school through to university, now ended up as a chartered accountant as my profession. I still love music, practicing violin almost everyday for the past 7 years, and now the piano. Would I achieve more if I had those "Chinese tough love"? Maybe, but I'd say I'd be a lot more unhappy and stressing myself out for not living in a big mansion, driving expensive cars and not having anything for my patents to brag about. I'm glad I didn't get the tough love! The thing I got from my parents is to be self-sufficient and strive to be a good person.

#1601632 - 01/20/11 05:34 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Because I have common sense (something Ms Chua seems to lack) I have 2 questions:

1 - what happens when you have several "Tiger Mothers" in a class? There can only be one "First Place." Demanding your child be first in every activity does not work very well if everyone is doing it.

2 - This woman is a freakin' Yale Law Professor, something one would ASSUME is a more-than-full-time job. How on earth did she have time to spend what sounds like 20 hours a day doing things like supervise 3 hours of piano/violin practice, or 2000 math problems a night (as an aside...how is that even possible??? At one problem per minute wouldn't it take 33 1/2 hours to do 2000 problems???).

One of a zillion articles 'about' her article pointed out that her claims a questionable. Chua claims her 3 year old was 'reading Satre'...it turns out the kid just recognized the words "No Exit."

Sounds sketchy to me...

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1601648 - 01/20/11 06:01 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Mr. Peabody Offline

Loc: Philly suburbs, Pennsylvania
One of my sons actually taught himself to read his first book when he just turned 4. Of course it was an even more difficult book than Satre...it was "Thomas the Tank Engine." My wife and I were incredibly surprised. Yes, we checked to be sure it wasn't just memorizing what was on the page. I wrote some of the words on a piece of paper and it became clear that he figured out some basic phonics on his own. I believe that he didn't want to wait for us to read this book to him so he just tried to figure it out on his own.

Mr. Peabody
Oh...and by the way, I happen to be...(OMINOUS MUSIC)...CHINESE! (Call social services right away!)

Edited by Mr. Peabody (01/20/11 06:12 PM)

#1601657 - 01/20/11 06:11 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Oh I have no doubt that preschool kids can learn to read. I'll never forget the day my little brother, who was about 4, had been messing with my Partridge Family albums (yes, this dates me, I know). He told me he put them all back in their cardboard sleeves. Since the records all looked identical I thought he'd just stuck them in random covers, and was irritated. When I looked I saw that they were all in the right covers! I asked him how he did it and he said, matter-of-factly..."I read them"(!) Mom and I were both astounded, no one had ever worked with him much or tried to teach him. He just picked it up!

However, this is a far, far, cry from "reading Sartre"...(as was what Ms Chua's daughter apparently did). She seems to embellish the truth quite a bit. Makes me want to suggest someone digs thru her academic publications and do some fact checking wink

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1601663 - 01/20/11 06:19 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Mr. Peabody Offline

Loc: Philly suburbs, Pennsylvania
Honestly, Sartre is such a Debbie Downer. Much, much better to read "Thomas the Tank Engine."

Mr. Peabody
Note to self: must berate my sons from 9:00 to 9:15PM tonight...just because.

#1601679 - 01/20/11 06:54 PM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Piano*Dad Offline

Quote:
Note to self: must berate my sons from 9:00 to 9:15PM tonight...just because.

grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1602015 - 01/21/11 06:17 AM Re: Article: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior to Western Mothers [Re: Mr. Peabody]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr. Peabody
Honestly, Sartre is such a Debbie Downer. Much, much better to read "Thomas the Tank Engine."

And I managed The Cat in the Hat at about that age in the wilds of Appalachia. No Tiger Mothers involved. (But there was probably a Mama Possum or two around.)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"How It's Made" and Cunningham Piano Co.
by Rich Galassini
09/30/14 09:43 AM
How many different actions do the Kawai digitals have?
by Giancarlo Robles
09/30/14 09:34 AM
Hearing the changes
by paul abrahams
09/30/14 09:07 AM
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, AaronH, ajames, anamnesis, 33 invisible), 1418 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157882 Topics
2318754 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission